Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Not that it's a particularly thrilling shot but here they are being rather undeterred by an empty Brixton Academy:

7348042596_8d291cee48_n.jpg

That's pretty cool.

For no good reason, I'm going to post a few of my favourite gig photos I've ever taken.

Spoiler'd for length;

164_181672040000_2517_n.jpg

Julian Cope in '07

164_181672125000_7068_n.jpg

Seasick Steve in '07

159_178397925000_9766_n.jpg

Damo Suzuki in '07

153_178391210000_4567_n.jpg

SunnO))) in '07

31787_10150352689850001_2541399_n.jpg

Iggy (& The Stooges) in '10

156735_10150510563510001_7738550_n.jpg

Keiji Haino in '10

154328_10150510567205001_5197751_n.jpg

Mike Watt & The Missingmen in '10

74606_10150510572225001_1807788_n.jpg

Scout Niblett in '10

432119_10151555592615001_1110191306_n.jpg

Boredoms in '12

422713_10151555608165001_1137832815_n.jpg

Earth in '12

417369_10151555638870001_1436038463_n.jpg

The Magic Band in '12

420736_10151555671835001_301747257_n.jpg

Sun Ra Arkestra in '12

420468_10151552111185001_2011977678_n.jpg

Thurston Moore in '12

tumblr_m0sm1mhTaK1rnwyb1o4_1280.jpg

The Fall in '12

tumblr_m0sm1mhTaK1rnwyb1o3_1280.jpg

The Fall in '12

So tomorrow and Saturday are going to be pretty awesome; going to the CopenHell festival in Copenhagen, metal festival with all kinds of cool shit represented. Rising, really the first breakthrough Danish sludge band, The Interbeing, who also played at SXSW, Mastodon and Gojira. Brutal Truth and Slayer are also booked for Friday, sadly, Slayer and Gojira overlap and I've been wanting to see Gojira for ages. On Saturday it is on for Saxon, Meshuggah and Immortal and then I'll probably get dragged along to Lamb of God which I am pretty non-plussed about NOT CARING ABOUT KONGO. Dying Fetus are there on Saturday, would like to see them as well but if they overlap to badly with Saxon I'll say with the heavy metal classics.

So yeah, metal weekend, woo!

I spent Friday to Monday in Camber Sands at the Rockabilly Rave weekend. Think mostly men and women in their 50s/60s, quiffs and huge ill-fitting jeans. But with the tendency for bands to start impromptu gigs outside their little chalet rooms:

7395161732_ae70aa02e3.jpg

Very good it was, and a very drunk time too. And probably enough rockabilly to last a while.

And followed up last night with Jack White at Brixton Academy.

Wasn't quite as good when I saw him a month or two back at The Forum, the set wasn't as long or as good, and although it's hard to put a finger on the male band doesn't work as well as the female backing band do. Other gripes were the sheer volume he plays at seems to muddy the sound at times - and it would've been nice to be allowed to take photos as I like photography, but that's all very minor.

Though it didn't quite match up to the last show in London, he was still very good. The set draws a little something from all of The White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather, Rome and solo material, which sits together nicely. And a pair of beetlejuice-ish trousers to top it all off.

I saw Jack White at Brixton Academy too and really enjoyed it. That was my first time seeing him live and going to Brixton Academy, so I was willing to overlook the sound being a little off and the setlist missing some of my favourites of his. I'd really like to see him with the female band too, hopefully a full UK tour is a possibility. Unfortunately the setlist for last night at Hammersmith Apollo looked a lot better, really disappointed I missed out on tickets for that.

I managed to get a few photos too, initially I was told to stop when I took one of First Aid Kit, but it became too busy for the staff to bother. I'm sure they were more concerned with people smoking inside too. Here's one of the photos I got, spoilered for size.

noacs2.png

Edited by Ben E.

Off the top of my head missing from the time I saw Jack White before was I'm Slowly Turning Into You, My Doorbell, Seven Nation Army (which while I don't love after milion listens was really great live), Carolina Drama, Steady As She Goes and Love Interruption.

But still, taking the gig in isolation I wouldn't criticise it all, and should a further tour be scheduled I will be going again.

The last time I saw The Taxpayers there was an epic battle that settled the age-old feud between sharks and penguins and I came out covered with glitter. They are coming into town next month. So excited!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHRtlbm4weo

(The video doesn't really portray how fun that show was, but its all I can find on the YouTubes)

Hundred Reasons announce split

Post-hardcore stalwarts will part ways after shows in London and Manchester alongside a reformed Hell Is For Heroes

Hundred Reasons have announced that they are splitting up and will be playing their last ever shows in November.

The five-piece, who formed in 1999 and released four studio albums across their career, will play their 2002 debut album 'Ideas Above Our Station' in full and have confirmed that these two shows, which take place on November 23 at Manchester Academy 2 and on November 24 at London's HMV Forum, will be their final ones of their career.

Writing on their official Facebook page, the Surrey rockers wrote: "Dream line-up - bands we love, people we love. Been a while in the planning, this, but we’re seriously bloody excited about it. This is the final outing for everyone involved, so we hope you’ll join us for a properly good send-off."

Hell Is For Heroes, who went on indefinite hiatus in 2008, have reformed especially for the shows and will perform their debut album 'The Neon Handshake' from start to finish.

Speaking about the shows, they wrote: "We a can confirm that we coming out of rock n' roll retirement for 2 very special shows this November. We will be playing our first record "The Neon Handshake" from start to finish before Hundred Reasons play their first album "Ideas Above Our Station" too."

Also performing at the shows will be alt rockers Cable. Tickets go onsale tomorrow at 9am (GMT).

Seriously considering going to the Manchester gig...

Went to Stone Roses in Manchester yesterday. They were good, but everything else about the night was horrendous. Poor setup, not enough room for too many people, and a thoroughly unpleasant experience all round. Not enough shuttle buses meant most missed the early support, and not enough bar staff prompted a load of dickheads to vault and loot one bar. Two of us made the call to dodge the bus back and walked 6 miles back to the centre well before everyone else did, while they also ended up in another semi riot between fences being herded on. Rumours abounding of staff being threatened with a knife too.

Note to self, don't ignore your 'small gigs are best' policy.