UFC News and Discussion Thread

I was rooting for both men in this one to be quite honest, but I still think it was too soon for Lesnar to get the belt. Now he has a reason to be even cockier then before. Couture will be back and if Mir beats Nog, then we can get Brock vs. Mir 2 and Randy vs. Nog. Tough night as an MMA fan. Kind of happy to see the man I followed in the 'E do it, but Randy's a great man.

Can't wait for Ultimate 2008 now. Should be even better.

Well, this fight went pretty much exactly how I predicted it. Brock won. Now he must defeat Nog and Fedor to completely dismantle Sherdog's message board from within.

Speaking of Sherdog, I present you now with the SHERDOG QUOTE EXTRAVAGANZA~!

wow, so WWE stars are now also good at MMA. fuckin ridiculous.

i don't care what anybody says brock put in little MMA work. And is gonna be crowned the best in the world by every UFC employee. i'm gonna puke too.

God what a fucking joke... Dana bashed EliteXC for Kimbo but how is Lesnar all that much different...

This is really disappointing. I hate when a huge dude wins with no technique and just superior size and strength. It's Kerr all over again but bigger.

The other annoying thing is the guy is two weight classes above Randy. It's like GSP versus Rampage or Kenflo against Dan Henderson.

could the undertaker train basketball for a few years and beat kobe bryant? could steven segal train boxing for a few years and beat roy jones jr? thats what just happened to the ufc. how fucking embarassing. every mmaist now has their skill thrown into question. we're going to get laughed at for a long ass time...

It sounds shitty, you won because you're fucking huge, not because you're talented. Go get subbed by Mir again you fucking asshole, you're not a champion.

Can't wait to see Nog wreck his dumb ass on the ground.

meh fuck the ufc man fuck this shit im outta here, not an mma fan anymore, i know that you guys dont give a shit but im pissed as hell....see ya guys

Huge leap back for the legitimacy of the UFC, wich was pretty well cemented.

Looked bad for UFC. Big muscle man out of breath, ugly looking style beat veteran a lot younger.

Professional wrestling beats UFC arghh

bad night for UFC

wow, so WWE stars are now also good at MMA. fuckin ridiculous.

i don't care what anybody says brock put in little MMA work. And is gonna be crowned the best in the world by every UFC employee. i'm gonna puke too.

definitely agree...those guys looked like amateurs in there...they barely even threw punches. Fedor can throw more punches in one second than either one threw the entire fight.

no, theres tons of talented wrestlers who didnt and cant amount to shit in the sport. he had wrestling experience 10 years ago, got kicked off an nfl team and wanders over to mma and takes the belt in a couple years. a big guy with wrestling experience can train for a few years and take the belt off the best the ufc has to offer. GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD the ufc and everyone in it looks like a fucking joke now to the rest of the world.

this proves that guys like the Undertaker would rule the UFC (LOL had to throw that in there )

Today is a great day to be a wrestling fan. Brock must never lose, just to piss these people off.

I wanted Couture to win this fight so bad... but at the same time, I want to see what Brock Lesnar can do against someone who's known for taking ridiculous levels of punishment, and still coming out on top, in a guy like Minotauro Nogueira.

Also, I know what everyone's thinking... don't get ahead of yourself, right? Frank Mir, as much as I like the guy, is not in the same class as Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Big Nog will beat him in December... and I can't wait for Nog/Lesnar.

This should be no surprise at all... maybe surprising that it happened this fast, but there was never a doubt in my mind that Lesnar would be champ someday. Lesnar = $$$ and it should come as no surprise that he got put in such a high profile match so early.

Not a bad match at all tonight. Good-great stuff all around. Stephens uppercut was a thing of beauty. Just awesome to see.

I enjoyed Gurgel vs. Riley but Gurgel really annoys me with him wanting to stand and trade instead of using his BJJ.

Maia is awesome. I can't wait to see him vs. Silva down the line. I think he will get his wish and face Michael Bisping and the winner of that will challenge for the Middleweight title.

Gonzaga looked good out there tonight. Nice knockout.

Hazellett vs. Tamdan McCrory was match of the night. Great stuff here. Sick submission by Hazelett.

Loved seeing Florian get the win. Can't wait to see him take on B.J. Penn for the Lightweight title.

And of course, Lesnar getting the knockout win over Couture was awesome. I love Couture, but seeing Lesnar win was just great.

Respect from my part goes to Brock Lesnar for being able to put away Randy Couture. It just goes to show that at least he's taking this seriously and is working and training hard. I never thought that he'd be able to take down Couture this early into his MMA career, but he really surprised me. I haven't seen the fight yet, but definitely will tomorrow.

Jesus, did Dana tell the ref to let Randy get beat on a little extra cause of his contract dispute? That fight should have been stopped like 20 seconds earlier than it was, Randy was getting mauled. He wasn't defending himself, his arms were just sort of flailing around. Good for Brock though, if he can pull it off against Mir/Nogueria, I don't see how anyone can see him as anything other than legit.

Jesus, did Dana tell the ref to let Randy get beat on a little extra cause of his contract dispute? That fight should have been stopped like 20 seconds earlier than it was, Randy was getting mauled. He wasn't defending himself, his arms were just sort of flailing around. Good for Brock though, if he can pull it off against Mir/Nogueria, I don't see how anyone can see him as anything other than legit.

