General Television Thread

Hellfire

Resuming my Degrassi watch-through. I like to note things that seem out of time or just odd or just general observations.

Marco's boyfriend is pressuring him to come out to his family when one of them is very clearly "traditional". Seems like he should know that might not be the best idea in the world.

The asshole girl uses Queer as an insult. Especially odd since I think the show used Fag before. Even the more aggressive of the two uses Queer under his breath.

Oh god the CRT TV monitors.

Rick is back. This isn't the shooting episode but it just made me think. This is Canadian. Where the fuck does he just get a gun?

IRL would they ever let a kid like Rick come back to school? I feel like at most he'd be transferred to the next nearest school or put in alternative school.

Emma and Paige are such well written characters. Emma easily could be the evergreen goodie-goodie that never has a bad or wrong moment. Paige even easier could be the stereotypical uber-bitch, popular pretty girl that's evil to the core. Instead Emma has her total dick moments and Paige is actually a nice person and sympathetic to the people she knows.

The turn from abuser to bullying victim for Rick is done well for a one episode story.

Sean and Ellie thought: Are 16 year olds even legally able to live outside an adult's home? Like if I have a kid can I just let them live somewhere else with no adults?

Ashley's father: Is Life Partner even a used term anymore?

I feel old. Manny is supposed to be the hot girl but she looks like a baby to me.

A cutting kit. Jesus that's creepy to look at. I never actually knew anyone who cut.

There's like 4 old dudes sitting at a table watching a High School bikini carwash. Ew.

Side thought:I really like this intro. The show loses something when it becomes all greenscreen instead of school shots.

I find it odd looking back that I like this show so much. There's no one I directly identify with. 

Spinner is the worst boyfriend ever. He's a total uncaring dude-bro douche.

Rick, in what goddamn world is Emma going to kiss you when the last time you spoke to her she told you she still wanted nothing to do with you.

Oh.She did it. Even the cheek kiss seems like it'd be social suicide that'd get her bullied too.

RFR picked way better music than this show. Almost everything here is low level indie.

And with a new haircut Spinner's heel turn to complete bully is done.

This is the first half of the shooting two parter. I feel like we could have used more of Rick between his return and now. Maybe it comes off better in a weekly format but this could have been a season ender I think.

Once again, this is Canada. Why is there just a gun in his house? It's not even an antique. It looks brand new. I feel like I've asked this and been answered before.

Emma's mom says that no one gets shot at Degrassi yet when she went there a dude shot himself in the head in the bathrooms and her now husband was the one that found the body.  Again, how gun?

6 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Wait, Hey Arnold is coming back?!

For a TV movie, yeah. Coming out late November.

It sounds like they did a pretty good job recasting the kids where they needed to. Looking it up, the only one of the male students who has the same VO is Harold, so good on that guy for still being able to do the voice.

I've already warned him of that. Also I'm worried that even though I have like 2.5 episodes left to watch, Cloudy will finish it before me.

• Like 1

I'm only on E2 of S3. My mom will probably finish before both of us, I think she's like, midway through season 3 already. <_<

Season 3 spoiler-inos:

Spoiler

Like I said to GoGo on FB messenger, not sure how I feel about "cheekily named PMC with zombie domination plans". So far they claim they have an island set up to "self-segregate" on, but somehow I doubt that's their real plan.

They have released 5 new episodes of Adventure Time:

Spoiler

Jake reverting back to his normal appearance happaned right in the first episode. I expected that the entire rest of the season was going to be him trying to become normal again. But him still having this bat-demon-thingy inside of him will be of importance later on in this season.

And poor Fern :crying:

More Degrassi observations and thoughts.

I never heard a teenager worry about ratting on people the way TV teenagers do. They're still kids and most still default to "oooh, I'm going to tell the teacher!" on most things.

The dude Sean deafened is a dick and it was self defense. Why feel bad about it?

JT reminds me of my childhood best friend so much.

