General Television Thread

Hellfire

I'm only ten minutes into it but I am definitely in the "the new DuckTales is really great" camp. It's weird hearing someone other than Alan Young as Scrooge, though.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

They black out his dick. If you're up to episode 5 you'll see the video I posted soon enough. I think, it's sort of a Sci Fi promotion so I don't know. Are you seeing the weird commercials for the shows world?

Yeah, I've seen the video now. And yeah, seen some of the fake adverts. They've done a good job with this, I was worried at the start that it would be too cheesy but the violence and gore work well. This would be absolutely pants if it was PG.

I don't know if it's just because Blood Drive is so drastically different to everything else on TV, but I love it. How did it take so long for someone to create a ridiculous grindhouse TV drama? It almost seems like a "gimme" in retrospect.

Also, I like that the latest batch of Adventure Time episodes feel like a return to form. It's been a bit ho-hum for a while. The Mordecai cameo was great too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Benji said:

I don't know if it's just because Blood Drive is so drastically different to everything else on TV, but I love it. How did it take so long for someone to create a ridiculous grindhouse TV drama? It almost seems like a "gimme" in retrospect.

I have no idea either.

Its so stupid and dumb and stupid but I love it. It wouldn't be anywhere near as fun if it was PG and all that. Stupid daft stuff like this needs to be R-rated/18 otherwise what is the point?

Julian Slink reminds me of some other actor/character but for the life of me I cannot figure out who it is.

On 8/19/2017 at 17:32, MDK said:

I have no idea either.

Its so stupid and dumb and stupid but I love it. It wouldn't be anywhere near as fun if it was PG and all that. Stupid daft stuff like this needs to be R-rated/18 otherwise what is the point?

Julian Slink reminds me of some other actor/character but for the life of me I cannot figure out who it is.

Yeah, some shows or movies with over the top violence can be stupid. This obviously doesn't take itself too serious and makes everything fun. 

Slink is the standout for me. I initially thought he'd just be some cliche spooky master of ceremonies. Instead he is brilliant, funny, and somehow endearing. How they made this fucking guy endearing I'll never know. I also like that he's a deceptively bad ass fighter. 

"You think you can out dandy me"?

• Like 1

Just now, VerbalPuke said:

Slink is the standout for me. I initially thought he'd just be some cliche spooky master of ceremonies. Instead he is brilliant, funny, and somehow endearing. How they made this fucking guy endearing I'll never know. I also like that he's a deceptively bad ass fighter. 

Exactly my thoughts! I thought he was going to be some cookie-cutter-by-the-books bad guy but he is seriously the best thing about the show. Kind of like Hans Gruber mixed with some other people but I cannot for the life of me think of who.

Episode 3 of Blood Drive kind of bored me.

Spoiler

Consdering how much I liked the first two episodes I'm not going to take it as a sign of things to come, but yeah, massive dip in quality and long parts of it felt more like a generic sci-fi episode but with blood and a change of scenery than a grindhouse show.

Julian getting pissed off on the phone tho :lol:

I think I'm done with Nashville at the end of this season.

Spoiler

I used to like watching it as a bit of brainless drama, but without Rayna the spirit of the show is gone, and I am so sick of Maddie's bullshit it's unreal, especially when her sister is so much more likeable but gets about a tenth of the attention.

Anyone watching The Tick? I'm four episodes in, and unsure so far. It's mindless, easy viewing, so I'll keep up with it, but there's nothing really drawing me back.

There's the odd great line ("this is not a poncho library!", "mild mannered something-or-other", and "How much do you bench?" "No idea!") in particular, but it just seems tonally a bit off. I was expecting something a little more wacky, whereas outside of The Tick himself it's played just barely tongue-in-cheek. I suppose that makes the character of Tick stand out, but I just think they play Arthur way too straight for the concept as I know it.

Minor spoiler for, like, episode 1;

Spoiler

The suggestion that The Tick is a symptom of Arthur's mental illness doesn't sit well with me - I'd rather they'd not gone the mental illness route in the first place, but it just felt too obvious, and a bit too Birdman. And while it might go in another direction, the fact that other people can obviously see The Tick makes that whole idea redundant almost immediately.

