General Television Thread

Hellfire

Silicon Valley is a grown up version of The Big Bang Theory.

Fan of both shows. Very pleasing news

"Grown up version", the new favourite buzz word of hack reviewers now that "a darker version" isn't cool :P
I suppose this one would actually be accurate, though, considering The Big Bang Theory reads like it was written by a child.
  • Like 6

There was an episode of that god awful show on when I was home for Easter. The subplot revolved around;

"AHAHAHA. THESE GENIUS MEN FOUND OUT THERE IS A REALITY SHOW ABOUT SUPERMODELS AND THEY ARE SO DETACHED FROM REALITY AND SO SUPER HORNY YOU GUYS, THAT THEY ARE GOING TO USE TECHNOLOGY TO FIND AND WED THESE WOMEN. ISN'T THAT FUNNY?"

Bit late to the party and I want to avoid the thread for spoilers but I started watching Game of Thrones. Raced through season 1 in a few days, it's very, very good! Lovely to have a serious backlog to get through too.

• Like 2

There are no similarities between Silicon Valley and piece of dogshit BBT. One's a show about computer wizards who are at the bottom of the computer wizard ladder and the journey is going to be them trying to make their way up.

BBT is about guys who somehow know every fucking thing in the universe except how to interact socially, but somehow they're able to get the hottest girls (ALWAYS THE HOTTEST) and continuously make fun of themselves, despite it being something that geniuses rarely ever do.

Except Jim Parsons' character, he's like the only redeemable thing about that shitfest.

And I hate it when people defend it as background TV. Even for such a broad description, there are SO many shows that are better and worth it (Modern Family, The Goldbergs, heck, Duck Dynasty is probably better).

• Like 2

Yeah, comparing Silicon Valley to BBT because nerds(I guess?) is an insult. SV has that subtle, Mike Judge-style humor that I love. BBT is just loud and annoying and eww.

True Detective good? Seen it's playing on ondemand

I think anybody that watches it now is going to have a hard time seeing it live up to the hype and expectations the internet has created.

That said, I honestly don't think it would be considered so great if it weren't for the anthology part of it. It represents something wholly different than what we're used to (American Horror Story gets a bit of a bump because of it too, even though that show just isn't good) and on top of that features top notch talent like Matthew McConaughey? If that isn't a recipe for internet hyperbole, I don't know what is.

Still haven't finished True Detective. I like it a lot but don't love it. I basically expect it to not make my top 15 at the end of the year.

Now you've got me thinking about top __ TV shows. I have no idea what I'm going to put on my list, but we're not even halfway through the year yet, so..