General Television Thread

Hellfire

9 hours ago, Lars Kuyt said:

Anyone watched the first episode of The Deuce?

god, I keep forgetting that the first episode's been available for a couple weeks now. I think I'm going to make myself finish the last episode of The Defenders (more on that in the Marvel TV thread within the next day or so hopefully) and then I'll get on that.

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I watched The Orville. That was...something. I am a sucker for futuristic visuals and it had a ton of good ones but man it's a really bad show. It's the year 2418 and they are making jokes you would make now which I always find annoying. Like Seth's character calls a blue alien Papa Smurf. I highly doubt the Smurfs stand the test of time for 400 years 

Is it not funny? That sucks. I rewatching Community now, and it's dawning on me how there isn't a fun, low stakes comedy show out there these days, at least one that's good. I guess the only one now would be the Goldbergs right now for me, and maybe Veep could be counted in that equation as well. Everything else I watch just doesn't have that crazy, over the top hilarity that Community and Parks and Rec had. Hoping the Good Place becomes that as well, it's on its way for me (and season 2 is like in 11 days!).

Was really hoping there'd be something this fall that could become that.

9 minutes ago, Hard BD said:

Is it not funny? That sucks. I rewatching Community now, and it's dawning on me how there isn't a fun, low stakes comedy show out there these days, at least one that's good. I guess the only one now would be the Goldbergs right now for me, and maybe Veep could be counted in that equation as well. Everything else I watch just doesn't have that crazy, over the top hilarity that Community and Parks and Rec had. Hoping the Good Place becomes that as well, it's on its way for me (and season 2 is like in 11 days!).

Was really hoping there'd be something this fall that could become that.

I liked a few of the jokes but it was outweighed by the stuff I thought was bad. I really love Adrianne Palicki too so that helps :P 

• Like 1

Late to the party, but three episodes into the first season of Top of the Lake and getting a lot out of it; Jane Campion's direction is excellent, it's got a really unusual and absorbing tone and has an excellent cast, including Elizabeth Moss, Holly Hunter and Peter Mullan. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out and hopefully I can binge the second series before it leaves iPlayer. 

Man, the Orville was not fun. It had a few good jokes, but all in all, it was just such a messy show, not knowing exactly what kind of series it wants to be, at least based on this premiere. It's such a weird premise, a dramedy sci-fi TV show that's not really a spoof of Star Trek? I thought it was going to be full of dick jokes, not robotic romance tiffs between the two leads.

On 9/12/2017 at 05:02, Hard BD said:

Wait, Elizabeth Moss was in something else? Goddamnit, now I have to add that to my watchlist as well :( 

Yep! I just finished it and would definitely recommend it. It completely has its own identity as show; the New Zealand setting is beautiful, the characters are complex and it has a really subtle way of revealing plot points that could be melodramatic, but instead are presented as just another thing that happens in an organic way. I'm going to jump on Season Two soon. 

• Like 1

I just started watching Master of None, and it's alright I guess. I like Aziz Ansari. I think I was just sold on the premise of a millenial guy struggling as an Actor in new york and juggling his romantic life and stuff. "Jack of all trades, master of none" kind of thing, but like, 

He dipped from being a shitty bit part extra thing and was like, I can maintain this massive new york apartment while I swan off unpaid to italy for several months, where I also have an apartment, and then I come back and immediately become a famous tv host. He didn't even get paid good for that movie he was cut from. How much did he fuckin get paid for that go-gurt advert

11 hours ago, K said:

I just started watching Master of None, and it's alright I guess. I like Aziz Ansari. I think I was just sold on the premise of a millenial guy struggling as an Actor in new york and juggling his romantic life and stuff. "Jack of all trades, master of none" kind of thing, but like, 

Hide contents

He dipped from being a shitty bit part extra thing and was like, I can maintain this massive new york apartment while I swan off unpaid to italy for several months, where I also have an apartment, and then I come back and immediately become a famous tv host. He didn't even get paid good for that movie he was cut from. How much did he fuckin get paid for that go-gurt advert

I liked Master of None at the start, it wasn't amazing but it was enjoyable and I like Aziz, but I found it really went downhill in the second half, and then the first episode of the second season just completely killed my interest in the show before it had even finished. It's apparently not coming back - at least for a while - so I don't really feel any loss.

7 hours ago, Benji said:

I liked Master of None at the start, it wasn't amazing but it was enjoyable and I like Aziz, but I found it really went downhill in the second half, and then the first episode of the second season just completely killed my interest in the show before it had even finished. It's apparently not coming back - at least for a while - so I don't really feel any loss.

I'm on the penultimate episode, I swear if the Italian girl breaks up with her fiancé for Aziz, I'm gonna be so pissed.

On 14/09/2017 at 09:55, Benji said:

Oh good, this wasn't just me. I got I think 4 episodes into season 2 before giving up on it.

On 9/19/2017 at 02:51, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I liked pretty much any episode that wasn't "rich people doing rich things". In Season 2, that was the episode with him and his cousin eating meat and the Thanksgiving episode. 

Those were the best episodes. I also liked "First Date", because I was able to relate to so many situations in it, and "New York, I Love You" was pretty fun, but basically when the Italian girl pops up in it, it sort of goes downhill. Like MCD said, though, episode 3 & 8 were hands down the best. How can anyone not like episode 3, especially, I would not be able to understand.

• Like 1

Man, the last two Rick & Morty episodes were great. "The Ricklantis Mixup"...

Spoiler

I had that twist pegged from the start. I've been waiting to see Evil Morty return for absolutely ages, and the second he was up for election I knew where it was going and fucking loved the reveal. Great stuff. I'm convinced that "our" Rick is his original Rick, and that's going to be revealed down the line.

Oh wow, the Orville is absolutely bizarre. Just... bizarre. I really wish Palicki would just go back to AoS because I don't really want to continue watching this show if it's not going to improve whatsoever.

Oh wow, the Orville is absolutely bizarre. Just... bizarre. I really wish Palicki would just go back to AoS because I don't really want to continue watching this show if it's not going to improve whatsoever.

On 9/20/2017 at 04:48, Benji said:

Man, the last two Rick & Morty episodes were great. "The Ricklantis Mixup"...

Hide contents

I had that twist pegged from the start. I've been waiting to see Evil Morty return for absolutely ages, and the second he was up for election I knew where it was going and fucking loved the reveal. Great stuff. I'm convinced that "our" Rick is his original Rick, and that's going to be revealed down the line.

Spoiler

I think so too. I think Rick was closer to evil Morty, being there from the start of his life(Hence the picture on Bird-Person's wall and Rick's memory of baby Morty) and his influence and teaching made Morty bad. Morty caused the end of their universe and Rick abandoned him there thinking he was trapped and came to "our" Morty's universe where their Rick wandered off and died somewhere. That's why he tries to stay a little distanced and doesn't teach Morty anything even though he clearly loves his Grandchildren. Evil Morty escaped and now is trying to ruin his Rick for leaving him.

Personally, I hope that Summer is an important part of beating evil Morty. Like, maybe evil Morty didn't have a Summer and that throws everything off somehow. Dunno, Summer's just my favorite character.

• Like 1