General Television Thread

Hellfire

Arthur Chu's interview with AVClub about being a Jeopardy! contestant is pretty interesting.

Jeopardy! has been around for 30 years. All of the advice about how to study for Jeopardy! and how to play Jeopardy! has already been written. There’s a community online, called the J-board, of past Jeopardy! contestants and fans who just talk about this all the time. So I absorbed a lot of strategies from the greats. One of them was Roger Craig, who won a couple years ago and who broke the one-day total winnings record. He’s brilliant. He is a computer scientist, and he actually combed through an archive of past Jeopardy! games using an algorithm that scrapes all the clues out and figured out what the most common categories were, what the most common high-value categories were. Then he compared it to his own performance using flashcards to tell him where his most important weak spots were.

I had no idea about the J-board, and Craig's strategy is pretty neat.

I also had no idea Andy Richter was on Celebrity Jeopardy!, and now I have to see if that's on YouTube.

Apparently all stories about cats are banned. No stories involving cats whatsoever. That threw out a lot of my stories.

Man, I'm gonna be so fucking sad when True Detective finishes up in a couple of weeks. Fuck.

On the bright side, the anthology format assures us that the story will be completed with a solid ending, and there won't be any annoying cliffhangers. I'm also interested in what season 2 will bring with a new cast and story, albeit the same writer. The bar is set pretty fucking high.

2 minutes into Late Night with Seth Myers and I want to turn it off because he's staring dead eyed into the camera during the monologue and it's awkward to watch.

I went in to ep1 of True Detective with ridiculously high expectations and didn't think much of it at all. Does this pick up a lot or something?

No, you're right. I actually think we should stop harping about True Detective, and watch something awesome.

Like The Following. Or American Horror Story. Not this True Detective crap.

• Like 1

I went in to ep1 of True Detective with ridiculously high expectations and didn't think much of it at all. Does this pick up a lot or something?

No, you're right. I actually think we should stop harping about True Detective, and watch something awesome.

Like The Following. Or American Horror Story. Not this True Detective crap.

The Following has never been awesome. It's just season 2 happens to be streets ahead of a poor first season.

I really enjoyed AHS season 1, but that hasn't been all that good since.

I'm not saying I don't or won't like TD, just that the first episode didn't blow me away. I honestly don't see what was so good about it.

Man, I'm gonna be so fucking sad when True Detective finishes up in a couple of weeks. Fuck.

On the bright side, the anthology format assures us that the story will be completed with a solid ending, and there won't be any annoying cliffhangers. I'm also interested in what season 2 will bring with a new cast and story, albeit the same writer. The bar is set pretty fucking high.

I was thinking the exact same thing. How the hell are they going to top this season.

I found the first episode to be incredibly slow, that's all. I don't think by skipping episode 1 you would have missed a whole lot. That was disappointing seeing as it's only an 8 episode show.

You have no idea how wrong that bolded portion is, man. :P

TD is one of those shows where every detail is critical, to the point where I tend to watch episodes twice to make sure I catch everything. There isn't one scene that's not there for a good reason. It may not be action-packed, but it's still crucial. If the pace is an issue for you, you probably wouldn't get hooked until episode four when shit hits the fan, so to speak. I'd recommend sticking with it and watching through episode four at least and re-evaluating, but GoGo is right in saying some shows just aren't for everyone. I understand how the initial, methodical pace could turn some people off.

• Like 1

2 minutes into Late Night with Seth Myers and I want to turn it off because he's staring dead eyed into the camera during the monologue and it's awkward to watch.

Yes, hopefully he gets plenty of feedback telling him, that it's not Weekend Update anymore.