General Television Thread

Hellfire

Finished House of Cards season 2. This review http://www.avclub.com/review/house-of-cards-still-deeply-empty-still-occasional-201183 sums up things quite nicely if anyone fancies reading it. It's good, occasionally great binge watching with really good performances, but starts to feel a little underwhelming when you consider a number of plot and character details. Either way, still a good and enjoyable watch.

So I've only watched the pilot, but apparently The Leftovers is starting to become one of those shows that make you eye-roll a lot? Is it starting to become incredibly pretentious?

No, not at all. It gets better and better.

I'm still enjoying the show. Gah....the opening scene on this weeks episode though...

So today I finally finished up Season 3 of Person of Interest and the only thing I can say is... Wow.

Every season has been better, bolder and more interesting overall. And it's truly one of the best thrillers on TV right now. If you like smart well-written thrillers, you're doing yourself a disservice by not watching this.

Jim Caviezel is a great actor who plays his role of badass ex-spook perfectly, and his character really has had an interesting development.

The bad guys of the season are just played by such great actors who play their characters to a T.

Clarke Peters (The Wire) plays an amazing corrupt Chief of Staff, John Nolan plays a great mysterious figure who runs a shifty corporation. Leslie Odom Jr is just an intense actor who just lives the role of anti-surveillance vigilante and later on in season 3 gets a really relateable story arc.

Then you have recurring characters, like a crime boss played by Enrico Colantoni (Flashpoint) and many many more guest actors who are just well casted.

Every season the stakes get higher and higher and the web grows larger, but it's clever writing makes sure that you can follow along at all times. I admit the first season and also part of the second season has a few ''story of the week'' episodes which causes it to drag at places, but it grows out of that and eventually it chugs along at a good pace adding story with every episode.

If you haven't watched the series yet, at least watch episode 1 and episode 4 of the first season. ep1 explains the series perfectly and ep4 for me is the best single episode of the entire series.

Watch it! I'm hype, I can't wait for season 4!

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2

Decided to finally commit to Game of Thrones. Picked back up with Episode 3. I'd watched the first 3 years ago, but thought the 3rd would be a good reminder. It's quite overwhelming with the amount of characters, but it's pretty good and I expect I'll really get into it.

So I've only watched the pilot, but apparently The Leftovers is starting to become one of those shows that make you eye-roll a lot? Is it starting to become incredibly pretentious?

I'm still enjoying the show. Gah....the opening scene on this weeks episode though...

I second that, the opening scene was tough to watch... and a bit surprising considering it was the first time the show had been that violent. As stated, I am enjoying the show too. The Leftovers isn't my favorite show on TV but still one I enjoy. The writing and character development is really well done.

I second that, the opening scene was tough to watch... and a bit surprising considering it was the first time the show had been that violent. As stated, I am enjoying the show too. The Leftovers isn't my favorite show on TV but still one I enjoy. The writing and character development is really well done.

Hell, most shows aren't that violent! But I really only had one complaint about that scene...

The blood. Like....come on. You could TELL that it was colored water

Soooo, Game of Thrones is both great and horribly addictive. About to watch Season 2, Episode 6. I quite like that I can just go back through the Game of Thrones thread and read everyone's reactions as if they were watching when I was watching. I only know one major spoiler to come, and a few characters who are still alive in the latest season, but it hasn't stopped my enjoyment from the show. It totally lives up to the hype.

• Like 2