Ashley has lost nearly all her Goth-ness

Also this thing with Paige crushing on the student teacher is an interesting plot. He's in the right age range for her but he's a teacher. 

Speaking of Paige, she has some odd thoughts on Yoga. What's with the cult joke?

Ok, I always thought Paige looked like the oldest kid but there's no way she passes for 21. 

Oh wait, it's Canada. Maybe she can pass for 18 then.

I just noticed you can see one of the Season 1 characters in the intro still but she just doesn't get a credit anymore.

Holy shit, gay wedding and ADD issues in the same episodes. Funny that neither thing seems like a hot button subject nowdays. 

Why does Craig need a credit card so bad if he's got the money in cash? Can you not get a hotel room with real money? 

Jesus Christ, the ancient card scanners.

Oh crap. I's Bi-Polar. Why was I thinking ADD?

Finished up iZombie season 3. I can understand the dip in quality posts, but it was still largely good. I told GoGo it felt more disjointed than anything, and I stick by that - I feel like had they had more time (or a longer episode order) the same story could be told and told in such a way that it wouldn't feel like there were a million plot threads spinning around through every episode. Ah well. Now the wait for Season 4!

3 minutes ago, Broken Cloyd said:

Finished up iZombie season 3. I can understand the dip in quality posts, but it was still largely good. I told GoGo it felt more disjointed than anything, and I stick by that - I feel like had they had more time (or a longer episode order) the same story could be told and told in such a way that it wouldn't feel like there were a million plot threads spinning around through every episode. Ah well. Now the wait for Season 4!

On the flipside, it's better to have too little time for plot than too much and you end up with episodes where nothing happens. I can't say how much that applies to iZombie in particular but I know it's a bit of a problem with how the CW paces some of their other shows (*cough* The Flash *cough*). 

• Like 1

I totally get that. Season 1 & 3 of iZombie were 13 episodes, season 2 was 19. Those 19 episodes didn't feel - to me - like a single wasted episode, but that they were all purposeful. Compare that to season 3, where the order was shorter and there were at least a couple episodes I remember feeling like they were perfunctory, but entirely missable. Episodes where the last 5 minutes felt like the only important part, you know?

Yeah. I guess it's hard to say with iZombie, but to me it felt like it was kind of rushed and scattershot.

Spoiler

It also feels like Andrea Savage was supposed to be on longer/in a more significant role, but then she got her own show on TruTV and so they just blew up her plane out of nowhere. Not that Jason Dohring wasn't a welcome replacement.

but then some of the other issues I had with that season I don't know if they would have been significantly aided with more episodes. Like, I'm skeptical that Harley Johns/his brothers would have been any better as major villains with more episodes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GoGoya the Destroyer said:

Yeah. I guess it's hard to say with iZombie, but to me it felt like it was kind of rushed and scattershot.

Hide contents

It also feels like Andrea Savage was supposed to be on longer/in a more significant role, but then she got her own show on TruTV and so they just blew up her plane out of nowhere. Not that Jason Dohring wasn't a welcome replacement.

but then some of the other issues I had with that season I don't know if they would have been significantly aided with more episodes. Like, I'm skeptical that Harley Johns/his brothers would have been any better as major villains with more episodes.

Spoiler

Wait, so Andrea Savage's character is really dead? The way it was shot, I was honestly thinking that she'd come back sometime and faked her own death / unsuccessful murder attempt on her, and even after the season ended I thought she'd be around sometime in season 4.

Even so, season 3 had like so many things in the final 2 or 3 episodes that nothing had time to land before the next thing in the plot occurred. We didn't get any character development from the person that was trying to take over Filmore-Graves before she was revealed as the sub-group leader within it, then she was dead in that very same episode. Then the fact that the existence of zombies to the entire world felt so sudden and random, and everything was done in a very quick montage, really didn't land as well as the reveal at the end of season 2 that Filmore-Graves was a zombie-filled company.

• Like 1