General Gaming Thread

TKz

Awakening is my next buy for 3DS, but I'm limiting myself on 3DS purchases until I've beaten a game! I think I'm about half way through Bravely Default (with 67 hours clocked), after that I'll blitz Tearaway on my Vita, as that's supposed to be fairly short. Then I'll pick up Awakening to play after Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

So, this week, I've bought a new laptop. It's the first time I've bought a new computer in at least seven or eight years.

This makes me think that I might want to try to play a PC game that's been released in the past decade. That would be a novelty.

When I played PC games reasonably seriously, it was mostly Civ 2, Starcraft, Dungeon Keeper and Age Of Empires.

I'm leaning towards getting Civ 5.

But what I'm interested in, ideally, is a game that I'm not sure even exists. You see, for Civ 2, there was an expansion pack that included a mod based around the works of Jules Verne. And I loved it. I'm looking for something similar. I understand that there is a Civ 5 mod that comes with the expansion set, that's reasonably steampunk-y. But I was wondering if there was anything more specifically tailored in that direction...a strategy game specifically meant to emulate the likes of Jules Verne, HG Wells and so on?

Basically, does such a thing as a steampunk/alternate history Victoriana strategy game exist, or is a Civ 5 mod my best bet?

There is no shame in picking up Civ 5. It´s very different from the old Civ games but the price is very low if you can hold out for it being on sale. I personaly think Civ 4 is the better "new game" even if it´s hard to go back when you got used to no more unit stacking mechanik.
The other Fireaxis Hit of the past years X-Com - Enemy unknowen + Addone would fit your profile of strategie, managment and great game very much aswell.

Also play FTL, Portal 1 + 2, Starcraft 2, maybe Minecraft... theres so many good games you´ll drown in them. And most of them are extremly cheap - worst case you have to wait for a sale and you wont pay more than 10$ on anything.

Games like Skyrim, Morrowind, Fallout 3 by Bethesta or even GTA have a strong moding comunety (Morrowind Overhaul for example

) and might make it worth checking out old console classics in a new light.

There's plenty of Steampunk styled games on Steam. I can't recall the name of it currently but there's one that's called (I THINK) Ironclad Tactics that's part card game and part strategy game? I didn't play it myself, just watched a video of it. Can't bring it up at the moment but if you YouTube "WTF Is Ironclad Tactics", you'll find a video with an overview of the game.

So, this week, I've bought a new laptop. It's the first time I've bought a new computer in at least seven or eight years.

This makes me think that I might want to try to play a PC game that's been released in the past decade. That would be a novelty.

When I played PC games reasonably seriously, it was mostly Civ 2, Starcraft, Dungeon Keeper and Age Of Empires.

I'm leaning towards getting Civ 5.

But what I'm interested in, ideally, is a game that I'm not sure even exists. You see, for Civ 2, there was an expansion pack that included a mod based around the works of Jules Verne. And I loved it. I'm looking for something similar. I understand that there is a Civ 5 mod that comes with the expansion set, that's reasonably steampunk-y. But I was wondering if there was anything more specifically tailored in that direction...a strategy game specifically meant to emulate the likes of Jules Verne, HG Wells and so on?

Basically, does such a thing as a steampunk/alternate history Victoriana strategy game exist, or is a Civ 5 mod my best bet?

There's the Steampunk scenario in the Civ 5 Gods & Kings expansion pack - Empires of the Smoky Skies, other than that I don't think there's many in the same vein. There's a few Steampunk games (as TKz said, Ironclad Tactics is probably your best bet), but not in the same genre as Civ.

Having said that - there is one supposed to be incoming this year from Gaslamp Games called "Clockwork Empires", which is a steampunk city builder rather than Civ builder.

Metal Gear Rising continues to be fantastic. It's supposed to be a short game, but honestly, I've played five hours, haven't finished it and feel like they could cut a bunch of stuff. It's pretty clear they were concerned with how long it'd end up being, because a lot of the combat against regular opponents feels like filler. It's a damn shame, because the pacing was SO GOOD in the first hour and so fast, but it feels so slow running through random maps fighting enemies so easy.

It's like crack though, I need that high, despite the come downs. The boss battles are so good. Apart from the one I just faced with the Sai and the stupid wind powers - that was stupid and not interesting. The best part of the game so far is how fucking over the top it loves to be, this guy came across way more unintentionally cheesy. And the lack of actual thought that went into the battle bored the shit out of me - the french woman was so much fun, you had to think about when to counter, when to not. This one was just "wait until he gets tired and lets you hit him".

Best gaming podcast?

Co-Optional Podcast, formerly The Game Station Podcast. Love it to bits, I've actually had to try and contain myself at work sometimes, it can be super funny. The only downside is that if you're looking for constant video game discussion, they can get derailed occasionally, especially if they're missing one of the usual three members.

Failing that, Giant Bombcast is also great.

My favourite part is the people saying 'Why can't you just put it on the disc?', which I suspect is meant more in a 'You did it once before, what's stopping you from doing it again?' way but still, the potential for irony reaching 'How do I implement DRM?!' levels is high.

I'd just stick them in here, it'll just be Matz posting about stuff he's backed otherwise. I don't think many people here really follow many Kickstarters.

Soul Saga was cool, I think I put money on that. I think.