General Television Thread

Hellfire

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/08/no-confederate/535512/

Great article about Confederate, the new Benioff and Wise show.

It's what I've been saying to friends for weeks. The idea of the show gives off the impression that everything is perfect because the North won. If the South won, things would have been so much worse. But that diminishes the fact that black people in America still face the consequences of the Civil War. 

• Like 4

Hey guys, I am stuck for things to watch at the minute and really need to get stuck into a series.

I am after one comedy show which is easy to watch and one drama series that I haven't seen yet.

List of things I have watched include, Big Bang Theory, How I met your Mother, New Girl, Sunny, Ballers, Californication, Silicon Valley, Fargo, Breaking Bad, Suits, Game of Thrones and Better Caul Saul.

Cheers in advance.

48 minutes ago, Oakesy said:

Hey guys, I am stuck for things to watch at the minute and really need to get stuck into a series.

I am after one comedy show which is easy to watch and one drama series that I haven't seen yet.

List of things I have watched include, Big Bang Theory, How I met your Mother, New Girl, Sunny, Ballers, Californication, Silicon Valley, Fargo, Breaking Bad, Suits, Game of Thrones and Better Caul Saul.

Cheers in advance.

It seems like you're pretty in tune with the Sunday night HBO shows, but you didn't list Veep. If you haven't seen it, start it right now. Other comedies I've been re-watching on HBO recently are Curb Your Enthusiasm and Eastbound & Down. I'm Dying Up Here is on Showtime, and it's a little bit of both (comedy/drama). Over on Netflix, I've been going through 30 Rock and Parks & Rec again.

• Like 1

Mr Robot Season 2 is pretty good. Not as much of a dip as the middle of Season 1, but not hit those peaks either. I think I am okay with that. I appreciate the three female leads getting much more time especially, even though Remi's portrayal of disassociative disorders is absolutely what I come back for.

I think my favorite stuff in that season was Darlene trying to keep fsociety together and pretty much everything with Dom. The "least objectionable product placement 2016" award is pretty much a dead heat between Dom trying to have an existential conversation with her Amazon Echo and Bagel Bites on Lucha Underground season 2.

Ozark isn't bad but a bit paint-by-numbers. You can definitely tell that the pitch meeting was basically "Justified meets Breaking Bad" and the pacing isn't the greatest for a 10 episode season either but overall it's good enough that I'm interested in seeing more of it.

Though I also might just re-watch Justified.

2 hours ago, livid said:

Ozark isn't bad but a bit paint-by-numbers. You can definitely tell that the pitch meeting was basically "Justified meets Breaking Bad" 

Sold.

Two episodes in and you can tell that Midnight, Texas is made by the same person who made True Blood. Haven't decided if that's a good thing yet or not.

Just started season 3 of Voltron: Legendary Defender. 2 episodes in, and lots of shifts in the story. Going to make for a weird season because they made all these changes and the season is only like 7 episodes long. I'm basically a third of the way in already, hopefully these pretty significant differences would have had time to land by end of the season.

And the Crown is returning December 8th! :D

It's not doing too great on Showtime apparently, but I'm really loving I'm Dying Up Here. I care about everyone on this show and I'm invested in their stories, which is all I can really ask from a television show.

Except for Edgar - what an asshole. Although he did tug at my heartstrings about an episode back, with the missing cat. Which I don't think got resolved, now that I think about it...