General Gaming Thread

TKz

I had a lot of fun with City, but Asylum is still my favourite. The pressure cooker environment of the asylum was something very special that the sequel couldn't quite replicate. However, I do think that City used its array of villains well, whereas Knight seemed to cram them all in just for the sake of having them. Even then, Knight had its moments.

I always thought City was the weakest of the trilogy. I loved having all the villains kicking off around Gotham, it felt more like being Batman than just focusing on one specific storyline. Going round saving the firefighters and hunting down the serial killers was a fun way to make it seem like theres more to the world than just the Knight/Scarecrow. I didn't even mind the batmobile sections.

Asylum was the best though, hands down.

Remember when I said the 10 year old mechanics rarely get in the way?

Well they really get in the way when you're fighting a titan and 20 mooks in a small room and the camera gets in the way and you can't see what's going on and people are hitting you a bunch. Proper rage inducing.

For me the Batmobile fights were fine, there was just too much of them.

I have all the arkham games on steam, but have around an hour in Asylum and an hour in City. I recently restarted Asylum and hope I can finally get into it, since I have a steam link and can play it on my telly.

After the Croc fight Asylum goes from fun to annoying, it's actually soured me a little because it does that fake difficulty thing where instead of being fun challenging it just puts you in a room with 20 dudes over and over again and it gets super annoying.

It's a damned shame, because it's otherwise a near flawless game (with the 10 year caveat, obvs)

5 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I'm interested in the story of MK. I watched a series recap today and became more confused.

Iirc this is the tldr.

There are three realms, or more, but three of them are featured.

There is outerworld ruled by the evil shao khan.

There is earth, which speaks for itself.

Then there's Heaven, with noted god Raiden being the most prominent character.

Shao Khan wants to take over earth, and wants to use the outerworlds superpowered beings to take control. But Raiden, who likes Earth and hates Shao Khan thinks up a ruse to protect Earth, but only if they can prove themselves.

He tricks Shao Khan into wagering Earth's control over a tournament, the Mortal Kombat, where the winner gets big prizes and if an earthling wins, they retain their freedom for a bunch more years.

Shao Khan is a deceptive shit though, and he breaks all the rules to get his way, but in the end the Humans manage to find a way to win against evil and save themselves.

Then every third game the devs lose interest because it gets too convoluted and too many characters die, so they reboot the series ad nauseum with different lore but technically the same story every time

• Like 1

On 23/04/2019 at 16:23, Ruki said:

I'm interested in the story of MK. I watched a series recap today and became more confused.

This covers the general story progression. Doesn't dig into any Scorpion or Sub-Zero stuff though.

so watching videos of the MK fatalities and they are just so absurd they end up hilarious.

Like 97% of them open with something that is immediately fatal and everything else is just showboating, like a murder victory lap

And then there's one character who does turns into Galactus and fires a mouth laser and it's like why do you even bother fighting people just do that.

• 2 weeks later...