World Cup 2010 Thread

Read that King has been ruled out of the tournament. I've got so little faith in Upson, that it's Dawson's time to shine. He's had a great season, and has two relatively easy games to get settled in to the position. (I say relatively easy as England never seem to make light work of anything)

I honestly forgot that Dawson had been called up. I was sweating the possibility of having only Jamie "Hack you down" Carragher and Matthew "Why am I even here" Upson left to choose from.

I cant believe I have to wait til Friday for our guys to play again :( Any other game that might be exciting in the meantime?

Today:

Netherlands vs. Denmark (although it's on at 7:30 New York time (EST?), so by the time you read this you'll probably have missed it ¬_¬)

Italy vs. Paraguay, 2:30pm

Tuesday:

Ivory Coast vs. Portugal, 10:00am

Brazil vs. North Korea, 2:30pm (be prepared for A LOT of goals and one of the most one-sided games in the whole tournament)

Wednesday:

Spain vs. Switzerland, 10:00am (Spain are the favourites, reigning European champions, and a very, very entertaining team to watch).

Thursday:

Argentina vs. South Korea, 7:30am

It's the World Cup, you're never going to be far away from an entertaining game. Even games like Honduras vs. Chile (Wednesday, 7:30am) promise to be exciting, because they both have exciting styles, and either could potentially beat Switzerland for second place in their group.

I wouldn't recommend getting up at 7am to watch New Zealand vs. Slovakia tomorrow though. ¬_¬

Also, fuck! I just realised I have a doctors appointment today so am going to miss Holland/Denmark. Fuck's sake. I'll have to record it and watch it between the other two. ¬_¬

Edited by Farmer Reil

Germany was impressive as expected and will probably reach far again, although their defense wasn't tested at all while they have a central defender at leftback (Badstuber) and two kind of second choice CB's, so Germany might have it difficult against a team with attacking prowess. It wouldn't surprise me if Serbia strike back and pull out either a draw or a win against Germany.

The Aussies started with no strikers. They were really hoping for a 0-0 or perhaps a counter 0-1 victory but they forgot Moore is old and slow, thus leaning on the defense wasn't a smart choice. I really can't see the Aussies do anything significant against Ghana who impressed me or Serbia who will look to recuperate.

Can't wait for Holland/Denmark, just 3 or so hours to go! :w00t:

Edited by The Quasi Juice

Honduras vs Chile is the big game for me this week. Chile won all of their warm-up games, barring a loss to Mexico, so are the favourites. Honduras have lost all of their warm-up games, but since this is their second World Cup, I have a feeling they're going to go balls-out for the win. What have they got to lose? If they win, they stand a good chance of going through. It's taken as a given that it's only fighting for second place.

Only problem is Suazo and Palacios are doubts - although hopefully gives people like Nunez and Turcios a chance in midfield, and Georgie Welcome upfront. I'm positive for Honduras.

Hoping for a Japan win, and an Ivory Coast win.

Have a feeling that Holland-Denmark will be a draw, as Holland seem to be one of those teams where you want them to win, they appear to be doing great, and then fuck up.

And yeah, stoke, I almost forgot Dawson was called up. I think giving him a start against Algeria and Slovenia would be make-or-break for his international career, but why not? Judging by their match, they aren't going to pose too much of an attacking threat as it is, so gives him a chance to get used to playing with JT.

• Like 1

Great achievement for Van Bronckhorst as he starts his 100th cap for Holland, captaining the country in his last tournament as he's retiring afterwards.

North Korea will march gloriously to victory tomorrow and Kim Jong il will score all the goals himself!

• Like 1