House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Yeah that scene had a bit of unnecessary suspense. The only thing we don't know is whether it's Rhaegar or Robert who's the father, but come on it's definitely Rhaegar.

So much going on, Cersei being dressed as a Sailor Moon villain is a helluva getup. Given how grossly incompetent she was at actually ruling her kingdom when she was Regent I can only imagine how much she'll destroy things now that she's got full authority.

So I guess we get a battle up North holding off the White Walkers and a growing war in the south between Daenerys and Cersei. Lot of stuff is all nicely in place. Would hope Arya reunites with The Hound and they can be this band of vengeance.

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

oh, fuck off. I'm out.

ELABORATE GODDDAMN YOU! I SPENT AN HOUR BEFOREHAND AND THE ENTIRE EPISODE AMUSING SOMETHING AWFUL HAPPENED BECAUSE OF THIS!

I assume it was with them not naming Jon as Rhaegar's?  I mean come on, it was pretty much totally implied.

I'm confused as to how the fuck Varys got from Dorne back to Mereen so fast. I know there's been a whole lot more fast travelling this season, but come on.

16 minutes ago, Maxx said:

ELABORATE GODDDAMN YOU! I SPENT AN HOUR BEFOREHAND AND THE ENTIRE EPISODE AMUSING SOMETHING AWFUL HAPPENED BECAUSE OF THIS!

Hide contents

I assume it was with them not naming Jon as Rhaegar's?  I mean come on, it was pretty much totally implied.

I'm confused as to how the fuck Varys got from Dorne back to Mereen so fast. I know there's been a whole lot more fast travelling this season, but come on.

Spoiler

I believe GoGo posted that after the Mad Queen Cersei burned them all. 

I really enjoyed this entire season and I loved the finale, it tied much of this season's storylines up and set up for next season perfectly.

Also, Lyanna Mormont is a fucking boss.

One thing that really stuck with me this episode after seeing Cersei sit on the throne.. Did she know Tommen would kill himself after she used the Wildfyre? After seeing her take the throne and thinking back on the opening, I'm sure she knew he would or was going to have him killed, so she could rule.. which contradicts her entire "I would do anything for my children" arc over the entire series.

Edited by punky

Yeah I didn't care for that.

Spoiler

To be honest I'm pretty over Cersei "I'm a great schemer and I always get my way and also I'm the best and coolest and also the greatest" Lannister. She's spent the entire series going I'D DO ANYTHING FOR MY KIDS, then she kills her son's wife and her son commits suicide and she acts like she barely gives a fuck. If the idea is supposed to be that she's so numb to it because she's lost so many people close to her, it's not coming across.

That episode was perfect. I fucking loved it...got chills at multiple points.

-The scene at the sept? Holy crap. Did NOT expect that. But amazing, Cersi took out all of her enemies at once. And by accident her son, but she didn't seem too bothered.

-Jon becoming King of the North. Amazing. I fucking LOVE the Mormonts.

-The Tyrells and Martells throwing their support behind Dany? Did not see that coming. But I love it, and Cersi is SOOO FUCKED.

-Arya randomly showing up. Holy crap! I did not expect that! And she gave Fray the best death, as that is how her mother died.

Season 7 cannot come soon enough.

Thanks for fixing my spoiler tag Gogo >_<

Edited by GoGo Yubari
Ruki can't spoiler tag
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Hide contents

The entire first twenty minutes. Long, dragged out, wasteful, obvious, leaving me with exactly the thing I hated all season up north. Not really up for debating things or whatever. I'm just out.

Spoiler

also I never cared for a second about who Jon Snow's parents are or really Jon Snow in general.

8 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

The entire first twenty minutes. Long, dragged out, wasteful, obvious, leaving me with exactly the thing I hated all season up north. Not really up for debating things or whatever. I'm just out.

Reveal hidden contents

Share this opinion to be honest. Don't have much to add. The young girl ruler person is a good actress. That's about it

• Like 1

I won't be at all surprised if Cersei blames Tommen's death on the Tyrells, despite the High Septum and the other religious zealots taking over being her own fault in the first place. After all, the truly evil (and most psychopaths) never accept responsibility and blame someone else. Seeing Jamie's reactions during his first conversation with her next season will be interesting. Could this be what finally turns him against her?

Meg is better off dead. if she had survived, I have no doubt she'd have ended up in the same position as that nun. (I assume the Mountain was left there to rape her?)

So much for any chance of Lady Stoneheart showing up, but I do like the way Arya took her revenge on Walder Frey. I assume this also means she rescued (or will rescue) Edmure from the Freys' dungeon.

I guess the revelation about Jon Snow means he's got a claim on TWO thrones if the truth comes out. Also means a Jon/Daeny marriage is out of the question 

And finally....WHERE THE FUCK IS GENDRY?!

UE0cMkl.gif

• Like 13

It was mentioned enough earlier in the season where it felt as if Cersei had come to grips with the prophecy and that no matter what Tommen would die. Like a "this is the hand I've been dealt realization." An argument could also be made that Tommen "died" when he sided with High Sparrow. I think this is what turns Jaime against her, marching back to King's Landing just to see Cersei distant from him and everyone else. Her reign will be short, she'll destroy the economy even further, but she'll have the Mountain and Qyburn to protect her.

