nPower Football League Thread 2012/13

Lineker

What exactly are 'rail seats'? How do they work?

Personally I don't want standing to come back, I don't really see the harm in having all-seaters and it certainly isn't common in grounds I've been to for everyone to just stand up anyway. Plus if they have a mixture in a stand surely there'd be conflict if you stand up in front of someone who wants to sit down?

I really have to sit down because my knees can't take constant standing for long periods of time, but it is fun to be on terraces and the atmosphere is certainly better.

Edited by AdamDRFC

What exactly are 'rail seats'? How do they work?

Personally I don't want standing to come back, I don't really see the harm in having all-seaters and it certainly isn't common in grounds I've been to for everyone to just stand up anyway. Plus if they have a mixture in a stand surely there'd be conflict if you stand up in front of someone who wants to sit down?

I really have to sit down because my knees can't take constant standing for long periods of time, but it is fun to be on terraces and the atmosphere is certainly better.

It hurts a hell of a lot more when you fall forwards in seated areas than it does on terraces, like you say people are going to stand up anyway so why not make it safer?

Oh and rail seats = http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/artman/uploads/red_rail_seats_405.jpg

Sooner the better for me, there's so many pros and the cons ignore all the facts about the proposed system. Truth be told I'd probably keep my seat (I'd imagine if it comes in it'd be behind the goals at Newcastle) but I'd certainly be up for standing away, and the improvement to the atmosphere at home games would be fantastic.

Portsmouth boss Michael Appleton hopes to meet prospective new owner Balram Chainrai this week with a view to signing new players.

Chainrai and the Pompey Supporters Trust are vying for control of the club which has eight days to avoid closure.

The three senior players left at the club must leave before the 10 August for the club to avoid liquidation.

But Appleton says he hopes an interim agreement can be reached with Chainrai to start bringing new players in.

"I think if the three remaining senior players left then obviously I would be given the green light to move straight away and sign players," Appleton told BBC Radio Solent.

"But I'd like to think over the next few days I would be given the opportunity to speak to Portpin [Chainrai's company] and come up with a different solution. I am coming at it from a different perspective and that's what I'm going to try and do."

Only Dave Kitson, Tal Ben Haim and Liam Lawrence remain at the club and all three players must reach compromise agreements - accepting a reduction in salary - or leave before Chainrai or the PST can bring the club out of administration via a company voluntary arrangement.

Adam Blackmore BBC Radio Solent sports editor "The Portsmouth Supporters Trust are jostling with Balram Chainrai to own Pompey, and have spent months trying to raise enough money to convince administrator Trevor Birch that they are a viable alternative to the much-maligned Hong King businessman.

"With just eight days to go until the possible closure of the club on August the 10th, PST will today reveal the name of their proposed new chairman of the club, who could be one of a number of individuals we're expecting to find out about who has invested in the Trust's bid."

Until then Appleton and the triallists at the club are in limbo and Pompey's manager says he is desperate to get on with things.

"We've got a few players in on trial who are waiting for me to be given the green light so I can sign them," he explained.

"There are certain players in there I would sign very quickly. You've got to give them a little bit of credit for being so patient as they are desperate to get a contract.

"Next Friday is looming and we want to be in a position where we can get on with things."

The PST will reveal details of their bid to take control of the club on Thursday where they will unveil new backers and put forward a potential new chairman.

Appleton says he does not think a fans group taking control of the club would compromise the amount he has to spend in the transfer market.

"I'd like to think from the administrator's point of view, Trevor has put together the same business module for all parties interested in buying the club and that includes the Trust," said Appleton.

"So I would hope my transfer budget would not be compromised if they took over the club."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19092526

So much is wrong with this article. Basically they're trying to force the players who have legal contracts out of the club so that they can BUY MORE PLAYERS? What the hell is wrong with Portsmouth? They've already done this shafting trick with their youth players a few years ago, but now they want to do it again? Given that he's talking about a TRANSFER BUDGET and not a wage budget, it's obvious that he wants to sign players with a fee, instead of picking up out of contract players like they should really be aiming at.

I just don't understand how anyone can feel any sympathy for Portsmouth. They keep using the 'community club' idea to emotionally blackmail people into leaving the club before signing more players so they can try the same trick again in the future.

