UFC News and Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Gazz said:

How?

When they book a fight, they don't know if they're going to get a FOTY candidate or 15/25 minutes of lay and pray.

Rather pay for 5 boring fights between top contenders than 5 boring fights where only 2 of them matter. They don't know, but somehow the last few times they've properly stacked a card they've been ridiculously entertaining. 

Also, there have been 7 new champions this year, with only Robbie, Demetrious and TJ retaining their belts this year, and two of those only defended their belts once. Crazy crazy year.

Some people are claiming that Aldo never said it wasn't a fight and that he was mistranslated. 

Very surprised by the results of both co main and main event. Even as a huge Weidman fan, I can't take anything away from Rockhold because he's always been a beast as well. I really never expected the main event to end so quickly but even from the very beginning, Aldo simply looked like he'd already been beaten.

None of these fights seem to be going my way. I was really hoping for Cowboy and Dos Santos wins. I know they're dickheads but I can't help but love The Diaz Brothers so I was happy to see Nate pick up the win and surprisingly easier than I thought he would.

3 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

Oh man, this is a fun fight. And on Fight Pass? Wow. What a decision, considering Silva can probably get a bunch of buys on PPV even now.

I'm assuming they're going to try to market it better than what they have been doing.

What I found on Google ...

B) Fouls: 1) Intentional: a) If an injury is severe enough to cause the immediate termination of a contest, the contestant causing the injury loses by disqualification. b) If an injury is produced and the contest is allowed to continue, the referee will notify the authorities and automatically deduct 2 points from the contestant who committed the foul. Point deductions for intentional fouls will be mandatory. c) If an injury as described in (b) above is the cause of the contest being stopped in a later round, the injured boxer will win by TECHNICAL DECISION, if he is ahead on the scorecards. d) If an injury as described in (b) above is the cause of the contest being stopped in a later round, the contest will result in a TECHNICAL DRAW, if the injured contestant is behind or even on the scorecards. e) If a contestant injures himself while attempting to foul his opponent, the referee will not take any action in his favor and the injury is the same as one produced by a fair blow.

• Like 1

The fight in question was fought under Shootboxing rules (no takedowns allowed) and was stopped due to a cut, which would be classed as a 'Technical Decision' under shootboxing rules. If it was MMA, it would have been a TKO.

In MMA rules, the referee can rule for a bout to be judged as a technical decision if an accidental foul results in a fighter being unable to continue, but they can only do it in the final round of a three round fight or after the third in a five round fight, Micheal Bisping beat Alan Belcher by technical decision at UFC 159 when an accidental eye poke meant Belcher couldn't continue in the final round, since Bisping was ahead on the score cards, he won a technical decision.