House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

I joked (while it was still airing) that Game of Thrones should have been named `Beheading & Fucking'.....

Spoiler

and we got both in the first episode of this! I'm also glad that Matt Smith is playing a bad guy.

Edited by GhostMachine

Yeah I enjoyed that a lot. I've always liked how GRRM brings in his own interest with medieval history as well as some of his own perspective on modern society into what he writes. And I'm glad this time at least the people behind the show seem to have the critical thinking skill needed to decipher that. Most importantly from an entertainment perspective, the whole thing is already fully mapped and planned out.

• Like 2

So wait...I'm confused about something...

Spoiler

In GoT, it showed Dani walking out of fire numerous times, mostly with nothing else then some soot on her.  They say many times that fire doesn't burn Targaryens.  Even in this episode Viserys has his hand over a flame with no discomfort or damage.

So how does the funeral pyre work?  Is it different because its dragon fire?  Or do they lose fire resistance in death?  If its one of those, fine, I can accept that.

But then how did they plan of cauterizing the wound on Viserys back?

7 hours ago, Lint said:

So wait...I'm confused about something...

Hide contents

In GoT, it showed Dani walking out of fire numerous times, mostly with nothing else then some soot on her.  They say many times that fire doesn't burn Targaryens.  Even in this episode Viserys has his hand over a flame with no discomfort or damage.

So how does the funeral pyre work?  Is it different because its dragon fire?  Or do they lose fire resistance in death?  If its one of those, fine, I can accept that.

But then how did they plan of cauterizing the wound on Viserys back?

Spoiler

Nothing explicitly mentioned but possibly an adaptational change of sorts which throws a few things awry if that's the case as at least a few Targs are either killed by dragonfire or severely burnt by it.

Best explanation I can give is "Dany's fire resistance was adapted beyond it's initial magic one-off and Viserys wasn't technically directly on fire". In the latter, it makes more sense as the Targs do have higher heat tolerance which, based on their homelands, leads to some interesting theories.

As for the pyre, Aemma wouldn't have had fire resistance anyway as an Arryn which I don't think the show brought up and is my main nitpick of the first episode, an admittedly tiny one so far. 

2 hours ago, Țhə Hªñđßømë Łùçhâďőŕĕ said:
  Hide contents

Nothing explicitly mentioned but possibly an adaptational change of sorts which throws a few things awry if that's the case as at least a few Targs are either killed by dragonfire or severely burnt by it.

Best explanation I can give is "Dany's fire resistance was adapted beyond it's initial magic one-off and Viserys wasn't technically directly on fire". In the latter, it makes more sense as the Targs do have higher heat tolerance which, based on their homelands, leads to some interesting theories.

As for the pyre, Aemma wouldn't have had fire resistance anyway as an Arryn which I don't think the show brought up and is my main nitpick of the first episode, an admittedly tiny one so far. 

Spoiler

It did not mention that Aemma was an Arryn. Doesn't matter since she's Viserys and Daemon's first cousin. 

Overall thoughts: 

Spoiler

I can completely respect why Viserys decided not to marry Laena Velaryon. He was being railroaded into it harder than a Tyrell plot involving Margaery. It's kind of ironic that the one time Viserys actually decides to willingly make his own decision about something, it ends up fucking everything up. 

I only wish we had seen more of Daemon in this episode. I know he's going to be getting plenty of screen time, but still, the dude's only going to become even more badass. 

Strong episode.

Spoiler

More Strong episodes to come :shifty: . 

Also, I do like the title sequence, and the fanboy in me is very pleased that they used the GoT theme once again. For those that didn't understand, the sequence with the blood is supposed to be the various bloodlines of House Targaryen, starting from Aegon the Conqueror to Viserys. 

Shit's going down in the next episode though. 

5 minutes ago, Țhə Hªñđßømë Łùçhâďőŕĕ said:

Yep, next episode is the traditional big battle per season one.

Laena :wub:

Hide contents

:crying:

Spoiler

george-r-r-martin-meme-generator-have-a-favorite-character-not-anymore-cce918  – Inked Brownies

• Sad 1

Spoiler

That opening scene with the crabs eating people alive...damn

Damn, I expected Laena to be young, but not THAT young.  I was thinking closer to Alicent or Rhaenyra in age.

I did like that Viserys was clearly uncomfortable marrying a 12 year old

That shot of Rhaenyra swooping out of the clouds or fog on her dragon was great

That entire scene at Dragonstone was fantastic

Seems kinda like the dragons are going to have somewhat differing personalities.  Danys always felt like the same dragon, but different colors

Should I be getting the feeling theres a "more then friends" thing between Alicent and Rhaenyra?

I would totally ship Daemon and Rhaenyra...Roll Tide I guess..

I was disappointed it wasn't Viserys himself building the model, but stone cutters.  I thought it was going to be the Westeros version of a dad with a model train set

Good guy Daemon sticking up for Viserys while betraying him

I know this is a very minor thing concerning the title sequence and probably shouldn't affect the quality of the show at all, but it honestly bothers me that unlike Game of Thrones, they don't have the house sigils showing up next to the actor's names :( .