General Movie Thread

Jimmy

Even though this thread is quickly turning to me posting trailers to myself, I'm gonna keep on because it's a new Sam Rockwell movie! If it ends up being as dramatic as The Descendants, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a Supporting Actor nod. The Summer release date kinda contradicts that though. Still, looks great!

It sucks that Ben & Kate was canceled and Community probably will be but at least Jim Rash and Nat Faxon have a pretty good backup plan!

Oblivion

I came into the movie with less than high expectations (love Sci-fi movies but hate Tom Cruise). I didn't like the movie particularly (the beginning and part of the middle anyway) but not because of Cruise who i thought did a good job but the story left a lot to be desired. It felt like a big budget (bigger budget even) version of Arnies The Sixth Day. It only really picked up again when Cruise got to the alien space station orbiting Earth. Morgan Freeman delivered as per usual though.

Edited by Dexter87

That looks fucking great. When is that out? Livid, I demand you remind me to go see this when it comes out.

It has a limited release date of July 5th here and then I imagine, opens wider within a couple weeks of that. No info on a UK date but I would bet if word of mouth is good, it wouldn't be too much longer than that.

I enjoyed the second book a lot more than the first (haven't read the third though) so it's not surprising that this looks like it'll be better than the first movie. Also, the addition of Phillip Seymour Hoffman means it will be almost by default.

Yeah, I'd heard a lot of people say that, but I thought he was really average. Just like, trying way too hard (kinda like the movie really), I mean it was kind of fun, but so many of the jokes fell flat I didn't leave the film all that impressed. I think Moon & The Green Mile, some of the first films I saw him in, set my standards way too high and everything I've got excited for with him in just hasn't done anything for me e.g Iron Man 2 and Cowboys & Aliens.

Yeah, but I think it's relevant in my argument because a poor film would obviously affect your 'form'. The same way Adam Sandler's fucking wonderful in Punch Drunk Love and I'm sure he's very capable of another great performance, but outside Funny People, he hasn't been good in a film for God knows how long. Either way, it looks like Rockwell will be great in this film.

What else of his should I check out? Confessions of a Dangerous Mind any good? I think I have one on my list with him in called Galaxy Quest? I've seen Hitchhiker's & Choke.

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm an unabashed Rockwell "mark" but I tend to think he's good in even the bad films he's been in. Except for Cowboys & Aliens because his character is just dull.

He's great in Snow Angels which is a severely underrated film to begin with. Also, he's good in the supporting roles he has in Assassination of Jesse James and Frost/Nixon. Josh's recommendations are good too.

You guys are crazy, Sam Rockwell as the sleazy, second rate Tony Stark was great. But then I didn't hate Iron Man 2 like most of the world does. It's the weakest Marvel Film yet (including Incredible Hulk), but it wasn't that bad.

• Like 4