General Gaming Thread

TKz

I learned about warp zones on Super Mario All Stars from the video cassette starring Craig Charles. :shifty:

I like to mess around on Super Mario World by just running forward constantly without stopping, in particular on 1-2 whilst trying to get every coin/fruit that's within reasonable jumping distance on ground level. I invented the 'runner' genre, Temple Run owes me money.

And I know we had that 'satire' the other day where people didn't know how to run on SMB, but there was also that story a few months back when Super Metroid went up on the eShop and, thanks to the Wii U Miiverse thing where people can share screenshots and ask for help etc, people were complaining that the game was 'glitched' because they didn't know how to do Samus' curl up into a ball thing.

• Like 1

But yeah, the story isn't amazing, it's just very well told

That pretty much sums up Bioshock: Infinite for me. I can take or leave all the time manipulation malarkey, but I like the way in which the game's story unfolds in a manner that feels as though it intertwines with most of the gameplay. As a player, you're encouraged to explore your surroundings and take in the ambiance, whereas most other games leave that kind of business on the "extra-curricular" pile.

So with my Xbox 360 on the fritz again (my dog peed on it), I've started replaying original Xbox games.

In between smashing through another Madden 07 franchise, I've started up Jade Empire again. I love the original setting (in comparison to other western RPGs at the time) and the combat system. But the one thing I had forgotten is how bloody hard the game is if you don't use the transformation styles (I believe they make the game too easy). More recent RPGs have spoilt me with regenerating health after every fight and standard enemies usually being mere cannon fodder as opposed to actual threats. Also your allies are bloody useless in combat if they're being used as attackers as opposed to support.

Still love the story too even though I know all the twists. Surprised there was no sequel for it (although I think it didn't sell well which'd probably explain why).

I had that issue too when I first played it. I had to bump it down to easy after getting to Tien's Landing. Even then some of the boss fights are ridiculously hard, especially later on in the game (although once you get the Golem transformation form everything becomes stupidly easy).

Trying an entire playthrough on normal and yeah, it gets quite difficult in places (surprised I've only died once to be honest).

I don't remember Jade Empire being all that hard, but then I probably used the transformations and I haven't played it in yeeeeeeaaaaars. I remember they wanted to make a sequel and there was a bit of chatter about it but it hasn't materialized.

Stick with remember me... it's not he best game ever, but the story is rather good and it's just full of "cool" stuff. Because it's quite short it just about escapes the fate of becoming repetitive. Although me and a friend playe dit over a few days (rental) and shared the control, so I don't know if that made a difference.

My only problem with Remember Me is that it's a full priced game. I feel like there's just as much content in Call of Jurarez: Gunslinger and that was like, £10 on release. I think we've reached a point where unless there's a ton of replayability, your game better be fucking incredible if you expect people to pay £40-£50 for 7 hours of gameplay. Say what you will about tacked on multiplayer, it at least adds some content for the amount they expect you to pay.

k-bigpic.jpg

As if I needed another reason to NEVER BUY AN iPHONE!

• Like 5