There's no question that Lesnar is legit. He's working hard, and he's even maturing before our eyes. Tonight was the first time he's done an interview where he hasn't come off as a pretentious cunt since he started in the UFC. He showed respect to Randy Couture, and he sounded like a fighter. Good for him.

I still have a problem with him receiving this kind of opportunity so quickly... but I can acknowledge that UFC's weak Heavyweight Division didn't have a whole lot else going for it. Werdum/Couture would have been fine (in terms of the sporting aspect), but wouldn't have sold as much as Couture/Lesnar.

If Lesnar's been working on his submission defense at all, a rematch with Mir would most likely end up with a Brock victory. I do not, however, see him being able to defeat Nogueira, who, like I said earlier, is known for taking inhuman levels of abuse, and then submitting his opponent.

It was an exciting fight, to main event an exciting fight card, and I have no complaints whatsoever about tonight. Great stuff.

As bad as the MMA fans say it is for them, this is great for UFC. Dana White and many others knew a Brock win would be HUGE for the companies future than if he lost. MMA fans aren't going anywhere. They want to see Brock get destroyed and there are a handful of MMA pros ready to challenge him. Then, if Brock mows down all the top talent, most MMA fans will most likely respect him.

Yeah, some MMA fans might feel discouraged and stop buying the PPVs... MAYBE. However, Dana White and the UFC are going to be rolling in the money as long as Brock is in the company.

Lesnar's a mega-heel that UFC so desperately needed. Any time he is defending that belt (Which I'm sure Dana hopes will be a few times) will be a huge amount of buys. Great business move for UFC, and whoever beats him will probably succeed Randy as the most popular heavyweight UFC has.

Also, seeing MMA elitists freak out is hilarious.

I definitely agree with Maxx. I just watched the fight and it's amazing it wasn't stopped before it was. Lesnar was absolutely wailing on him on the ground and Couture wasn't blocking any of it. This was a really good card, I've been getting into MMA a lot more over the past year and this has been one of my favorites so far.

I hate MMA fans. No matter how hard MMA outlets push his NCAA credentials and the fact he is an athletic freak of nature, fans act like Brock is still WWF champion, coming down to the ring with a steel chair, rather than a camp that is front lined by Sean Sherk and Erik Paulson.

People all over the place are discrediting Brock.

"He hit a lucky shot." A freight train fist square to the temple from a raging bull ready and willing to throw leather is not luck.

"He was gassing." Yeah, it looked like he might have been going to that way. But then he won.

"Randy took a dive." Re. Tards.

The fight was like any other Randy Couture game planned fight, the only problem was Randy had little success offensively. He could not get Brock on his back against the fence (though he tried his damnedest), he couldn't get anything going in the clinch (Brock's knee says hi), nor could put together an effective combo standing up to set up an opening for anything, as Brock was ready to respond with his canned hams. The only thing Randy could put into effect was holding the clinch against the fence and wearing him down, which was working, but Brock was way too much for Randy to wash, rinse, repeat that strategy until Brock was truly gassed out and vulnerable.

I don't think anybody really understands the power of Brock until they feel it the form of a shot to the head. I really, REALLY liked Brock having none of Randy trying to transition to the back. I mean Randy's reversals and stand ups were more impressive, but Brock looked like a total pro in grabbing that leg just as Joe Rogan was about to bust a nut into 50's grill. Something so basic, I know, but it still comes off like Brock is fulfilling his potential. I was even impressed that he almost got full mount on Randy, considering it's Randy Couture, the man who wrote the book on full mount.

His battering ram stand up that has put down all three of his very tough UFC opponents to the mat, his bull rush shots, his beastly wrestling ability, and the fact he is still getting better makes me think that it could only a matter of time until Brock Lesnar is known for MMA, not pro wrestling. Not to mention the guy looks like he was taken straight out of a comic book or a video game or Greek mythology or something. Plus all that interest from wrestling fans who don't necessarily watch MMA too... Brock Lesnar = Money for the UFC.

Also, wrestling fans seem to be taking some perverse pleasure out a guy who wrestled purely for the money, for a relatively short period of time, coming in and winning the UFC HW title. It's almost as fucked as the blind elitist MMA fans not wanting anything to do with Brock Lesnar.

Also, wrestling fans seem to be taking some perverse pleasure out a guy who wrestled purely for the money, for a relatively short period of time, coming in and winning the UFC HW title. It's almost as fucked as the blind elitist MMA fans not wanting anything to do with Brock Lesnar.

EBG nailed the truth of it, 100%. Because both sides of that argument basically play into the fallacy that Lesnar's brief pro-wrestling background makes him any less an MMA fighter. If anything it's a sign of the times: that MMA has become the more desirable career path for a pure athlete like Lesnar. And that's what he is: not a fraud, not a pro-wrestling huckster. A pure athlete. Enough of the "Purists hating on the outsider", or "Outsiders laughing at the purists" bullshit. Last night a pro-wrestler did not make mockery of MMA, an MMA athlete beat one of the greatest fighters the sport has seen in only his 3rd UFC fight. This is GOOD for MMA. I was cheering for Randy all along and even I can see that.

Holy fucking shit, Couture. I would have thought you would have gone longer.

I was almost certain Lesnar would win if it turned into the trading punches affair that it did in the end but I would not have thought it would end in the second round. Otherwise, UFC 91 was really a great event. Great matches allround. Loving Mark Bocek, Dustin Hazelett and Jeremy Stevens. Christ, that uppercut was brutal.