General Gaming Thread

TKz

5 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

The Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy is on sale on Steam. I've never played them before but enjoy point & click - are they worth a buy?

They are no monkey Island, and the investigation is done in static locales rather than actually walking around the world.

They are fun titles with good humour, some of the puzzles are obtuse and a bit confusing, especially when you need to put two items together to make your case, and multiple combinations fit the narrative and only one gets accepted.

But the game is very forgiving with failstates, so it can be brute forced at those rare times the game has you stumped.

So if you like an outrageous courtroom dramady with ridiculous twists, they're definitely worth a play.

I don't think there's much replay value or divergence in the cases, but it's been over a decade since I played the first games.

But at the price point, they'll keep you engaged and the story translates really well for something originally written for a purely Japanese audience.

• Like 1

^ There's essentially zero divergence in the cases, besides some incredibly unimportant bits of dialogue and a couple of post-trial "present the right item now to get a nice response (but if you don't it doesn't matter)" bits.

Replay value is only in the sense that they are so amazing that in a couple of years you'll get all nostalgic and want to play them again.

• Like 3

I've spent some time in Digimon Hacker's Memory power leveling and I'm way OP. It's funny to see character freak out about a coming enemy only for my Mega level Digimon to obliterate them with a single blow.

One character sees Omnimon and goes "what the hell is that Digimon?!" when I've been rolling with a Black Omnimon for a bit.

Playing AC3 now, and the fact that in the 1760s you can liberate British forts for the Continental Army (which didn't exist yet) and do so by flying the Betsy Ross flag (which probably never actually was adopted) is hilarious.

So after considering it for years I finally said fuck it and got myself a gaming PC, especially since my company had a nice client discount with Dell...though I still spent far more on myself than I normally ever do.  Got a G5 desktop and a monitor.  Last night, I set everything up.  Everything loads no problem, just do really basic computer set up shit.

Tonight, turn it on...won’t display anything, on the monitor, blinking amber lights on the tower which indicates a motherboard issue.

You have to be fucking kidding me.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, B-li Manning said:

So after considering it for years I finally said fuck it and got myself a gaming PC, especially since my company had a nice client discount with Dell...though I still spent far more on myself than I normally ever do.  Got a G5 desktop and a monitor.  Last night, I set everything up.  Everything loads no problem, just do really basic computer set up shit.

Tonight, turn it on...won’t display anything, on the monitor, blinking amber lights on the tower which indicates a motherboard issue.

I feel for you. I have had 2 Dell's in my life and both were pieces of crap and I can't count the number of times I had to fix my dad's old Dell laptop. They are what drove me to say fuck it and build my own PC's.

30 minutes ago, B-li Manning said:

How much $ was spent on it? Assumedly still under warranty, so give it a go that way. In the meanwhile (and by that I mean dawdle about on it until bedtime and before I have to go to work :shifty:), gon use this as an excuse to putz about on PCPartPicker if you choose to go refund just to throw out ideas if you wanna build your own.

I've had Dells for most of my life and the only problems I've had were the result of my own dumbassery.

Apparently a blinking amber power button can mean either the motherboard is bad OR the power supply is insufficient.  I have it plugged into a power strip of which the only other thing plugged in there is the monitor.  I'd love to think that's the only problem but that wouldn't explain why it worked fine yesterday.

Of course, that also wouldn't explain how my motherboard could fail in literally one day, either.

And now it gets better!  Last night I popped in my service tag on Dell and looked through the manual to determine the blink code.  3, 1 blink pattern indicates a battery problem.  OK cool but still no idea why this would happen on the second fucking time I'm using the machine.  It was super late at night though so I didn't do anything else.

Today...pop the service code back onto the website and getting messages that the service code doesn't exist in their records.  So even if I call in there's a good chance whoever I'm talking to won't be able to help.

So much for spending the weekend gaming after what was a beyond brutal week at work.

• Sad 2

46 minutes ago, B-li Manning said:

And now it gets better!  Last night I popped in my service tag on Dell and looked through the manual to determine the blink code.  3, 1 blink pattern indicates a battery problem.  OK cool but still no idea why this would happen on the second fucking time I'm using the machine.  It was super late at night though so I didn't do anything else.

Today...pop the service code back onto the website and getting messages that the service code doesn't exist in their records.  So even if I call in there's a good chance whoever I'm talking to won't be able to help.

So much for spending the weekend gaming after what was a beyond brutal week at work.

Refund time?

So at what point in the Assassin's Creed series to they realize that literally nobody cares about the present day bits?

55 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

So at what point in the Assassin's Creed series to they realize that literally nobody cares about the present day bits?

Tue modern day stuff in Origins and Oddyssey have been really cool. I liked the stuff with Desmond a lot too.

Edited by BuddyAwesome
  • Like 1

Shaun and Rebecca would be good characters for something like Watch Dogs or Far Cry but everything else is completely dull in the games I've played so far.

15 hours ago, Colly said:

It's also a tremendous gateway route to getting into some good (and also terrible) music. My two are worrying obsessed with the Super Sentai song on Just Dance 3(?).

So my kids know a lot of the songs because Just Dance is part of the education system. They play the YouTube videos of Just Dance at their schools on rainy days or when it is too snow. 

I loved the present day bits in Black Flag, just stupid hacking mini-games to find irrelevant, but exhaustive, lore about John Dee and the Voynich Manuscript. Yes please!

That was the least worst set of the lot for me so far, but on the other hand I could have also done completely without them. It probably didn't help that I started with Black Flag, so the ending of the real world bits was unintelligible for me.

654cEil.jpg