General Television Thread

Hellfire

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

A nice article that gives some background about the King in Yellow stuff that littered throughout True Detective.

It doesn't have to do with the article as I have yet to read it, but I haven't been able to yell about episode 4 yet, so I will do this now.

HOLY SHIT. YES! Wow. Loved it.

• Like 2

I don't want to sound like a redundant fanboy or anything, but TD gets better every episode. Total mindfuck tonight. So tense. Spoilers below:

Rust being the killer is an obvious red herring, right? It's gotta be some massive cult conspiracy. Everything points to that. Tuttle owned the school and was friends with the govenor who started the special task force. This is backed up by what that convict said before his suicide.

• Like 1

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

A nice article that gives some background about the King in Yellow stuff that littered throughout True Detective.

Yeah that article is getting alot of attention amongst fans of the show. I thought these two WSJ pieces about the literary influences of this show were also really interesting.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/02/02/writer-nic-pizzolatto-on-thomas-ligotti-and-the-weird-secrets-of-true-detective/

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/01/30/the-most-shocking-thing-about-hbos-true-detective/

As for tonight's episode...

From my perspective this episode makes it pretty clear that the killer won't be Hart or Cohle. I think the best theory I've seen around is that this cosmic terror cult is deeply entrenched in the government and cultural institutions of the state and Hart and Cohle (atleast Cohle) are still working at the case on the down-low. The juxtoposition in the last two episodes between their on-record statements and the reality of how key events went down play a big factor into that reading. I mean Cohle voices his suspicion of the special task force in this episode. TL;DR THIS SHOW IS SO GOOD CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT EPISODE.

Hey, he was pretty great in Scott Pilgrim, too!

Exactly! Guy deserves a boyfriend role on some sitcom. Or some bit parts in a few quirky indie films.
Well he DID have Role A (he was gay too!) but the show (Partners) got cancelled.

Anyone watch Bates Motel last season? How was it. I need to watch that, The Americans and House of Cards.

House of Cards is probably going to get the most encouragement, but it's lowest on my priorities right now, since it's all readily available and will remain that way, whereas the other two I can try and catch up to the new seasons.

Watched the first episode of Bates Motel, and I enjoyed it despite some really weird pacing. I give them a lot of credit though, they went pretty dark for a pilot episode. Vera Famiga is awesome, and Freddy Highmore looks like he'll do a great job of slowly becoming unhinged.

I did find it incredibly strange that a bunch of girls immediately flocked to him though.

Yeah, Bates Motel has a rocky first season, but there's some really good stuff in there. I feel like it's not set high enough expectations for a real sophmore slump, but certainly has potential for a great second season and beyond. Keep with it.

The Americans has an awful opening to the season (some of the subplots were just awful generic clichés, and I came really close to giving up), but gets tense and fun later on.