23 hours ago, Benji said:

Fuck it. Dropped Midnight, Texas. Realised I already dont care about it on the latest episode. It's got the feel of True Blood but not the charm.

Funny. I was about to drop it after the previous episode, but this one changed my mind.

I wonder if the show went off the rails from the books after the first episode like True Blood did? 

10 hours ago, Skummy said:

Anyone watching The Tick? I'm four episodes in, and unsure so far. It's mindless, easy viewing, so I'll keep up with it, but there's nothing really drawing me back.

There's the odd great line ("this is not a poncho library!", "mild mannered something-or-other", and "How much do you bench?" "No idea!") in particular, but it just seems tonally a bit off. I was expecting something a little more wacky, whereas outside of The Tick himself it's played just barely tongue-in-cheek. I suppose that makes the character of Tick stand out, but I just think they play Arthur way too straight for the concept as I know it.

Minor spoiler for, like, episode 1;

Hide contents

The suggestion that The Tick is a symptom of Arthur's mental illness doesn't sit well with me - I'd rather they'd not gone the mental illness route in the first place, but it just felt too obvious, and a bit too Birdman. And while it might go in another direction, the fact that other people can obviously see The Tick makes that whole idea redundant almost immediately.

Spoiler

I mean, I think the "The Tick is a symptom of Arthur's mental illness" thing was just them making fun of an obvious TV/film trope. That's why they even straight-up referenced Fight Club with the "Where Is My Mind?" cover playing before the reveal that, no, Dot also sees The Tick. I guess there are subsequent things that could be interpreted as Arthur actually having some sort of superpower that manifests itself as The Tick but I don't really buy that.

Having binged all six episodes with my dad yesterday, I didn't think it was amazing but it was an easy watch and a good parody of current superhero TV, particularly the Netflix Marvel shows.The episode at Arthur's stepdad's birthday party in particular was great.

• Like 1

True Detective Season 3 officially a go with Jeremy Saulnier being tapped as director along with Pizzolatto.

It's official: HBO is moving forward with a third season of anthology True Detective.

Nic Pizzolatto will serve as the lone writer on the season save for David Milch, who co-wrote the fourth episode. (An episode count has not yet been revealed.)

Pizzolatto, who created the series, will serve as showrunner and direct alongside relative newcomer Jeremy Saulnier. Executive producers include Pizzolatto, Saulnier, Scott Stephens and season one stars Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey as well as original director Cary Joji Fukunaga. Steve Golin, Bard Dorros and Richard Brown will also be credited as exec producers.

Season three will tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods. 

As previously announced, Oscar winner Mahershala Ali (Moonlight) will topline season three as Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas.

"I'm tremendously thrilled to be working with artists at the level of Mahershala and Jeremy. I hope the material can do justice to their talents, and we're all very excited to tell this story," Pizzolatto, who has an overall deal with HBO, said Thursday in a statement.

HBO would not officially confirm that they were moving forward with a third season of True Detective until they found a director who would work with Pizzolatto on the series, which broke out after its freshman run but failed to win over critics with its polarizing second star-studded season. (The Hollywood Reporter chief TV critic Tim Goodman called it "confusing.")

"Nic has written truly remarkable scripts. With his ambitious vision and Mahershala Ali and Jeremy Saulnier aboard, we are excited to embark on the next installment of True Detective," said HBO programming president Casey Bloys.

Rumors have swirled for months about the future of True Detective. News leaked in March that Deadwood creator Milch was teaming with Pizzolatto on season three.

A premiere date has not yet been determined. Bloys said in July that Pizzolatto had almost the entirety of True Detective season three written — "I've read five scripts on the new season and I think they're terrific," the exec told reporters at TCA.

The True Detective revival comes as HBO is heading into 2018 likely without its highest-rated show in Game of Thrones (which probably won't be back until 2019), though Westworld — which wrapped in late 2016 — is set to return next year. HBO's drama lineup also consists of David Simon's The Deuce and the forthcoming Sharp Objects adaptation.

Saulnier (Green Room, Blue Ruin) is a prefect choice to direct, I just hope he directs most of it and Pizzolatto is only doing an episode or two.

Edited by livid