nPower Football League Thread 2012/13

Lineker

The medical is surely the most difficult part of that for Woodgate. I looked him up to see how he had done in terms of playing the last few years, expecting to see that he'd just left Tottenham. I completely forgot he had even gone to Stoke and spent the last year there.

I genuinely think that if not for injury him and Rio would've been the England back two for the last decade. Top player on his own, but also so good at organising he even made Titus Bramble look like the player he could've been had he had a remotely footballing brain.

• Admin
The Al-Hasawi family have completed their takeover of Championship side Nottingham Forest from the estate of Nigel Doughty.

Doughty put the club up for sale in October but his death four months later added complications to the deal.

In a statement the Kuwaiti family said: "It's an honour and privilege to assume control of this great club. We look forward towards a successful future.

"You can be assured of our best efforts in bringing the Reds back to the top."

The family's interest in the football club first emerged at the end of May, but there was no comment from Forest at that time.

Businessman Fawaz Al-Hasawi had been chairman of Al-Quadisya Sports Club in his native country, but his decision to step down was a precursor to interest in investment within English football.

Doughty, a genuine Forest supporter, helped rebuild the club financially although recovering past glories has proved difficult - with relegation to League One in 2005 a major blow for the former European Cup winners.

Forest eventually returned to the Championship after a three-year absence but, after two consecutive unsuccessful play-off campaigns, they failed to recapture that form last term, finishing 19th.

The Al-Hasawi family intend to hold a press conference on Saturday, 14 July at the club's City Ground.

New Watford boss Gianfranco Zola says attempting to replace predecessor Sean Dyche will be an "exciting challenge."

Dyche led the Hornets to their highest finish for four years last term, but was sacked by new owners the Pozzo family to make way for Zola's arrival.

"It's a challenge because Sean has done a very good job and my appreciation goes to him," the former Chelsea striker told BBC Radio 5 live.

"It poses a big challenge for me but I am excited by it."

He added: "It will push me and the players to improve. Hopefully everything is going to be in place and we can do a good job."

The Pozzos, who also own Serie A side Udinese and Spanish La Liga outfit Granada, completed their takeover of the Championship club in June and relieved Dyche of his duties a week later.

They immediately handed a two-year deal to fellow Italian Zola, whose single previous managerial stint came with West Ham, and are likely to offer the new manager the opportunity to loan players from their two European clubs.

"They've been in football for 25 years and they have a very good record," said 46-year-old Zola.

"They invest their own money but they invest it wisely. They are very good at finding good young players which is something that suits this club.

"I have my way of playing and the good thing for me is when I need a player in a certain position they can provide me with four or five choices - good choices."

Zola, who scored 80 goals in 312 games for Chelsea, says he will be under no pressure to mastermind an instant promotion to the Premier League.

"When it happens, I don't know - but that's what we are trying to do," he explained.

"We will try to make it work quickly but we will need some time."

Meanwhile, the club have already been linked with Czech international Daniel Pudil, 26, and his compatriot Matej Vydra, 20, who play for Udinese and Granada respectively.

Pudil is supposedly a very good player. Pleased with that.

Kuwaiti owners I believe have just taken them over. And I believe they're signing a Kuwaiti striker too?

I hope Kuwaiti is the correct term.

Apparently so. His name is Firas Al Khatib and if this footage is anything to go by, he looks as though he's got bags of pace.

• Admin

He's Syrian. I posted it in the transfer thread yesterday iirc.

Bit harsh on Cotterill. His task was to keep them up and begi to build, which he was doing. Still, it'll be interesting to see who they get in. They've also cancelled a pre-season tour of the US.

If they line-up to play a League One football match on August 18th I will be absolutely amazed. They're so far beyond a shambles right now that the words don't even exist.

And Steve Cotterill is my least favourite man in the entire football league, but I think that's harsh. More foreign owners with questionable at best knowledge of the game in this country, more unnecessary sackings.

Edited by AdamDRFC