The Shows Mostly Formerly Affiliated with NBC's Thursday Night Comedy Block Thread **SPOILERS**

GoGo Yubari

Andy must be the worst case of character regression on a show in recent years. I hated him this week and not in a "TV Villain of the week" way.

It sort of makes sense if you're thinking of the whole Erin-Pete storyline trying to do make another Pam-Jim relationship. Roy was pretty much acting the same way to Pam when they were about to split up, the only thing is he wasn't such an intrical part of the show, where as Andy is the office manager.

Community was too on-the-nose with nearly everything tonight. I enjoyed the opening sequence, the callback to Pierce's fantasy journal, and certain individual jokes (the clip of the Inspector Spacetime from the '60s was a dead-on skewering of those serials), but on the whole a pretty poor episode by Community standards. I feel like Allison Brie has played the same character arc for the last three seasons.

But still better than Contemporary Impressionists.

EDIT: Also the end product of the Pierce storyline was amusing. Ah well. I hope everything from this point on is better.

• Like 1

How many more episodes are we going to let pass before we stop saying that? I feel like since the premiere we've been saying "maybe it'll be better after this". Not a knock or anything on anyone because I've said it as well, just an observation - and more of a telling sign of the dip in quality and our continued hope as fans that season 4 won't suck.

That said, I didn't mind Community. Wasn't great, wasn't awful. Was just sort of.. there, I guess. There were a few cute gags. I feel like over the series, Abed & Troy have had the most growth as characters and that continued here.

Parks & Rec was great. Both episodes. One of the better "TV weddings" I've seen. Thought they might go further with the Depressed Andy stuff, but this is good too and I liked the resolution.

I didn't say that about last week because I thought last week was a pretty good episode. Not the funniest episode but decidedly satisfying. I'm also saying that because these past three were the three that were sent out as screeners. From here on out I know nothing about supposed quality of episodes beyond the fact that the cast and writers all seemed to really enjoy the one that Jim Rash wrote.

• Like 1

I know everybody here loves Community, and I'm a pretty big fan myself, but I gotta admit Parks has been untouchable over the past year. Granted Community is only 3 episodes in this year, but even including Season 3, I still think over the past year or two Parks has been the better show. It's so consistently excellent (hilarious moments/touching storylines). It's been on par with seasons 2/3 of the Office.

Does anybody agree?

Also...Gerry pissing himself after hearing that there was going to be a Lil Sebastian impersonator!

No, it's waaaaay better than early seasons of The Office.

I loved the wedding episode. Absolutely stunning. Concilman Jam was amazing. Jerry's interaction with Tom was hilarious, as was the scene for the end credits.

The second episode actually felt like a cooler episode compared to the wedding one, but "midichlorions in the ground" made me laugh the hardest of the night.

I liked Community as well, thought it was still way better than the season premiere, almost on par with the Halloween one. Loved the Mrs. Winger stuff, actually. Britta, Abed and Troy all got good character growth, I felt.

The biggest complaint, though, is that I disliked there being two episodes with barely anything to do with Greendale, and Jim Rash. I miss them. Also, when's the Ken Jeong storyline gonna' pick up?

Also, does anyone know when the Jim Rash-written episode is?

Michael Schur did an interview where he said that initially, they wrote the wedding episode as a potential season/series finale because they were initially only given a 13-episode order for this season (and since all the other Thursday shows got 13-episodes, they said they didn't want to be caught surprised if they didn't get a chance to come back). So, the second episode that aired last night was part of the "back nine" they got (along with "Women in Garbage") so it's almost another season premiere within the current season. That being said, that episode was just perfect. The Councilman Jam stuff, Ron giving Leslie away, Chris giving Ben that letter, even depressed Andy. Because lately, even with Chris Pratt just doing seemingly whatever he wants, they have been writing Andy & April as an actual, mature married couple and I felt so bad for Andy. The ceremony was perfect. The post-credits scene of Ron making Ben & Leslie's rings. For a show that is always bordering on the episode of a wacky factor that starts to make the characters unbelievable, they have made a perfect TV couple in Ben & Leslie (who I think share a lot in common with Jim & Pam). I think anybody who has gotten married can attest to just want to get all the planning out of the way and just be married. Before we were married, me & my wife tried eloping to Las Vegas to just get married (only to realize that it's not as easy as it is in the movies/TV) before we actually had our big wedding. But like I said before in this thread, nothing on TV can come close to Parks and Rec right now. I hope that either Adam Scott or Nick Offerman try to get nominated as a Lead Actor in a Comedy Series because I really think that some combination of Offerman/Pratt/Scott all deserve the two male acting Emmys and that unfortunately leaves Rob Lowe with nothing.

I can't really stand the Toby stuff. It just feels like Paul Liberstein writing for himself.

FWIW, I have read that Lieberstein intentionally downplays Toby in episodes that he writes or directs. Plus, everybody on that show is pretty much a writer. I think the only main cast member who hasn't been a writer is Ed Helms.

I know everybody here loves Community, and I'm a pretty big fan myself, but I gotta admit Parks has been untouchable over the past year. Granted Community is only 3 episodes in this year, but even including Season 3, I still think over the past year or two Parks has been the better show. It's so consistently excellent (hilarious moments/touching storylines). It's been on par with seasons 2/3 of the Office.

Does anybody agree?

I've thought Parks to be the overall better show for a year and a half now. Community sometimes hits amazing, ambitious highs that Parks generally can't match, but Parks is just a great show week in and week out.
  • Like 2

Last night made me wish that Ron Swanson was my father.

Also, I loved Abed's quiet "I hate you." when the Study Group saw Pierce's American version of Inspector Spacetime.

OMG, I loved the post credits scene of Community. Seeing Chevy Chase's big ass smile and then Abed saying "I hate you" in an almost serial killer kind of way had me in stitches.

Also, I was waiting so damn long for Ron to hit Jam, I was practically screaming at the TV for him to do it.

Oh, man, how could I have forgotten my favorite part of Parks & Rec: the ficus metaphor Ann was using?

"I've seen your front yard, Ann, you'd have better luck planting ficus's in your backyard."

I've been enjoying Community so far. Nothing classic yet, but I recall season 3 being relatively weak up until Remedial Chaos Theory blew me away, so it isn't something I'm bothered about just yet.

I agree with virtually everyone in this thread about Parks & Rec though. They are having that season now were just about everything clicks. It borderlines on perfect actually. Might be up there with the greatest TV seasons of all time for me.