General Television Thread

Hellfire

Finished season three of That 70s Show and the ending just does not fill me with hope at all for where the show is about to go. I know at some point (I don't know when) that the show drops in quality according to most people, but I've really enjoyed it so far, and that ending feels like the show being out of good ideas and jumping the shark. Hope I'm wrong.

From what I remember, season 4 is alright. I'd probably give strong consideration to moving on after that.

I'll always have a fond place in my heart for that show. The episode in season 1 where they do the "take your kid to work day" thing is one of my all-time favorite sitcom episodes.

Going through season 2 of Love, and episode 5, "One Day", is a breath of fresh air. For a show about two people in Gus and Mickey who have hang ups about just about everything, it's a great episode to see. Really put a smile on my face.

• Like 1

I just finished Five Came Back, the Netflix documentary about the experiences of John Ford, William Wyler, John Huston, Frank Capra and George Stevens in World War 2 where they worked with the American government to make propaganda films. It's a really insightful series and it's genuinely moving - some of the work they made was incredible, but the series is also happy to point out the obvious flaws in the attitude of America at the time. It's a really interesting piece of history I knew very little about and I'm really glad to have watched it. Netflix also has all the films they made during the period as well, which allows an added bit of depth if you want them. One of which, The Memphis Belle, has some really breathtaking images that explore flight combat. 

Finished watching GLOW last night and my favourite minor, totally irrelevant, detail about the whole series is that Brodus Clay and Carlito are playing brothers and happen to share the same birthday in real life. I only know this because it's also my birthday.

• Like 3

God, they were so good on that show. John Morrison was a little flat and I couldn't get over the Alex Riley of it all, but Brodus and Carlito were cast perfectly.

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

One of which, The Memphis Belle, has some really breathtaking images that explore flight combat. 

My ex was obsessed with the 1990 film version of that as a kid, when I took her to the pub where the crew used to hang out and put their names into the woodwork, you would have thought all her Christmases came at once. I haven't seen it. :shifty:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 9 to 5 said:

My ex was obsessed with the 1990 film version of that as a kid, when I took her to the pub where the crew used to hang out and put their names into the woodwork, you would have thought all her Christmases came at once. I haven't seen it. :shifty:

You're a kind & sensitive soul and I miss you. 

Stevie Ryan, who rose to fame in part due to her celebrity impressions on YouTube and was given a sketch show by VH1 a few years ago, has died.

Suicide by hanging. She revealed on a podcast last Thursday that her grandfather had died recently and was worried that it would send her into a deeper depression. :(

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 12:21, Naitch said:

Finished watching GLOW last night and my favourite minor, totally irrelevant, detail about the whole series is that Brodus Clay and Carlito are playing brothers and happen to share the same birthday in real life. I only know this because it's also my birthday.

My favourite part of it is that the second time Carlito shows up, he's eating an apple.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2017 at 12:01, GoGoya the Destroyer said:

God, they were so good on that show. John Morrison was a little flat and I couldn't get over the Alex Riley of it all, but Brodus and Carlito were cast perfectly.

I didn't recognize Carlito at first, I honestly thought it was Ricky Ortiz since he looked so huge. It's one of those things about WWE wrestlers that you don't realize until you see them out of context of WWE: their "little" guys are still pretty damn big. Not that Carlito is freakishly tall like Brodus, but next to Alison Brie and Betty Gilpin, he looked enormous. 

• Like 2

I still need to watch GLOW. I started watching iZombie on Netflix a few days ago, and Degrassi's new season comes out tomorrow, so I've got those to go through before I start on GLOW.

Also, really digging season 2 of Preacher so far. One minor quibble:

Spoiler

Tracy's death is so OTT I thought it was purposefully designed that way, but apparently it isn't? I thought maybe it was a nightmare or specifically engineered by Hell because some of the lines are so corny. "Jenny Lewin hates me! She's a 5 at best! She'll tell everyone that Tucker cheated on me with a five!" sounds less like something a real person would say and more like something that would come out of the head of a teenage boy.

15 hours ago, zero said:

I didn't recognize Carlito at first, I honestly thought it was Ricky Ortiz since he looked so huge. It's one of those things about WWE wrestlers that you don't realize until you see them out of context of WWE: their "little" guys are still pretty damn big. Not that Carlito is freakishly tall like Brodus, but next to Alison Brie and Betty Gilpin, he looked enormous. 

I literally had no idea that was Carlito until I saw it on here. He was fucking enormous, wide as fuck.

I once saw AJ Lee and Paige have a match live, and was stunned at how big AJ actually was in person. She was still short, but shit, her arms and thighs were actually thick as hell.

8 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

Snowfall is cool. It's not mind-blowing, but it's perfectly fun summer TV.

Is it the "ghetto Game of Thrones" John Singleton wanted it to be?

If by ghetto Game of Thrones you mean a story told from multiple character perspectives then yes (though not quite as sprawling). 

At least, that's what I gather from Sepinwall's review. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Edited by livid