General Gaming Thread

TKz

The Mega Drive version is better, I think. I suppose the SNES version is more of a straight platformer, whereas the Mega Drive edition has an action-platformer feel to it. The latter also had what most consider to be a better soundtrack and art style.

You can throw apples at fat guys to make their trousers fall down before dispatching them with a sword using the animations by the Disney animators that Capcom didn't have access to but Virgin did. Overall, debate will rage over which version is better (well it is THE console war after all...). The Mega Drive seemed to have better levels (a quick google search shows me it also had more. It also had a level so ridiculously stupidly hard in the escape from the Cave of Wonders... Although unlike Lion King and it's monkeys it was self aware enough to have an auto skip unless you had god like reflexes. 

It wasn't the monkeys in Lion King that I hated. There was a level about halfway through (right after the stampede?) that caused me SO MUCH MORE pain than Cave of Wonders ever did in Aladdin. And whereas the later Aladdin levels returned to a more manageable difficulty, those in the Lion King stayed tricky throughout.

That, and the final boss. I only ever completed Lion King once (renting from Blockbuster (H)), and I remember beating the shit out of Scar for ages and ages and ages...but the fight still wouldn't end. Only MUCH, MUCH LATER did I find out that you have to flip Scar off the cliff like in the film to win. This was not make clear to me at all!

• Like 1

It could easily be the preteen nostalgia element making them more frustrating. I don't remember ever getting past the level without a level skip cheat back in the day and being "okay" once I got past that stage. Maybe there were bits that I had a nightmare with but the defining memory of the game is that difficulty getting through it. Ironically some sort of B&C combo/double press to do the flip still has some part in my mind. 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/27/20835249/game-developers-sexual-assault-publicly-accused-allegations-metoo

Accused are Jeremy Soule, a composer who's worked on the Elder Scrolls games, Alec Holowka who was a designer on Night in the Woods, and Luc Shelton, a programmer who works with the company Splash Damage (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, and the multiplayer aspects of Gears of War.)

Women and non-binary people in the industry, including Insomniac Games writer Mary Kenney, have similarly come out since with their own stories of abuse and harassment. At the same time, others, like Mina Vanir, have brought up older accusations that previously received comparatively little attention.

This isn’t the first time men in the video game industry have been accused of sexual abuse or assault. But the sheer number of stories — which only seems to be growing — coupled with the prominence of those being accused makes this moment feel particularly significant, and hopefully something that will actually lead to notable change for an industry where sexism, abuse, and toxic behavior are both widespread and systemic.

We’ve reached out to Splash Damage and Elder Scrolls publisher Bethesda Softworks, employers of two of the accused, and will update this story if we receive a response.

On 8/29/2019 at 9:46 AM, Howdy Cloudy said:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/27/20835249/game-developers-sexual-assault-publicly-accused-allegations-metoo

Accused are Jeremy Soule, a composer who's worked on the Elder Scrolls games, Alec Holowka who was a designer on Night in the Woods, and Luc Shelton, a programmer who works with the company Splash Damage (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, and the multiplayer aspects of Gears of War.)

https://www.pcgamer.com/night-in-the-woods-developer-alec-holowka-has-died/

Alec Holowka, co-founder of Night in the Woods studio Infinite Fall and a designer, programmer, and composer on the game, has died. Holowka's death was announced on Twitter by his sister, Eileen Mary Holowka, who has since locked her account. She did not specify the cause of death, but alluded to suicide, saying that Holowka had recently been supported by crisis services.

7 hours ago, Josh Marenghi said:

Well, Christ.

Ah, good to see she specifically told people not to blame Zoe, even though plenty of misogynistic gamers won’t listen. It sucks to be either of them right now.

"GamerGate wasn't about misogyny"- Lots of people who sent death threats to feminists.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleDaniel said:

just to make it really, really clear from the jump, since it seems like the chuds are coming out across the interwebs -- if you think that gamergate was about anything other than misogyny, you're either a) a misogynist or b) a huge fucking idiot

tenor.png