I'm not overly bothered they didn't explicitly say "This is Jon he's Rhaegar's son, take care of him" because the foreshadowing was so heavy. One thing I've found is there's a certain segment of viewers who don't notice a lot of the blatant, obvious stuff and keeping them in suspense is a lot easier than keeping me in suspense.

Lyanna is a boss, hope we get to see more of her in season 7.

Sansa's gamble that the North would rally behind Jon was great. Who knows how she and Jon will rule, but she helped block Littlefinger's ambitions.

Also I was glad they put in a Frey pie, there's a pretty fun theory from the books regarding Manderly and making a pie of Freys but I'm happier they utilized Arya for the role.

• Like 1

Ongoing thoughts...

Spoiler

Baelor goes bye bye: Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittt

Tommen: Shhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Bronn is the king of men.

Liam Cunningham: all the awards.

Lady Olena spitting hot fire.

Tyrion getting vibes.

Arya: SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Petyr: lol, wrecked

TOJ: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Lady Mormont dropping truth bombs.

Cersei: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Boats and Dragons: Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

• Like 10

Various thoughts and reflections: 

That was a hell of an episode. I didn't actually think Cersei would pull it off to that degree, but she did a fantastic job of completely ruining everything. Too bad for her Olena got the hell out of Dodge. The only part of the Seven Kingdoms that has her back at this point is the Westerlands; maybe the Stormlands, but they don't have an army now. 

I loved that not only was Arya the one to end Walder Frey, but also that she borrowed a page from the playbook of Atreus when doing it. And wouldn't you know, she's in the same place that her uncle, and rightful ruler of the Trident happens to be. Wonder who they'll declare for :shifty: . 

So, Dany has the backing of the Reach, Dorne, the Dothraki, and the Ironborn. And dragons. Her Hand is the one guy that knows the defense of King's Landing, in terms of an assault from Blackwater Bay, better than anyone, and he only won due to dumb luck and wildfire, neither of which Cersei has. It's obvious how fucked Cersei is, really, but I think it's funny just counting all the ways she is. 

And you know, I realized that the crown owes quite a bit of money to the Iron Bank, and I'm sure that if they helped bankroll Stannis, once they see the force Dany's assembled, they'll line up to start sucking on that tit. 

The stuff in the North was awesome, with Jon becoming King, Lyanna putting everyone in their place, Sansa telling Baelish to fuck off, and probably the most obvious theory being confirmed. Good times. 

So, here's my last theory on this show:

Jamie will kill Cersei. 

Everything the witch predicated came true, except that Cersei's death would be by her little brother. While Tyrion is certainly the youngest of the three, Cersei was born before Jamie. Technicality, sure, but still. 

3 hours ago, Avenged said:

I loved it also. The first 20 minutes were brilliant I thought and it was the music which really made it for me. In fact the score was on point all episode. Just loads of great stuff, very excited for the next season!

Definitely. I said as much whilst watching it, the score running through that first 20 minutes was utterly fantastic, unique and added to the whole thing.

Thoughts:

Spoiler

That episode was perfect to me, I loved it. They managed to fit every single active character into it somehow, bar the Hound/Brotherhood and Brienne I guess, and it all fit together well. Everything is set up so tantalisingly for Season 7, I cannot wait. For me, this is the strongest season of the show in terms of me watching. It's certainly been one of the most consistent and best paced of the lot.

Loved the opening, Cersei burning them all was...well, I never expected to see it be that swift and brutal. I thought there'd actually be a trial, and that it'd take up a lot of the episode to play out. Especially with the whole Loras carving thing at the start, it made me think that he and Margaery at least would get out alive. The Faith Militant needed to be obliterated, and Tommen chucking himself out the window just tops it all for Cersei. She's past the point of caring and has reached grim acceptance of the prophecy and her lot in life. She knows all the awful things she's done and what it has all caused, but she just has to roll with it now. The way they shot the Tommen suicide scene, I could see it coming but much like the wildfire wiping everyone out I didn't really expect that would happen. Can't blame him though. Jaime's look to Cersei at the end suggests to me that he is finally going to be done with her, he loves her but it's too far now. He has been set up to be a redeemed man of honour who does the right thing for a couple of seasons now, his time in chains and particularly with Brienne has changed him, plus he always had that good in him as we saw in his scenes with Tyrion early in the show.

I utterly adored the scene where Lady Mormont truths everyone into rallying behind Jon. One of the best in the show. I get why they ended it on Dany instead of this though, as Dany and her new supergroup are the threat on the way from outside, whereas the events in the North are still 'home soil' and it was much more a conclusion of a story arc than Dany getting on all those ships, which is more a set-up for what is to come. Jon being the King in the North, leading a united army is a thing to behold, and they can now begin to look at the perils they face ahead. Great stuff, and Sansa cemented herself as MVP of the season for me with the way she handed off Baelish in order to make sure Jon's path to 'coronation' was clear.

