General Gaming Thread

TKz

I'd love for them to keep it simple and stick to what made the old Timesplitters games fun. By all means, modernise the level design and quality of life features, but an old-style FPS on top of that would be just the ticket. Doom did that well in 2016, so I'm thinking of something in that mould with the characteristic Timesplitters atmosphere.

Finished the final trial in the 3rd Phoenix Wright game (the 'Bridge to Turnabout' case) yesterday, having only played it once before at least 8 years ago. I had a dim memory of who the murderer was, but no recollection of how/why/what happened to get there.

Fucking hell that's a ride and a half. In fact, the whole of the Trials and Tribulations game is crafted really well. The obvious exception being...

Spoiler

...The 'Tres Bien' case, which only contributes to the main arc by hinting that Godot can't see red on a white background when presented with the ketchup stain on the apron. (Not that this isn't an excellent breadcrumb to just throw in there, like they did with several other things throughout the game.)

With that said, it would all have been a whole lot smoother if...

Spoiler

someone had just pulled Pearl aside early and said "Listen, we know about the instructions in the letter your mother gave you. If you summon this person, she's going to go and kill Maya. DO YOU WANT TO TAKE THAT FUCKING CHANCE, LITTLE GIRL?!"

I mean, maybe that's what Elise/Misty was going to do when she invited Pearl to come read books with her (which she no-showed). But seriously, that was like half an hour before the plan was meant to go into motion. Talk about leaving yourself open to risk.

Putting the storyline aside though, I found the actual trial/evidence work a lot more frustrating than in the prior two games. There were several occasions where I had to resort to near-random attempts at objections just to figure out "oh, so you wanted THAT specific interpretation of THAT specific contradiction, not the half-dozen others that I could equally have picked on at this point." <_<

• Like 3

Pretty much the thing I most disliked about LA Noire (that, and no turn signals) was among the same thing.

"I was home all day"

"Bullshit, you bought shit at this store. I saw a ledger that proves this."

"That doesn't prove anything!"

• Like 1

Gamescom starts tomorrow and here is the schedule of live shows:

image.png

Don't expect a lot of massive announcements, but there will probably be a few reveals here and there. The last of the shows will be presented by Geoff Keighley and is set to include new footage of Death Stranding.

Oh look, I've started up a new game of Persona 5.

It seems like this is the game I'll keep returning to in my mid-30s whenever I want to kill ~100 hours of my life, much like FFX was in my early-20s.

• Like 1

here's hoping for the potential for even more absurd builds.

Rocket 1:1 scale replica of the Washington Monument pls.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Barbaro CaverLUKIEo said:

Has anyone picked up any free games through EPIC Games?

I just got Hyper Light Drifter and Mutant Year Zero for free. Both of which I wanted but never wanted to pay for them <_<

I've pretty much picked up all of them. Not played any of them yet.