General Television Thread

Hellfire

I would go full into Boardwalk Empire. I loved every season, but season 3 and 4 are the high points. Some people also didn't like it, though.

I think the unanimous love here is for the Wire, so you might want to watch that. 

If you are looking for something gang-related but only got the one season treatment, then I'd recommend the Black Donnellys. The finale has a huge cliffhanger that didn't get resolved due to it being cancelled, though. 

2 hours ago, VerBlood Drive said:

I loved it, as did @MDK

I initially thought "this is going to be dumb ". And it was, but in a great way. Shame they cancelled it, but for one season, they wrapped things up pretty well. 

So, I got a question myself. I'm just about done with the Sopranos and wabt to start a show after it. 

Choices are The Wire, Justified, and Boardwalk Empire. 

Got to be The Wire

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

Yeah, I adored the other two shows too, but The Wire is tremendous. Just be aware it takes a while to get into flow, but when it does it really goes. I think it's episode eight that kicked it hard for me.

To be honest I think The Wire peaked early on with that "Fuck" scene. It was all downhill from there. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MDK said:

Fuuuuuck

In all seriousness, The Wire portrays a bleak story about the effects of the War on Drugs on one of the most poverty stricken cities in the USA. The politics surrounding it in both the PD and city hall, the cops trying to do the good thing but being held back by pettiness and a desire for 'numbers' rather than results.

But arguably the best part of it is how it shows the world on the wrong side of the law. The hopelessness of inner city youth who grow up in a shit environment and are doomed to copy it because the school system is inherently flawed to the core.

Also, the first time you watch Season 2 it's kinda 'bleh', but on a rewatch it's sneakily a powerful story in its own right, especially nowadays where the media loves to talk about the struggle of lower-class working to retain a job that's no longer relevant in this world.

But ultimately, the reason this show is easily the best crime drama there is is because it doesn't glorify cop work, nor does it glorify crime. It shows that both sides are just in a perpetual struggle (You can't call this shit a war) that mostly just chews up innocent lives, and builds careers of people that doesn't seek to fix things.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

But arguably the best part of it is how it shows the world on the wrong side of the law. The hopelessness of inner city youth who grow up in a shit environment and are doomed to copy it because the school system is inherently flawed to the core.

That was my feeling too (spoilers, but I'll try and keep it vague so if people want to click it then it doesn't actually spoil anything...

Spoiler

Prezbo's final scenes where he hands over the money breaks my fucking heart, because you know he knows what's going on, but he just wants to help break the cycle, and he's holding on to that vain hope that this one stupid thing, no matter how unlikely, might do it.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Benji said:

That was my feeling too (spoilers, but I'll try and keep it vague so if people want to click it then it doesn't actually spoil anything...

Reveal hidden contents

That is such an amazing scene.

9 hours ago, VerBlood Drive said:

I loved it, as did @MDK

I initially thought "this is going to be dumb ". And it was, but in a great way. Shame they cancelled it, but for one season, they wrapped things up pretty well. 

So, I got a question myself. I'm just about done with the Sopranos and wabt to start a show after it. 

Choices are The Wire, Justified, and Boardwalk Empire. 

Justified. Always Justified. 

The Wire might be the best TV show ever made, so that. Everyone's already summed it up - but on top of all that, it has some of the best character work TV as a medium has ever produced.

• Like 2

Do The Wire, then Justified, then Boardwalk. Everyone's already done a good job summing up The Wire, and I think it'll present a good contrast to The Sopranos.

Justified next because after The Sopranos and The Wire, you'll want something tonally lighter. Justified is a smart crime show with great characters and hilarious dialogue, but it doesn't deal with the weighty issues that the shows you watched before do. I will say that of all these shows, Justified does have the weakest stretches (season 5 is not all that good), but it's an incredibly enjoyable, relatively easy watch.

Boardwalk last because I think you want to put a decent amount of space between that and The Sopranos so Boardwalk can stand on its own more. The first season also isn't really anything special, IMO, but from season two on it's a really good show.

• Like 4

Yeah, Wire first. And to jump off what GoGo said, Season 1 Of Boardwalk is a tougher go than some (though not that bad), but it’s a necessary prologue to the rest of the series, which is pretty damn great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Do The Wire, then Justified, then Boardwalk. Everyone's already done a good job summing up The Wire, and I think it'll present a good contrast to The Sopranos.

Justified next because after The Sopranos and The Wire, you'll want something tonally lighter. Justified is a smart crime show with great characters and hilarious dialogue, but it doesn't deal with the weighty issues that the shows you watched before do. I will say that of all these shows, Justified does have the weakest stretches (season 5 is not all that good), but it's an incredibly enjoyable, relatively easy watch.

Boardwalk last because I think you want to put a decent amount of space between that and The Sopranos so Boardwalk can stand on its own more. The first season also isn't really anything special, IMO, but from season two on it's a really good show.

I think this what I will do. I had a similar thought going from Sopranos to Boardwalk Empire. 

I've seen bits of Boardwalk Empire so I know a bit about the characters. I just really like Steve Buscemi, he's a great actor and seeing him as a lead here excited me after his work in the Sopranos. 

Ultimately though, I will go with the Wire first. I have never seen it, and have no knowledge of it beyond the basic premise and a guy named Omar. 

Justified sounds fun, it'll be #2. 

It'll be a bit though, I'm on the second half of season 6 for the Sopranos. I really love the show, but always was interested in mob related movies/tv. They're such fucking scumbags, but the show has funny points, and great character work. 

Did you guys know Paulie Walnuts is in Goodfellas? Found that out recently and sure enough, there he was early in the movie. Obviously there are a ton of different actors featured in Goodfellas/Sopranos, but Paulie was an interesting one to me. 

8 minutes ago, HarshMillennium said:

Just finished Bates Motel and I'm looking for a new TV series to watch.

I prefer darker shows such as criminal minds. I have also already watched the wire, Justified etc that have been mentioned previously.

What's good right now?

I have started the second season of Channel Zero: No End House on SyFy. It is in the same vein as American Horror Story where the seasons don't tie into one another (except AHS does take place in the same universe). Channel Zero, however, does not.