UFC News and Discussion Thread

Didn't see anything before the Flyweight title fight, which Johnson definitely deserved to win. He was the better fighter for 3 rounds, which matters most. Vitor was super close to ending the fight in the first, but after that it was all Jones.

I see Bisping won, I wonder if now's the time for him to be sacrificed to Silva?

I'll have more thoughts tomorrow.

Found it odd that Vitor kept pulling guard, but given he was hurt by Jones' kicks and had a short training camp and thus wasn't in top shape, I suppose it makes sense. Add in the fact that he was able to trap Jones in that tight armbar in round one and got him in triangle position in round two, it wasn't too farfetched for Vitor to think his best shot at victory was a submission... Still wish he would've gone for broke and tried to knock Jones out, which I guess he did in round four, only to get taken down and put in that nasty Americana. Sick fight all around, though. I don't regret watching it or the Flyweight Title bout for that matter. Not sure what the booing was about, but the fight between Benavidez and Mighty Mouse was fast, furious, and fun. I'll look forward to Uncle Creepy working his way to a rematch against Johnson and hopefully taking the belt, though.

Rogan put it best "Some people just want to see blood." They were booing because they weren't there for a technically sound, entertaining fight, they were there for a guy to get his skull pounded in after a round. It's the nature of the beast.

Would have thought they would have been satisfied by this (spoilered just in case):

Hybridfusion_3dwmv013_zps108c485c.gifshifty.gif

Vitor was actually using a pretty smart, gameplan, I thought. He couldn't deal with Jones' reach, so he went down to something that could even the odds a little more. His mistake that led to his downfall was the way he pulled guard the last time, he did it so clumsily that Bones managed to hit side control almost immediately and from there it was over.

The first two time Vitor pulled guard, he jumped up and secured it. The last one he kind of just fell down and pulled Jon Jones with him.

Stann versus Bisping was pretty great, too. Great card all around, though I think the live fans were just sick of the decisions coming one after the other.

Vinny's armbar gave me wood.

THIS

And going back a couple of pages to answer Quom...

Last I heard from Anderson's own mouth (admittedly a couple of months ago) was he was expecting to keep fighting for about 4 more years. The guy can make a lot of money doing this for the next few years, if he is not inured and banged up too much then he was saying why not keep winning and earning?

Some thoughts:

- Split decision for Mighty Mouse vs Benavidez: Allthough I also think Johnson won it, Benavidez was the aggressor in most of the fight. Mighty Mouse was more focused on counterstriking. As we've seen many times before, this could potentially lead to some very bizarre/boring fights. Maybe that was also the reason some of the audience were booing. I was also looking for Johnson to engage more (allthough I woudn't have been booing).

Oh, and it's a bit stupid of Rogan & Goldberg to complain about the fans 'only wanting blood and broken skulls' when a halfhour before they were joking about how great the times were when Coleman was headbutting opponents to oblivion. Great technique?

- Jones is phenomenal, but he looked a bit uninterested. I think he had a hard time motivating himself for this fight. He also got caught in that triangle... I hope Hendo is next and not Sonnen.

- Bisping looked good, but not great. Still hard to see him as a worthy opponent for Anderson Silva (allthough the hype and talk before would be great).

- Swanson's KO was very nice too. He's close to title contention, I guess. But Aldo would be a very difficult opponent for him, he's not likely to catch Aldo as he did with Oliveira.

- Only 'mediocre' fight was Hamill-Hollett. The fight didn't do anything to improve both guys I think. Hamill didn't impress, Hollett made a bad debut.

I am currently liking having TUF back, I have not been bothered about it recently, but I like the look of the new US series, with Carwin and Nelson and being a Brit, The Smashes is entertaining, I seriously can't wait to see how this goes.