Tower of Joy was all that it needed to be, I enjoyed the segue between baby Jon's face and King Jon. It pretty much confirms the long held fan theory, and did it in a good way too if you ask me. How that fact ultimately plays into it all we'll have to see, I assume Bran will venture south of the Wall and at some point it will become known, perhaps after Dany conquers King's Landing and her and Jon are forced to turn their heads north to the Night King?

Dany is finally on her way to Westeros, which has been built up for five seasons near enough and is actually the kind of unit I can get behind. I love the fact that it involves Theon/Yara and Tyrion at the forefront, and they absolutely did the right thing keeping Dorne away from us for the entire season to then bring them back as a powerful ally of Dany.

No one has mentioned Sam yet...look at the size of that library! I just hope his dad doesn't fuck it all up for him and Gilly.

Finally...Arya. Wow, I really did not see that coming. I thought they were setting up for a Walder/Jaime conflict next season or something, I didn't expect Arya to appear there so soon. The most poetic of revenges for what has happened to her family, and done in such a cool way too. Positively Shakespearean.

To address some of the things others have said regarding the episode:

I don't believe it needed to be explicitly heard what Lyanna said to Ned, we all know what she's saying anyway. Anyone who is still in the dark is just going to get to live that shock when it is finally 'revealed' explicitly, however they do that.

I also didn't think the Wildfire scene was drawn out or obvious. If I hadn't been reading this thread the last few weeks, I would have had utterly no idea about all the wildfire, and probably would have totally forgotten the discussion about 'rumours' that Qyburn and Cersei had. Plus, I don't think many of us expected all of the Sparrow, Tyrells, Kevan, Lancel and everyone else to die all in one go. I really didn't see that coming until they all got stuck in the sept.

@Cloudy Cersei hasn't exactly been the all-conquering, gets her way untouchable for the past 1/2 seasons. That isn't her story. She finally got toppled thanks to her own overzealousness and miscalculation, got set up as a quasi-babyface for much of this season purely because the High Sparrow was even worse, then even in supposed victory has lost her last remaining child and has taken the Iron Throne at the worst possible time. Daenerys is finally coming to Westeros, the North is finally united again and winter is here. This isn't a big win for Cersei, it's the start of her ultimate downfall.

I will say though that I think it helps me to have not read the books to find less things I don't like in this show than if I did. With other books that I have actually read, when translated to television I've always found it easier to pull them apart or find things don't like. Maybe that's just the case here but the other way around for me.

Also @Gazz that is probably my favourite post in this thread, ever. And @Mick I completely agree with your theory at the end there.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:
  Hide contents

I think I missed something that is probably pretty obvious. How did that one guy who almost stopped the explosion know to follow the kid who ended up stabbing him? He just looked like a random kid running around to me

Spoiler

Lancel was sent to find Cersei and saw the kid running away from the building and knew he was one of Qyburn's little birds. So he decided to follow him to see what was going on.

That was a fucking awesome episode. Favorite episode since like season 3, for sure.

Spoiler

Loved Arya's vengeance, can't wait to see her reunite with the Hound since they're in the same area (and I have a feeling that Melisandre will pop up there somehow). Also, she's going to reunite with Nymeria somehow, right? Please please please let that happen. That has to happen. Arya's part was definitely the best of the episode.

Loved how Sam suddenly pops up with tons of screen time in the finale, and my god, that maester was a dick, but shit, that look on his face in the library was adorable as fuck. I almost shed a tear as he realized he's home.

Loved Sansa rejecting Littlefinger, was so afraid they were gonna' let her get in with him just so the Starks will have the support of the Vale. I'm fucking scared about that look they shared at the end of the episode, though, to me it looked like Littlefinger was almost telling her "See? They're still living in the past and think they can break away from the Seven Kingdoms. What happened the last time they tried that?" and she seemed to be agreeing with him.

Loved the scene where they declare for Jon, by the way, but shit, I can't help feeling like this is a really bad play, tactically. Also, there's a trueborn son of Ned Stark crawling around in the snow somewhere, which might complicate shit, as well as Dany wanting to rule all SEVEN kingdoms.

Loved everything in King's Landing, fuck the Tyrells, Cersei was amazing and I can't wait to see her destroy King's Landing, get killed by Jaime in some suicide-murder as Dany and Tyrion bang against the walls of the castle. I don't think she didn't care about Tommen dying, in fact she was just resigned to it and it hurt her so much, but she's realized that the prophecy is coming through, so might as well just burn everyone she hates and feel good while it's happening. She's turned into a person that believes that the future can't be changed, so she's going to feel as good as she can while it lasts.

Loved Olenna schooling the Sand Snakes, it was almost meta-like in how the show seemed to know that they're terrible characters and we don't really give a shit about them.

Loved the stuff with Dany and Tyrion, seeing Tyrion get named the Hand of the Queen, he was so happy. Oh, and the shot at the end was such a "...finally" shot, just to reward the viewer. Great job. Oh, and love how Varys is now Nightcrawler and can be anywhere he wants to be, whenever he wants to.

• Like 2