The Dark Knight Rises

apsham

Yeah, I think someone here posted an interview or something with him after Dark Knight came out, and I remember reading that he thought Penguin and Mr. Freeze wouldn't fit into his Batman universe, could be I'm wrong on The Penguin, but I'm 100% sure he said that about Mr. Freeze.

I had an odd thought: What if Nolan somehow brings back Harvey Dent?

----------

That's the obvious best route for most people. It would have made so much sense for them to claim he was dead while locking him away somewhere after the fall (that he was lieing motionless after that is the only evidence of his death we see) and would be far better than introducing someone new at this stage. The Riddler would always have the problem of being compared to Jim Carey's version, which to my mind was almost perfect. Sure they could take it in a darker direction to make it different but that was exactly the same as what they did with the Joker.

The decision to not do 3D is also the correct one, a series like this should flow as best as possible.

Black Mask would fit in pretty perfetly.

I'd have no problem with Dent returning, it's been said but Aaron Eckhart's performance was pretty good but over looked because of how good Ledger actually was.

Firefly and Hideo Katsu could fit in pretty nicely.

Maximillion Zeus could be a good continuation of the whole Dent dying (if he is dead) if they decide to do another election for mayor of Gotham.

Damn. I really hoped for a more dark version of the Riddler after the (IMO) horrible Carey-Riddler. I have a soft spot for "Batman Forever" since it was my first Batman movie and I still enjoy watching it and at the time I really liked both Riddler and Two-Face. But in the end Jim Carey was basicly doing the same antics that he did in most of his over movie, only even more overacted, and Two-Face was basicly Nicholson-Joker-Light and more Riddler's bully than a main-villian.

I kinda get the reasoning behind Mr. Freeze, but I don't get the Penguin. As someone else already said, "at his core he's just an eccentric crime boss". And Batman Returns proved that this charakter can be done realisticly and more gritty. When I watched the movie when I was younger, the Penguin scared the shit out of me.

I would love to see a Two-Face return. From all the Batman villians he is my most favourite one. Eckhart's performance was great and I think they could've done much more with him and that Ledger's awesome Joker overshadowed him. One of the things I didn't like about "The Dark Knight" was that Two-Face was in it for maybe the last half hour and then got killed of in a (IMO) very anticlimactic way. So I hope Two Face will be brought back.

I'd love to see Eckhart back as Two-Face. I thought he was fantastic in the Dark Knight and his villainous side wasn't examined quite enough. As for the other villain, I'd rather they have somebody who allows for awesome dialogue and is more psychological than just somebody who smashes through everything. I'm not big on Batman villains so I don't know who that'd be, and I don't really mind as long as they have an awesome actor playing him/her.

As for the other villain, I'd rather they have somebody who allows for awesome dialogue and is more psychological than just somebody who smashes through everything. I'm not big on Batman villains so I don't know who that'd be, and I don't really mind as long as they have an awesome actor playing him/her.

I agrre. And that makes the fact that the villian won't be the Riddler even more sad. He would've been perfect if they decide to make him a more dark charakter that liked to play mind games and less like a hyperactive freak like in Batman Forever.

Members of the Nolan camp cofirmed quite early that Peguin and Catwoman wouldn't be used in the follow up films - and on the subject of Penguin and Mr. Freeze, Nolan himself at one point stated to Empire Magazine.

"Marvel are doing what they are doing and people will either respond to that really well or they won't. Its not something I ever applied a blanket rule to, but Marvel characters are very different to DC characters....You've got to go back to that element of "What do I see when I close my eyes and think of Batman/Superman?" And for me a big part of that is their individuality. They are extraordinary beings in an ordinary world....they are two very different characters but theres an elemental feeling of power in the iconography of those characters. To me thats originally because they stood alone, I need to hang onto that in my imagining of them."

So while some people think that it's because Penguin is more of a comedy character in most cases, and that's not something that Nolan really wants in his universe - just seems like the dude wants to put onto screen what he retains from his childhood.

Clearly, the film needs Marsha, Queen of Diamonds.

But seriously, the question of who the villain is is next to irrelevant. Nolan has made a concentrated effort to actually make the films about Batman himself. So long as whatever villain he chooses provides plenty of material for the further evolution of Batman, it'll be a good choice.

Plus, like Zero said, we should really just be able to trust that Nolan can knock anything out of the park by now.

Just an idea I haven't seen thrown around, what about Bane being the villain(or one of them) in the next film?

Eh. Nolan is only donig three films overall and I really think Bane would've needed to be sussed out in The Dark Knight if they were really going to do him properly. Not to mention - the classic version of Bane, I really don't see fitting into Nolan's world.. but that might just be me, heh.

I don't want Bane at all. Only two times he's been used interestingly in my opinion were Knightfall and in Gail Simone's Secret Six. The latter absolutely isn't a Batman movie villain, the former is honestly more about the awesome clusterfuck storyline and the cool visual of breaking Batman's back rather than actually being a compelling villain in his own right. Bane mostly just looked cool and fucked Batman up in a way that nobody else really had up to that point.

Well I tink Bane could be portrayed well in the new Batman universe. He could be a highly intelligent, though roided up, ex wrestler..

and I think I have the perfect person in mind to play him..

• Like 5

I'd love to see Two-Face back as well, but hasn't Nolan said many, many times that Two-Face is dead and buried? Even the leaked script explicitly stated, "DEAD". Anyways, I read that they're filming in New Orleans, so I'm thinking Killer Croc and Harley Quinn.

Oh, and how does everyone want the franchise to end? I'd prefer it didn't end after a third movie (fuck trilogies, seriously), but since it most likely will... I'd prefer a not-so-happy ending. Like the Bane back breaking. But, it's Hollywood, so I think they just might. Last scene, Batman introduces his replacement, Robin (Joseph-Gordon Levitt) :shifty:

I'd love to see Two-Face back as well, but hasn't Nolan said many, many times that Two-Face is dead and buried? Even the leaked script explicitly stated, "DEAD". Anyways, I read that they're filming in New Orleans, so I'm thinking Killer Croc and Harley Quinn.

Oh, and how does everyone want the franchise to end? I'd prefer it didn't end after a third movie (fuck trilogies, seriously), but since it most likely will... I'd prefer a not-so-happy ending. Like the Bane back breaking. But, it's Hollywood, so I think they just might. Last scene, Batman introduces his replacement, Robin (Joseph-Gordon Levitt) :shifty:

I'd like a small nod to The Man of Steel. Nothing too overt or anything, but just something that links to the Metropolis end of the DC Universe.