Official Premier League 2010/11 thread

• Admin

I wouldn't say the situation is that bad at all really, but I can't see the article you've linked due to work firewalls.

Wages at the club are higher than they have been in recent years, accounting for 91% of the £50 million annual turnover, which is obviously a problem, but the departures of players such as Santa Cruz, McCarthy, Warnock, Reid et al will reduce that number significantly this year.

But to counterbalance that, debt is only £20.3 million (less than half turnover), whilst last year we made a pre-tax profit of £3.6 million

The wage expenditure is one of the key reasons we don't spend a lot of money in the transfer market anymore - but of course, with the takeover talks that's subject to change.

Still, John Williams is one of the better chairman in the PL, with a sound head and no grand ideas above our station.

Presumably everyone is waiting for the August 28th firesale when half of City's strikeforce realise that they can't physically be included in the season's squad and demand transfer/loan moves immediately.

And Sparky goes to Fulham!

Fulham have reached an agreement with Mark Hughes for him to become their new manager, BBC Sport understands.

The Craven Cottage club said on Thursday that they expect to name their new boss within the next 48 hours.

Former Manchester United and Chelsea striker Hughes, 46, has been out of work since being sacked as Manchester City manager in December 2009.

The Welshman will replace Roy Hodgson, who left Fulham earlier this month to take charge at Liverpool.

Fulham had wanted to recruit Ajax coach Martin Jol but were forced to look elsewhere when the Dutch club refused to let the former Tottenham manager leave.

Hughes began his managerial career with Wales in 1999, taking them to the brink of qualification for Euro 2004, only to denied by a play-off loss to Russia.

In 2004, he took the helm at Blackburn and guided them to an FA Cup semi-final and also a place in the Uefa Cup.

He was appointed by City in 2008 but the club's change of ownership and hugely increased budget and level of expectation meant he only had 18 months in the job before he was replaced by Roberto Mancini.

At Fulham, he will be working with more modest resources but he will inherit a side left in good shape by Hodgson.

Last season, Hodgson guided the Cottagers on a memorable Europa League campaign, which ended when they lost in the final to Atletico Madrid.

The expected arrival of Hughes will almost certainly be followed by a reshuffle of the backroom staff at Craven Cottage.

First-team coach Ray Lewington, currently caretaker manager following Hodgson's departure, has been linked with a move to Anfield but looks set to stay at Fulham.

However, goalkeeping coach Mike Kelly could team up with Hodgson again, with Hughes expected to bring in his own regular backroom staff including Mark Bowen, Kevin Hitchcock and Eddie Niedzwiecki.

A move to Fulham will see Hughes link up again with chief executive Alistair Mackintosh, who he worked closely with during his time at Manchester City.

I finally got off my arse to go to the Spurs training ground again, they have a bloody game tonight so Wilson told me to come back tomorrow. Fucking no Spurs shirts for sale *anywhere.*

Does anyone know where I can literally find them before 10am tomorrow?

David Bentley waved at me when he drove out, I don't know why, but he is a nice man. However, however, there was something very distressing.

Luka Modric wears denim shorts. I waved at him, and he didn't wave back.

Eh, I've always found Hughes a bit overrated. But he should be alright for Fulham. He's no Hodgson but he'll keep them steady.

Why? He got us (Blackburn) to Europe and a few cup semi finals on probably the smallest budget I have ever seen for a top flight club. If only the board wouldn't have been asses and had given him the £6m to buy Diarra from Arsenal :-(