House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

I have a few characters I don't actively hate so this one is already better than the last one :P 

Seriously though I enjoyed that and while I don't really know the lore and probably missed some subtle nods to stuff the story drew me in and made me want to see more. Why can't a woman rule??? Also

Spoiler

I never thought I would see The Doctor fucking let alone The Doctor unable to perform said fucking :lol: 

• Haha 1

This is shaping up nicely. I'm not sure all of it will be easily understood by those who aren't already familiar with the source material, such as the references to Maegor (no spoilers here - he was a tyrannical king from the past), but I think it did a fairly good job of explaining who the main characters are.

But to further elaborate...

First, cultural reasons. The Vale, Westerlands, Trident, Reach and Stormlands are descended from the Andals. In Westerosi history, the Andals came over about two thousand years before all this started, fought quite a few wars, and soon became integrated with the First Man cultures of the time. This included bringing over the Faith of the Seven, which does have quite a bit of good old religious 'stay in the kitchen' type stuff. The only areas of Westeros where there really isn't an issue with women ruling is in the North (where it's pretty much might makes right, as seen with House Mormont, we didn't see much of her on Game of Thrones, but the head of House Mormont at the start of the show was Maege Mormont, called 'the She-Bear'. She and her daughters had zero problems actually fighting) and Dorne. The Dornish, while originally First Men, instead of integrating with the Andals integrated with the Rhoynar, who were pretty much gender neutral in terms of capability and succession. You don't see it at all mentioned on Game of Thrones, but there are plenty of women rulers in Dorne, and plenty have ruled as Princess of Dorne.

Second, distrust of women in general. The king seen at the beginning of HotD, Jaehaerys I, is pretty much the gold standard as far as Kings of Westeros go. One of the things that made Jaehaerys so endeared was constant progresses of the realm, hearing grievances and what not. His sister-wife, Alysanne (Viserys and Daemon's grandmother), would accompany him, and would hold a 'women's court', hearing their grievances. It was because of her that the First Night was abolished when she heard how horrific it actually was (rape) versus the idea (heroes impregnating the maidens so the husbands would be honored, etc). So, the lords had their rights taken away, and most likely feared losing even more rights. The conservatives have a pretty iron grip on things, and anybody with progressive ideas is swiftly dealt with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Țhə Hªñđßømë Łùçhâďőŕĕ said:

One touch I absolutely loved was all the minor houses and their sigils popping up at the tourney.

Yeah, let's see who's all there:

Targaryen, Tarly, Tully, Stark, Arryn, Lannister, Cole, Baratheon, Mallister, Tyrell, Bolton?!

Spoiler

Viserys seems like a good dude, so I totally expected him to be dead by the end of the episode

Otto also seemed like a good dude then...that happened

Thought we were going to see Matt Smith hang dong

The relationship between Rhaenyra and Alicent seems sweet, and its really not going to stay that way, is it?

13 minutes ago, Lint said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

1.   Viserys has the quality of people liking him. He's not a great king, but he's far from the worst king. 

2.  Wait a bit. 

3.  n/a

4.  Nope!

Won't spam this channel every week but if you're interested in a podcast for the new show, consider my coverage over on Post Show Recaps! In addition to me and Mike breaking it down immediately after the episode, there will be a Book Club pod, a more feedback Q&A style show and a show breaking down the differences between the first seasons of HOTD and GOT episode-by-episode.

https://postshowrecaps.com/tv-show/house-of-the-dragon-series-premiere-recap-the-heirs-of-the-dragon/

• Like 1

I'm still new to Game of Thrones. Never watched the series until the last month. Halfway through season 5 right now, and even though I know this new show is a prequel, I still feel like I somehow have to finish GOT proper before going to the prequel.

28 minutes ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

I'm still new to Game of Thrones. Never watched the series until the last month. Halfway through season 5 right now, and even though I know this new show is a prequel, I still feel like I somehow have to finish GOT proper before going to the prequel.

Do it to understand how the show timeline ends.

Read the second half of Fire & Blood to basically know how HOTD pans out.