House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

• 1 month later...

HBO has announced that a television adaptation of the Dunk and Egg stories will be made. That's despite GRRM saying a while back that it wasn't something he was keen to do because he didn't want another scenario in which the televised version overtook his own books. The books are short, granted, but it's also been ten years since the last one came out. Expect history to repeat itself.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

HBO has announced that a television adaptation of the Dunk and Egg stories will be made. That's despite GRRM saying a while back that it wasn't something he was keen to do because he didn't want another scenario in which the televised version overtook his own books. The books are short, granted, but it's also been ten years since the last one came out. Expect history to repeat itself.

I'm kinda in, but that throws my pet idea of incorporating Dunk/Egg as part of the later theoretical seasons of HOTD out the door.

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Maybe it could be something that involves a lot of magic, the sort of thing that would be an expensive logistical challenge to film in live action.

Around the time the spinoffs were initially announced as happening there were rumors of one set in Valyria leading up to the Doom. That'd be madness to do live-action with, so there's a guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Rewatching Game of Thrones, in two weeks I’ve watched nearly the entire thing (Daenerys just sacked Kings Landing)

Seriously, the bad taste that season 8 has left in peoples mouth is way overblown.

The show is so fucking good, I would recommend rewatching it if you’re ever looking for an easy binge.

The last two seasons really aren’t that bad, they still have lots of what people loved about Thrones in them, it’s just more centralised storylines, a bit more action and the pacing is off. But when it’s a show that ran at 100% for so long, their 70% is still better than most.

I'm going to have to disagree there. I rewatched it not long ago and still thought the last 3 seasons or so were pretty meh-to-garbage. Especially the last two. 6 at least had the Battle of the Bastards and that whole story going for it, I thought 7 and 8 were still pretty bad. Some cool battle scenes, but still, I would definitely say that the back part of Game of Thrones warrants the bad taste it left in peoples' mouths. 

• Like 2

Each to their own. I just really think there’s still a lot to hang on to.

Tyrion’s turmoil in the last few seasons is very well done. The scene where he frees Jaime is probably one of the best ones in the whole show.

My only fault for series 7 & 8 really is they put 3-4 seasons in one and a half while also including many of the lengthy scenes we come to enjoy.

Yeah, I'm with Cloudy, I don't think I rewatched the last season, but the last 3-4 seasons weren't even nearly as good as the first few. There are really good bright spots, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and the Door are great examples, but most of it is stuff that I'd be fine not putting myself through ever again. 

There are better HBO shows out there to spend one's time on, IMO. 

1 minute ago, Benjamin said:

Yeah, I'm with Cloudy, I don't think I rewatched the last season, but the last 3-4 seasons weren't even nearly as good as the first few. There are really good bright spots, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and the Door are great examples, but most of it is stuff that I'd be fine not putting myself through ever again. 

There are better HBO shows out there to spend one's time on, IMO. 

Can we talk about GoT without using spoiler tags? is that cultural zeitgeist past us now? Either way...

hold the door. 

:crying:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I sometimes find it difficult to rate individual episodes because, until the last couple of series, there were only a few ones that focused on a single storyline. I used to think I liked Series 6, but, looking back, I think that opinion was shaped largely by the last episode. "Battle of the Bastards" was entertaining, although it seemed to mark the point at which spectacular setpieces that could only occur because of the characters' stupidity became standard practice.

Really, I think that's the worst thing about the later series. The story used to hinge on the consequences of the characters' actions, and how the biggest events were shaped by the decisions they made over the course of the previous scenes.

Later on, it seemed that the writers dreamed up some action scenes without any serious notion of how to get there, so they just made previously intelligent characters come up with ridiculous plans for the purposes of Hollywood-style entertainment. One example would be having the Dothraki charge into the darkness to their deaths. It was a really memorable visual, but it was a completely idiotic military strategy. Then the Dothraki were back two episodes later anyway, so it didn't end up mattering. Of course, you've also got the infamous "Dany kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet" scene.

8 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

Tyrion’s turmoil in the last few seasons is very well done. The scene where he frees Jaime is probably one of the best ones in the whole show.

The thing I remember most about that scene was Jaime saying that he never cared for the common people of Kings Landing, "innocent or otherwise". That's a rather strange statement to make from someone who forever sullied his reputation to save many of those very same people.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...