General Gaming Thread

TKz

So we’ve finished The Witness, Gone Home, and What Remains of Edith Finch. We liked or loved all 3 (probably Witness, Edith, Gone Home, from best to worst.) Now we’re looking for more.

Anyone have any feedback on the following games?

Obduction

The Unfinished Swan

Firewatch

Thomas Was Alone

The Sexy Brutale

The Talos Principle

Stories are good, puzzles are slightly better, a combo is best. Extra points for games that’ll give us more overall playtime.

Thoughts?

Talos Principle all the way. The puzzles are very Witness-esque in that the solutions are always crazy simple but getting there is a nightmare and there's also a phenomenal story that's told through text logs. The story is very man v god v technology and it's wonderful, wonderful stuff.

I'd also recommend Sexy Brutale, the story is brilliant, the art style is wonderful and the time-bending mechanic is really fun.

Unfinished Swan and Firewatch are good stories, but I wouldn't really call either a puzzle game. Both can be completed in 1-2 sittings too. I know you were a bit disappointed about that with Days Gone, so don't expect anything crazy long with either of them.

I'd also consider Limbo, Inside and Journey. All are a bit different from what you've played so far, but I guarantee you and your missus will get a big kick out of them. Wonderfully obtuse stories with some really fun puzzles in.

Thomas Was Alone is good. I'll echo the recommendations for Limbo, Inside and Journey too. You might also get something out of the Trine games. They're nice puzzle games that offer co-op play, and they look fantastic as well.

Rocketbirds could be another option. It's a puzzle-platformer with a fun and silly premise, along with a surprisingly good soundtrack.

2 hours ago, Josh to the World said:

So we’ve finished The Witness, Gone Home, and What Remains of Edith Finch. We liked or loved all 3 (probably Witness, Edith, Gone Home, from best to worst.) Now we’re looking for more.

Anyone have any feedback on the following games?

Obduction

The Unfinished Swan

Firewatch

Thomas Was Alone

The Sexy Brutale

The Talos Principle

Stories are good, puzzles are slightly better, a combo is best. Extra points for games that’ll give us more overall playtime.

Thoughts?

Firewatch is solid. If you are looking for another game in that genre, I would suggest Blackwood Crossing.

Playing DE:HR right now. Got to the first boss fight and... it wasn't that hard? It sucked that I couldn't just killswitch him to death but my only combat spends so far were to armor and I only needed a couple tries to take him out. Especially once I figured out how to flank him to avoid the grenades.

I had problems with the first boss initially. The second boss, however, was a breeze for me because he glitched into a pillar and I just stood still and shot him until he was defeated. I don't actually know what the legitimate technique to beat him is because I never needed it.

50 minutes ago, HarshMillennium said:

Just ordered a PS4, that's coming with Red Dead 2. I will probably be purchasing WWE 2K19.

Anyone recommend any games? I'd prefer story-driven games, platformers or RPGs etc.

Story-driven: Last of Us Remastered, What Remains of Edith Finch, Bioshock Collection, Horizon: Zero Dawn, most of the Telltale games.

Platformers: Ratchet and Clank, Crash and Spyro remasters, Rayman Legends,

RPG: The Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, Persona 5.

That's all just off the top of my head. I'm certain I've missed several gems.

• Thanks 1

Hotline Miami is very infuriating and very addictive.

1 hour ago, HarshMillennium said:

Just ordered a PS4, that's coming with Red Dead 2. I will probably be purchasing WWE 2K19.

Anyone recommend any games? I'd prefer story-driven games, platformers or RPGs etc.

Wasteland 2.

1 hour ago, apsham said:

With Persona 5, I'd just wait until the Royale edition is out later this year.

This year in Japan, likely next year for us.

Story driven: God of War! Yazuka 0! Nier: Automata!

RPG: just get persona. It's all you'll ever need.

There's also the Nathan Drake Collection (Uncharted 1-3, remastered!) and Uncharted 4 + Lost Legacy that are bound to give you plenty of hours of fun story driven adventuring.

Also can't forget about Spider-Man if you have even a small interest in the character, best superhero game since Arkham Asylum/ever.