Agreed General, I have no sympathy for the club. They've done this before, indeed two of the three players they still have were signed on large wage packets whilst the club was struggling. I hope they hold out and force the closure of the club if this is the method they're going to use to drag themselves back.

Those rail seats look odd, and the logistical problem has been pointed out by cymru. I'm still torn on the whole issue myself.

Also, why would you fall forward either way Matt? Eh?

Thing with those rail seats is, if the person in front of you is standing, then you kinda have to stand as well or you don't see anything. But they would be useful for halftime and stuff.

That's the point. It isn't to have mixed seated/standing blocks, its to have standing blocks with a defined seat number to avoid the overcrowding panic that's the main objection, the seats are there for half time etc. Basically if you want to sit, sit in the usual bits, if you want to stand go in these bits. I've been reading the FSF info for years, I genuinely can't see a single.reason not to do it, it can even generate more money due to slightly less area being required per spectator.

Agreed General, I have no sympathy for the club. They've done this before, indeed two of the three players they still have were signed on large wage packets whilst the club was struggling. I hope they hold out and force the closure of the club if this is the method they're going to use to drag themselves back.

Those rail seats look odd, and the logistical problem has been pointed out by cymru. I'm still torn on the whole issue myself.

Also, why would you fall forward either way Matt? Eh?

Because sometimes when you score an important goal, you're prone to jumping around and going a bit crazy, thus your balance is off, so if someone knocks you, you can easily fall.

I think the idea of railed seating is more that everyone still has a designated seat and thus making sure that areas of the stand don't get overcrowded than it is allowing you to choose whether to sit or stand. I imagine if you're going in the rail seated area you're doing so because you want to stand rather than sit.

True enough Matt, I guess this is less of an issue at the Keepmoat where the leg room is quite spacious.

Plus at Elland Road last season we just went for a run in disbelief when we scored to take the lead. What a great five minutes that was.

I'm all for safe standing. I stand at the matches usually anyways, depending on who is behind me and whether they're willing to stand or not. If not I usually shuffle around the row a bit so I can find a place to stand where I'm not obscuring anyone's view. I've moved seats for next season at Sunderland into the newly designated 'singing stand' which the club have pretty much said will be an unofficial standing area and the stewarding will be more 'lax' as opposed to the Nazi stance the blue coats currently instigate around the stadium.

And we always stand away anyways, it's pretty much the accepted norm. Whether you're front or back (and I was in both last season), you just stand. I think you can request tickets at the front if you can't stand for 90 minutes, so that's generally what people do. Without getting into a whole 'legal/illegal' debate I cringe when I see away fans being asked to sit down at the ground, mainly because half the people in the corner next to them - where I am - are usually stood.

Just comes down to the key point for me, people aren't hurt by standing up. Whatever bits and bobs you believe about Hillsborough the fact is that people weren't killed by standing up, they were killed by there being too many people in too small a space.

No ones calling for a return to open terraces with people pissing at the back, its modern stadia with an option to stand up which many people would prefer to do. Builds the atmosphere, prevents the annoying conflict with stewards as Ace said (attempt to throw someone out for standing, entire block stands, repeat for 90 minutes), and makes more money for the club.

• Admin
Blackburn's pre-season friendly with Dutch club NEC Nijmegen on Sunday afternoon has been cancelled because of the threat of fan violence.

The decision came after claims that Rovers fans had been involved in disturbances with rival supporters.

A statement on the Dutch Police website www.politie.nl said: "Supporters of Blackburn Rovers were involved in rioting in Deventer on Friday.

"On Saturday there was a confrontation with supporters of NEC Nijmegen."

The statement added: "The deputy mayor of Nijmegen has decided to cancel the exhibition game between NEC and Blackburn Rovers. That match was due to be played today at 2.30pm during the annual open day of NEC.

"On the basis of serious signals to the police that a confrontation would take place again today, deputy mayor Henk Beerten, in consultation with police, judiciary and mayor Hubert Bruls, decided to cancel the match this afternoon.

"Today, 8,000 visitors are expected at the open day of NEC which starts at 12.30pm, including many families with children.

"With the serious threat of unrest in the Goffertpark around the exhibition game, it is not sensible to play this game today."

