UFC News and Discussion Thread

Its an ok fight given the circumstances, I don't see what you are getting at with the "Contracts are based on appearances" Quom, Silva will not go anywhere from the UFC, he will simply sign a new contract when it is due, and as recently as the wekeend he was saying he would like to keep fighting with the UFC for another 6 years, there are not many options for him to go elsewhere and this proves how much the company can rely on him in a tight spot, the fights in Brazil and is against a well known, tough opponent, not great booking but certainly not terrible booking considering what has happened to the card.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I like the Bonnar/Silva booking. Stephan has said that he is considering retirement, he is known for having absolute battles with just about everyone and he can take a punch and a kick and dish some craziness out of his own, so fighting the best fighter in the world, in a fight that might turn out to be madly entertaining is a great way to go out if Bonnar decides on that route.

Its an ok fight given the circumstances, I don't see what you are getting at with the "Contracts are based on appearances" Quom, Silva will not go anywhere from the UFC, he will simply sign a new contract when it is due, and as recently as the wekeend he was saying he would like to keep fighting with the UFC for another 6 years, there are not many options for him to go elsewhere and this proves how much the company can rely on him in a tight spot, the fights in Brazil and is against a well known, tough opponent, not great booking but certainly not terrible booking considering what has happened to the card.

Last I heard he was retiring once this contract was up? There was loads of talk he wasn't even going to sign this last one as he was thinking of retiring on top or switching to boxing.

Also if Stephan makes it to the judges and it's not because Silva has done his stupid bullshit where he loses interest and starts dancing I will do something foolish for everyone's amusement.

No, Bonnar taking Silva the distance is almost impossible (but then again, this is MMA), but it will be an extremely entertaining, be it a war or a demolishing.

It's not the best booking, but it's not terrible.

Quom, just asking, could you hating this match have anything to do with your hate on Bonnar? I remember you saying something about him being unattractive or a pedophile or something.

No, I said he was the most boring man I had ever seen and was shit. But no, I can live with Bonnar provided he is used properly, which is basically as an entrance level gatekeeper or the guy you fight if your contract is on the line. I just don't think he has any business main eventing a UFC show on cable, let alone a PPV.

I think it has more to do with the UFC not having anyone who wants to fight on short notice, and in Brazil, for that matter. I'm pretty sure that Silva took this fight only because it's in Brazil against Bonnar. Pretty sure if it was against a Weidman, Boetsch or Vitor he would have said no. This was the most profitable and most must see fight the UFC could have gotten it this late.

As much as fighters talk a lot of game, we all know that fighters who usually take fights on short notice do it because they have a lot more to gain than to lose. Vitor and Chael were both given golden opportunities and took it. Barao did the same thing. You don't fight a high quality guy on short notice unless you have something to gain.

I truly believe this was the best fight the UFC could give us right now.

I have to say, I'm coming back around on Anderson Silva. I was quite irritated by his attitude with Chris Weidman and Anderson basically being given complete power of veto over who gets title shots, but his willingness to step back up to fight on 151 and now 153 has impressed me. He's not doing it out of the goodness of his heart and he is obviously fighting an opponent who's almost no threat to him, but he's shown he's willing to be a company guy. And I respect him for that.

Lombard showed nothing in his debut fight and I can't see him winning this one either. The biggest question in my mind is whether he'll get bounced out with a 0-3 record at the start of next year or drop a weight class after losing his kneecap and start with a cleaner slate.

No, I said he was the most boring man I had ever seen and was shit. But no, I can live with Bonnar provided he is used properly, which is basically as an entrance level gatekeeper or the guy you fight if your contract is on the line. I just don't think he has any business main eventing a UFC show on cable, let alone a PPV.

Going a bit overboard there Quom, surely you've seen Fitch fight before? :P

I like this fight. It'll be one of the biggest shocks in UFC history if Silva doesn't win and I really do expect it to be an utter demolition, but the last thing you can call Bonnar is boring. He'll come to fight and give it everything. He might get sheer dismantled, but you know what you're going to get with Bonnar and it's tough to see us not getting something entertaining here. Either Bonnar get's completely destroyed in amazing fashion or he somehow pulls off a near on miracle and wins, certainly got me interested.

• 2 weeks later...