General Gaming Thread

TKz

41 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I'm excited to play it when it hits Gamepass this week.

it is up there with isaac as best rogue like games. 

Been playing Phantom Doctrine, which is a really neat game. Stealth tactics with a cold war setting. Like MGS but without the mecha and NANOMACHINES SON.

5 minutes ago, Barbaro CaverLUKIEo said:

REALLY? That is massive.

Yep. I think what kills me about most rogue likes is a lack of precise game play. I found this in Enter the Gungeon for example. There is depth, but I found the game play so imprecise in terms of shooting. 

Dead Cells is like Isaac in that the gameplay is so precise. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

Been playing Phantom Doctrine, which is a really neat game. Stealth tactics with a cold war setting. Like MGS but without the mecha and NANOMACHINES SON.

How does it stack up to the nuXCOM titles? Because I've been intrigued, but also heard some lesser things about it.

4 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

How does it stack up to the nuXCOM titles? Because I've been intrigued, but also heard some lesser things about it.

Not sure. What I can tell you is this:

-Phantom Doctrine really, really, really wants you do play stealthy. Sometimes you have to get into combat but these are moments that you're expected to do what you need to then fuck off because...

-Combat can be very very lethal. One-hit kills are possible as well as one-hit multikills. Attacks end in three ways: A dodge, a graze, and a direct hit. How bad a graze is depends on what you're hit with but with most heavy arms a direct hit means you're pretty fucked if you don't have armor. And if you go undercover (which lets you stealth your way into restricted zones under most circumstances) you can't have armor and even with armor you can still be fucked.

-There is a bit of video game logic in that NPCs dont have much sense of object permanence and don't mind if you jump through a window. You can knock out someone in a room behind another's back and as long as you have someone else to dispose the body (which basically clears it from the board), that other person will turn around and seemingly forget that there was a big dude with a gun there just a couple turns ago.

-HOWEVER enemy Agents are the exception to all the AI rules. They keep in touch with all guards and (for some reason) the local police, and if even one goes missing for too long they notice and start actively patrolling, destroying all intel and turning on all cameras you turn off. Unlike most AIs they WILL recognize your agents on sight and if you're not able to knock them out fighting them can be a bitch. They also bleed out when you hand to hand them so you can't just karate chop/dispose them like everyone else, but this is good because you can capture them for intel (and in later stages, apply an MK Ultra suite to them)

So yeah, there's a lot of video game logic in play but the missions are still a blast and the story is great. There's apparently three different campaigns but I'm just playing the CIA one for now cause AMERICA FUCK YEAH.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

-Phantom Doctrine really, really, really wants you do play stealthy. Sometimes you have to get into combat but these are moments that you're expected to do what you need to then fuck off because...

-Combat can be very very lethal. One-hit kills are possible as well as one-hit multikills. Attacks end in three ways: A dodge, a graze, and a direct hit. How bad a graze is depends on what you're hit with but with most heavy arms a direct hit means you're pretty fucked if you don't have armor. And if you go undercover (which lets you stealth your way into restricted zones under most circumstances) you can't have armor and even with armor you can still be fucked.

-There is a bit of video game logic in that NPCs dont have much sense of object permanence and don't mind if you jump through a window. You can knock out someone in a room behind another's back and as long as you have someone else to dispose the body (which basically clears it from the board), that other person will turn around and seemingly forget that there was a big dude with a gun there just a couple turns ago.

-HOWEVER enemy Agents are the exception to all the AI rules. They keep in touch with all guards and (for some reason) the local police, and if even one goes missing for too long they notice and start actively patrolling, destroying all intel and turning on all cameras you turn off. Unlike most AIs they WILL recognize your agents on sight and if you're not able to knock them out fighting them can be a bitch. They also bleed out when you hand to hand them so you can't just karate chop/dispose them like everyone else, but this is good because you can capture them for intel (and in later stages, apply an MK Ultra suite to them)

So yeah, there's a lot of video game logic in play but the missions are still a blast and the story is great. There's apparently three different campaigns but I'm just playing the CIA one for now cause AMERICA FUCK YEAH.

Cheers to the in depth explanation, now i'm definitely more intrigued about it!

6 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

I'd missed this one... I think I'm sold on it now.

4 hours ago, Mad Jack stans Wiccan said:

Project Hospital, a spiritual successor to the Theme Hospital games, is 40% at https://www.chrono.gg/ for the next 18 hours

12 minutes ago, Paton said:

Very good game.

How does it compare to two point hospital

Pretty sure Project Hospital is more straight laced and focused on running a more or less 'serious' hospital as efficiently as possible.

Where 2PH is zany, goofy, ans cartoony and really focused on tapping into that classic Bullfrog charm. PH is a lot more grounded with real(-ish?) diseases to cure whilst 2PH is all about joke diseases and cures ala Theme Hospital.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Thanks 1