Blackburn issued a statement on their website, which read: "Both clubs wish to express their disappointment that such a decision has been necessary."

The match with NEC Nijmegen was meant to be Blackburn's second game in three days in Holland after they had lost 4-2 against Go Ahead Eagles in another friendly on Friday.

RW I know Kapalua has been frustrating you a lot but rioting is not the answer.

Blackburn's pre-season friendly with Dutch club NEC Nijmegen on Sunday afternoon has been cancelled because of the threat of fan violence.

The decision came after claims that Rovers fans had been involved in disturbances with rival supporters.

A statement on the Dutch Police website www.politie.nl said: "Supporters of Blackburn Rovers were involved in rioting in Deventer on Friday.

"On Saturday there was a confrontation with supporters of NEC Nijmegen."

The statement added: "The deputy mayor of Nijmegen has decided to cancel the exhibition game between NEC and Blackburn Rovers. That match was due to be played today at 2.30pm during the annual open day of NEC.

"On the basis of serious signals to the police that a confrontation would take place again today, deputy mayor Henk Beerten, in consultation with police, judiciary and mayor Hubert Bruls, decided to cancel the match this afternoon.

"Today, 8,000 visitors are expected at the open day of NEC which starts at 12.30pm, including many families with children.

"With the serious threat of unrest in the Goffertpark around the exhibition game, it is not sensible to play this game today."

Blackburn issued a statement on their website, which read: "Both clubs wish to express their disappointment that such a decision has been necessary."

The match with NEC Nijmegen was meant to be Blackburn's second game in three days in Holland after they had lost 4-2 against Go Ahead Eagles in another friendly on Friday.

Actually, the match was moved to another stadium, held behind closed doors and finished 0-0

I just don't understand how anyone can feel any sympathy for Portsmouth. They keep using the 'community club' idea to emotionally blackmail people into leaving the club before signing more players so they can try the same trick again in the future.

I hold sympathy for the club because having lived in Portsmouth I know how much it means to the town. Honestly, as much as I liked the people down there, it is a shithole and there isn't very much going for it besides the Navy history it has (not that it's a bad thing - the docks are a very important part of British history). It's not the fans fault that the club has been badly mismanaged and in fairness it's not Michael Appleton's fault either. He's just trying to build a team with what he has.

So much is wrong with this article. Basically they're trying to force the players who have legal contracts out of the club so that they can BUY MORE PLAYERS? What the hell is wrong with Portsmouth? They've already done this shafting trick with their youth players a few years ago, but now they want to do it again? Given that he's talking about a TRANSFER BUDGET and not a wage budget, it's obvious that he wants to sign players with a fee, instead of picking up out of contract players like they should really be aiming at.

I don't think the idea is to buy players from other clubs. By transfer budget, he's really meaning the wage budget plus potential sign-on fees and all of that. It's not like he's asking to get rid of Ben-Haim to go sign Gael Clichy. The situation at the club is that the current first team contracts are too much for the club to commit to, so they need to get rid of the £50kpw players and sign players on contracts probably closer to £10k or less, which at League One level they could maintain.

I believe clubs need to be sanctioned in situations like this, but like Rangers in Scotland sometimes people can want to rain down the punishments just too much on a club to prove a point. I think Portsmouth have certainly learned their lesson here, although I have to say I am all for the PST taking over instead of Portpin. They're in part at fault for the mess, so I don't really think they should remain in charge.

• Admin
Bury have granted Crawley Town permission to speak to manager Richie Barker about the vacant post at the Broadfield Stadium.

Shakers chairman Brian Fenton confirmed to BBC Radio Manchester that Barker will hold talks with the Sussex side.

League One Crawley are currently without a manager after Sean O'Driscoll joined Nottingham Forest last month.

Barker took over as Bury boss on a caretaker basis in April 2011 and took the job permanently last June.

The approach for Barker comes after Aldershot boss Dean Holdsworth and then Sheffield United academy manager John Pemberton turned down the job this summer.

Craig Brewster is in his second spell as caretaker manager after guiding the club to promotion from League Two last season once Steve Evans moved to Rotherham in April.

O'Driscoll's departure for Championship side Forest came before he had even managed a game for the Red Devils.