UFC News and Discussion Thread

Dana should issue Chuck Liddell an ultimatum: if you want to keep fighting, you move up to heavyweight and fight Brock. I would love to see Brock steamroll Liddell.

And I could maybe see Dos Santos giving Brock some trouble in the early going, but his takedown defense is kinda untested, so that's a big question mark going in. I dunno, Brock's just such a total package that finding any real flaws is difficult to do. Plus, he just gets so much cannier with each fight that it's only going to get more difficult.

Edited by Heel Turn

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Weak takedown defence isn't a problem though, if you're good enough with BJJ (not saying Dos Santos is). Catching Brock in a submission is definitely the easiest potential way to beat him, and in that case it doesn't matter who takes the fight to the ground.

I can't think of anyone who can take Lesnar. If Lesnar came to MMA Five years ago, Fedor, Arlovski, and maybe Cro Cop.

Roy Nelson is a fantastic grappler who can go the distrance, has KO power, and has only been stopped once (by pre-Fedor't Arlovski). Maybe Nelson can do it?

Brock gets better and smarter after each fight, much like Michael Tarver gets stronger when he consumes the soul of suckas who cross his path. I'm sure he'll lose again eventually, but he's pretty fucking impressive for a guy with so little experience. He's basically learning on the job at the highest level in the world and that's amazing whether you like him or not.

• Like 1

I think Brock proved that he can power out of submission attempts. Carwin, if he can win against one or two opponents, deserves one more shot at Brock. Still, Brock managed to win. Winning this fight after coming so close to defeat says a lot about Brock and his toughness.

I've been watching UFC since Ultimate Fighter 1, I've seen a ton of shows...and this was probably the best card I've seen.

Every single fight shown ranged from above average to amazing. The main event also totally lived up to the hype, both of Carwins punching power and Lesnars wrestling. I don't see how anybody can deny how amazing Lesnar is after that match, and I gotta be thinking that Cain is in serious trouble.

But to me, the fight of the night goes to Leben/Akiyama. It's up there as one of the best fights I've seen. They just absolutely and completely tore into each other for the whole time, and the crowd was loud as hell. Winning 2 fights in 2 weeks is unheard of, so I think Leben is about to jump back up the ranks, and I'd love to see him and Silva fight, as he requested.

But yeah, amazing card, every fight was awesome.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I hate Chris Leben even more :shifty:

But damn I didn't even expect Lesnar to do the Arm Triangle, I mean I thought it wasn't locked in at first but then he cranked it up a bit more. Was it his gameplan? I dunno. Was it a surprising finish? Hell yes.

Apparently most of the training he did with Couture was on turning wrestling into submissions.

I can't get as excited about a guy who runs backwards when he gets hit like Lesnar does as everyone else. He looked dreadful in the stand-up department, and though he has power, Carwin isn't exactly high caliber there either. Still, a great turnaround and Brock demonstrated his progress as a fighter locking up that submission. The guy only has two years training under his belt, so his potential is limitless. I still think Cain Velasquez is a bad motherfucker who is going to take it to Brock pretty good. Cain is a way better wrestler than Carwin, who as I said before, was nowhere near the caliber of Brock in wrestling. Velasquez might be.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The best part of that video was right at the end when Heyman cut a promo on pro wrestling with about half a second to think about it.

Just watched a couple fights from the show. So glad Brock won, I'm not a big Carwin fan. It was surprising to see him finish Carwin off with the arm triangle though. Akiyama/Leben was awesome. Both guys took some serious shots and just shook them off. I like Leben more and more every time I see him fight and I want to see more of Akiyama now.