UFC News and Discussion Thread

What I don't get about the whole situation is this:

Novitzky stated that an August 9th test came back clean. On August 29th, a test came back positive for 19 picograms of Turinabol. On September 18th, his test was positive again for 19 picograms. Then his next four tests from late September to early December all came back negative. Finally, on December 9th his test was positive again, this time in the range of 60 to 80 picograms. 

So, if I'm correct, USADA were stating that the test result was due to the failed test back in 2017....so how does it go down from 19 picograms to 0 picograms for a period of 2/3 months to then testing in a range of 60 to 80. Even though I don't really know much about chemistry how do you go from having a steady level to then having zilch to then testing high without having taken something in the meantime? 

57 minutes ago, SeanDMan said:

To actually show some self awareness for once in his life?

I think the idiot is sort of in an impossible spot. No matter what he says, he'll have doubters. However, especially for this week, he has a fight to sell, plus his "legacy", however tarnished it is now. 

I just don't see how he can say anything that's right. He's screwed up so much, no one believes anything coming out of his mouth anyway. 

Fuck Jon Jones. The moment belongs to Amanda Nunes, don’t think many, if any predicted that one. Incredible performance.

Some fun fights earlier in the night, too. Ryan Hall is a leglock wizard. Sure, he fought BJ Penn in 2018, but his technique was something else.

And Nathaniel Wood showed that he is legit on Fight Pass, dominating his opponent. Was at his last fight before the UFC picked him up, and he is just electric. Also bumped into him at a Cage Warriors show a few weeks ago, and it struck me just how tiny a bloke he is yknow. 

I enjoyed seeing Nunes win and was unhappy at Jones' victory, although I didn't expect Gustafsson to overcome him.

If Lesnar were to return to face Jones or Cormier, would anyone actually expect him to win? I know he'd have a size advantage, but he's also 41 years old, has a history of diverticulitis and lost the last two fights of his initial UFC run quite handily. Is there something I'm missing or would it mostly just be a payday for Lesnar?

2 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I enjoyed seeing Nunes win and was unhappy at Jones' victory, although I didn't expect Gustafsson to overcome him.

If Lesnar were to return to face Jones or Cormier, would anyone actually expect him to win? I know he'd have a size advantage, but he's also 41 years old, has a history of diverticulitis and lost the last two fights of his initial UFC run quite handily. Is there something I'm missing or would it mostly just be a payday for Lesnar?

You're about right about the Lesnar thing. There's still some interest in seeing him fight because he's such a freak of nature athlete, but as far as winning matches is concerned I don't see him getting past DC or Jones in a fight, he struggled against Mark Hunt in his last fight after which he got caught using too.

Jones and DC are wildly different heavyweights, completely different to the kind of fighter you saw when Brock had his first run. So I really can only see him getting caught out with the kind of athleticism that wasn't there the last time around.

But of course, the money is there and Brock does what Brock wants. He'd be a fool not to take a big fight purse for one more fight.

Interesting point about Jones and Cormier being more athletic heavyweights than those Brock has faced before. As I've said a few times, I don't follow MMA on anything more than a basic level, but I've read several times that the fighting styles are developing so rapidly that comparing fighters of different time periods is more or less meaningless. I suppose it shows how good someone like Georges St Pierre is to come back after several years out and still operate at a high level.

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

The light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions are so shallow that any fights for the title might as well be fun crazy fights. Gus came back from some 500 day layoff and was still the number one contender because everyone below him, DC and JBJ are basically in another level of talent altogether. I mean, Anthony Smith is basically the next guy in line at 205, who's basically a mid-tier middleweight with cardio for like a round and a half. 

Stipe getting a rematch is like the only viable option at heavyweight from a meritocracy standpoint. The guy, however is such an incredibly boring person that can't sell shit and if the options are him and a Lesnar big money fight that will have a fun crazy build up and might have insane ramifications in the cage, why not go the Brock route? Let Jones and Lesnar get as juiced to the gills as possible and go at it, it'll be entertaining as hell. My preference is still DC / Brock, though. I want Cormier to get his red panty night and ride off into retirement with a smile on his face. Even if they'll have super goofy face-offs like the one they did in July. In my mind, it's still cool that they might do it because I'll never forget that Daniel Cormier was just a silly wrestling fan who was sitting in the cheap seats at Wrestlemania 31 watching a Brock Lesnar main event.

2 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Yeah, but that Imanari roll

That's a sushi roll and you know it. Stop making stuff up.

That Nunes/Cyborg match was something else. I expected it to be a war, and it really was for as long as it lasted. Both women came out and swung for the fucking fences and it was glorious. Nunes had on point striking that was just beautiful to watch. I think this was actually the first card where I enjoyed every fight. Even the main event, which I wasn't expecting a lot out of wasn't bad. I don't think Gus has been the same since that first fight with Jones so I wasn't expecting him to win but I would have preferred that. I hate that Jones is basically untouchable even with the amount of bullshit he pulls.

• 3 weeks later...

So the UFC will be having new championship belts going forward. Not sure what to think tbh. I mean FROM  branding opportunity it looks alright but from a perspective of aesthetics for a championship belt. 

I'm not so sure yet. Could be a grower

Really wanted to see Greg Hardy get battered, but having the crowd jeer him as he got DQed for a blatantly illegal knee was just as good. Landed a cheap shot on Crowder as Big Dan was pulling him away as well. Scum.

TJ Dillashaw hasn’t come out of this weekend looking good either mind. Always preferred him to the Team Alpha Male guys, but now I think he’s just as bad. His attitude after the fight has been embarrassing.