General Television Thread

Hellfire

Max Landis (Chronicle) is adapting the Dirk Gently books into a series.

I have no knowledge of the books but seems like it could be a pretty fun series.

There was a half-decent adaptation for British TV with Stephen Mangan in. It has potential.

They'd better recast Mangan. Fuck it, just make it exactly the same.

Hasn't there been a push from the networks to make talk shows more globally friendly? This could be a result of that.

I wonder if this was Letterman or CBS making this pick? I'm not even sure why they bother continuing with a 12:35 show, unless they have to. It makes sense for NBC to keep Late Night around (at this point) because when Letterman left, Late Night was still very profitable and they had to fill the void. It has also made stars out of it's hosts (it completely reinvented what Jimmy Fallon was perceived as) and by now, it has a legacy. The CBS show has had the opposite effect. Craig Kilborn left The Daily Show for CBS and his replacement has become one of the biggest comedy stars in the world while Kilborn had that unfortunate incident where he vanished off of the face of the planet, which I think served as the inspiration for The Leftovers. The show didn't make a Craig Ferguson a mainstream star whatsoever. Like, why continue with the expense? You don't see ABC rushing out to have another late night show follow Jimmy Kimmel and they're doing fine.

Someone should do a Lost Kai. Take all the good bits, cut out all of the Kate flashbacks and dub in some explanations for questions left totally unanswered.

Halfway through the first season of my rewatch now, it's so slow. I think a big part of that is because I know what's coming and the first season barely scratches the surface of the mythos. But there's just so much Kate. I don't even dislike her, there's just so much. It'd be okay if it led to some satisfying pay off, but I've watched this show through like three times now and I still can't even remember what she actually did or why she did it! :P

I'll always love Lost. All the separate parts were fantastic, it's just a shame the big picture didn't work out as well as it should have.

I actually think Corden's okay as an actor (even if that is my Teachers bias as usual), but when will people realise he's not actually a funny man?

He's also a humongous tosser in real life.

That too.

Someone should do a Lost Kai. Take all the good bits, cut out all of the Kate flashbacks and dub in some explanations for questions left totally unanswered.

Halfway through the first season of my rewatch now, it's so slow. I think a big part of that is because I know what's coming and the first season barely scratches the surface of the mythos. But there's just so much Kate. I don't even dislike her, there's just so much. It'd be okay if it led to some satisfying pay off, but I've watched this show through like three times now and I still can't even remember what she actually did or why she did it! :P

I'll always love Lost. All the separate parts were fantastic, it's just a shame the big picture didn't work out as well as it should have.

Cuse & Lindeloff have said that they didn't think they had a shot beyond the initial 13, so they just had fun. The initial idea of everything that the island was "mysterious" and going to be a character, nothing beyond that after JJ handed it off. But you're right about Season 1 because the show was nothing like what the show evolved into and 22-epiosdes is just too much story to pump out for serialized, hour-long drama.

Hasn't there been a push from the networks to make talk shows more globally friendly? This could be a result of that.

I wonder if this was Letterman or CBS making this pick? I'm not even sure why they bother continuing with a 12:35 show, unless they have to. It makes sense for NBC to keep Late Night around (at this point) because when Letterman left, Late Night was still very profitable and they had to fill the void. It has also made stars out of it's hosts (it completely reinvented what Jimmy Fallon was perceived as) and by now, it has a legacy. The CBS show has had the opposite effect. Craig Kilborn left The Daily Show for CBS and his replacement has become one of the biggest comedy stars in the world while Kilborn had that unfortunate incident where he vanished off of the face of the planet, which I think served as the inspiration for The Leftovers. The show didn't make a Craig Ferguson a mainstream star whatsoever. Like, why continue with the expense? You don't see ABC rushing out to have another late night show follow Jimmy Kimmel and they're doing fine.

It has to be extremely cheap to produce and Craig was doing great ratings for awhile. He's by no means a household name, but he sells out big rooms doing stand-up, so I think it was a big win for a guy that wasn't even supposed to be the permanent host.

I imagine the promotional deals for CBS will keep it going, talk shows are basically glorified product placement.