General Television Thread

Hellfire

Grey's Anatomy returned:

Spoiler

It seems like they're using "brain tumor ex machina" as an excuse to explain why Amelia has been acting like a bitch for the last few seasons. If they really are going to use that tumor to retcon her character than that is some horrible and lazy writing. It's not like there is a lack of reasons for her to be miserable.

Aargh, Electric Dreams episode 2 had an even more ambiguous ending than the first, and rather than having to guess what happened next you actually have to guess what the fuck was going on. Really lazy to be honest, the kind that's designed to make you feel it's your fault that you don't get it, whereas actually it was more like they'd reached the word count on the screenplay. Hope the next is better, great visuals and good acting aren't enough to carry these on their own. 

13 hours ago, Colly said:

Aargh, Electric Dreams episode 2 had an even more ambiguous ending than the first, and rather than having to guess what happened next you actually have to guess what the fuck was going on. Really lazy to be honest, the kind that's designed to make you feel it's your fault that you don't get it, whereas actually it was more like they'd reached the word count on the screenplay. Hope the next is better, great visuals and good acting aren't enough to carry these on their own. 

Yeah, I tried the first episode, and whilst it's decent, I did get the impression it was a lot more style than substance. Don't think I'll bother with the rest.

On 30-9-2017 at 19:55, Benji said:

Downside, I just found out it was cancelled after this first season :(

If you're into other pulpy stuff, I got some more stuff to recommend.

Ash Vs. Evil Dead - TV Series based on Evil Dead, nicely done in 20 minute episodes so they never really expose their flimsy plots. Just Bruce Campbell eating the scenery and killing deadites

From Dusk till Dawn: The Series - Based off the film, starts a bit rough, mostly due to the main character trying to be a bit too much like George Clooney from the films and failing pretty miserably. Starts out as a cop drama with some weird occultic undertones, then at the half of season 1 turns into a ridiculous over the top romp through vampire killing territory. As with the film, produced by Rob Rodriguez. Finished after three seasons.

On other notes, I finished watching Dark Matter the other day. Can fully understand why that got cancelled, but good on the producers to drag three seasons out of it. Even though it had two producers of Stargate running it, it just lacked all the charm and 'depth' that Stargate had going for them. The characters are 'there', but none of them really make you tune in every week although one started to grow in that role a bit.

Just a show that started well with a nice premise, but never really grew from there in quality. And they never managed to really engross me as a viewer into the stories presented. Yet I did watch it through, because I had hoped they would find the spark.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Benji said:

I have been meaning to try AvED but I think it wound up on a channel I don't have and I couldn't be bothered hunting it out. FDTD has been on my list for ages, should get around to that.

Oh, completely forgot.

Danger Five is an Aussie 'action' comedy set in a weirdworld version of World War 2, with Nazi Dinosaurs, Nazi fighting robots, and a rag tag band of spyheroes. It's completely ridiculous and it makes zero sense, but the absurdism is also the best part of it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Colly said:

The third one was much better, and the ending, whist it had questions about it and the rest of the episode, was far more firm of one.

On 8/14/2017 at 21:02, Skumanoid said:

David Tennant and Michael Sheen have been cast as Crowley and Aziraphale in Good Omens, which is basically perfect casting.

Jon Hamm has joined the cast as Gabriel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lars Kuyt said:

What will this show be about? 

An Angel and a Devil teaming up to avert the Apocalypse, after the Antichrist is mixed up with another child at birth and brought up in rural England. That summary doesn't come close to doing it justice, though.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2017 at 13:00, Benji said:

Anyone who isn't watching Blood Drive... just do it. It's so dumb and brilliant I am totally in love with it. There's nothing on TV quite like it, and whilst I don't think it'll be anyone's favourite show, if you've ever taken enjoyment out of grindhouse or B-Movies in general then I think you'll probably enjoy it.

I loved it, as did @MDK

I initially thought "this is going to be dumb ". And it was, but in a great way. Shame they cancelled it, but for one season, they wrapped things up pretty well. 

So, I got a question myself. I'm just about done with the Sopranos and wabt to start a show after it. 

Choices are The Wire, Justified, and Boardwalk Empire.