UFC News and Discussion Thread

Then Cub is not a top 145er in that scenario

I also didn't get the memo where winning fights by decision was a bad thing, so thanks for letting me know (Y)

When did i say it was a bad thing?

Your use of wording was very telling:

"Cause Chad Mendes would decision the crap out of Cub Swanson"

The use of the word "decision" there over the use of the word "beat" for instance shows that you feel that Mendes only wins by decision (Fair point of view, the guy does have a lot of decision victories), but the use over another term shows that you feel that the decision is the overriding factor in why the fight should not happen. Whenever I have come across instances of people making that kind of claim in the context of MMA, it has always been as a negative, you do not get a lot of people who get excited about decisions, a lot of people do not like them and call for finishes, which to a point is fair enough, I love finishes, submissions and knock outs can be very exciting. But the way you phrased it tells me that you do not like decisions and that a decision is a negative thing and at this stage it is a valid reason not to book a fight, which is absolutely wrong, decisions can be very very exciting. Griffin vs Bonnar went to decision, Couture vs Ortiz went to decision, GSP and Frankie have had exciting decision wins, the Flyweight title fight at the weekend and the two bantamweight title defences that Dominick Cruz has had in the UFC have gone to decisions and all of them were exciting and very good fights. It just bugs me when so called "fans" complain about fighters going to decisions and thus this MUST be a negative. Go back and watch some of Chad Mendes' decision wins, they are freaking exciting, and thats what I want to see, exciting fights, no matter how they end.

tl;dr Its not what you said, but the way you said it.

• Like 2

Then Cub is not a top 145er in that scenario

I also didn't get the memo where winning fights by decision was a bad thing, so thanks for letting me know (Y)

When did i say it was a bad thing?

Your use of wording was very telling:

"Cause Chad Mendes would decision the crap out of Cub Swanson"

The use of the word "decision" there over the use of the word "beat" for instance shows that you feel that Mendes only wins by decision (Fair point of view, the guy does have a lot of decision victories), but the use over another term shows that you feel that the decision is the overriding factor in why the fight should not happen. Whenever I have come across instances of people making that kind of claim in the context of MMA, it has always been as a negative, you do not get a lot of people who get excited about decisions, a lot of people do not like them and call for finishes, which to a point is fair enough, I love finishes, submissions and knock outs can be very exciting. But the way you phrased it tells me that you do not like decisions and that a decision is a negative thing and at this stage it is a valid reason not to book a fight, which is absolutely wrong, decisions can be very very exciting. Griffin vs Bonnar went to decision, Couture vs Ortiz went to decision, GSP and Frankie have had exciting decision wins, the Flyweight title fight at the weekend and the two bantamweight title defences that Dominick Cruz has had in the UFC have gone to decisions and all of them were exciting and very good fights. It just bugs me when so called "fans" complain about fighters going to decisions and thus this MUST be a negative. Go back and watch some of Chad Mendes' decision wins, they are freaking exciting, and thats what I want to see, exciting fights, no matter how they end.

tl;dr Its not what you said, but the way you said it.

Yeah im not reading all that :shifty:

All i know is im a betting man and id bet that Chad Mendes doesn't finish that fight if it happens again and Cub Swanson doesn't have the takedown defense to stop Chad Mendes, So in my opinion Mendes beats Swanson by decision 30-27, small chance Swanson can rock Mendes with a knee or something and maybe steal a round but i doubt it

• Like 2

Fair enough, that's a reasonable opinion.

But I would just like to see Chad Mendes fight again at some point soon...

The thing about Chad Mendes that sucks is that in my opinion at least he is clearly the number 2 guy at feather weight, if you feed him like Ricardo Lamas or Chan Sung Jung he will most likely beat them and then you lose someone who can fight Jose Aldo which is needed and i don't really think anyone wants to see Chad Mendes vs Jose Aldo 2 anytime soon after Aldo made him look ridiculous the first time

• Like 1

The thing about Chad Mendes that sucks is that in my opinion at least he is clearly the number 2 guy at feather weight, if you feed him like Ricardo Lamas or Chan Sung Jung he will most likely beat them and then you lose someone who can fight Jose Aldo which is needed and i don't really think anyone wants to see Chad Mendes vs Jose Aldo 2 anytime soon after Aldo made him look ridiculous the first time

How did he look ridiculous? I mean Jose would have won the first round had it not been for that knee. But it wasn't a one-sided round... But that knee was a thing of beauty.

But I do believe you are right about the number 2 featherweight thing. I don't want to see Mendes/Aldo 2 yet, but I would like to see Chad fight, win 3 or 4 fights and really be back in the mix.

Also being in Team Alpha Male must suck if you have a title fight coming up now, they are something like 0-8 in major title fights since Urijah lost the 145lb belt to Mike Brown.

• Admin
Former Manchester City chief executive Garry Cook has been named as executive vice-president and managing director of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Cook says: "I am absolutely delighted to be joining the UFC. Mixed martial arts is one of the most popular sports globally and to be working in such a dynamic and exciting industry, with the UFC's talented, passionate and committed staff and athletes, is an honour."

How did he look ridiculous? I mean Jose would have won the first round had it not been for that knee. But it wasn't a one-sided round... But that knee was a thing of beauty.

Chad Mendes was billed as this great wrestler (which he is don't get me wrong) but then Jose Aldo made him look like he had never wrestled before if my memory is correct, i remember just getting shut down on every attempt easily

• Like 1

Anybody else watching? Awesome first round between Manuwa and Kingsbury, awesome knee thrown by Kingsburg followed by an amazing kick, surprised Kingsbu is still standing.

Didn't see the prelims. Worth watching?

Pickett's uppercut was awesome. Definite KO of the Night so far.

Hardy is taking Sadollah down. Wah?

To see the real KO of the night, you have to watch the prelims. Peralta's KO was amazing.