nPower Football League Thread 2012/13

Lineker

Half an hour after beating Crawley 3-0 and Swindon manager Paolo Di Canio is out helping cut t' grass.

33ubb0i.jpg

Nutter.

In other news Andy Robinson scored a(n apparently superb) hat trick against Carlisle tonight at Brunton Park as Tranmere won 3-0. Not used to Carlisle not scoring at Brunton Park! Must be because I've stopped going. :)

Not my lot by any stretch! :P

And I'm not happy with them either, all they had to do is score one goal and I'd have been a good £40-50 richer. Thirlwell had a shot cleared off t' line too apparently. (Although since 'off t' line' generally means 'anywhere inside t' opponents half' these days, I'm not sure how close it really was.)

• Admin

#Pen4Ken! :lol:

Also:

A Doncaster Rovers footballer has been told he will be given the chairman's Bentley if he scores more than 20 goals this season.

Midfielder Kyle Bennett said John Ryan promised to give him the car, worth about £50,000, if he met the target.

Mr Bennett, 21, said the offer was made to him at Walsall following a 3-0 win earlier this month.

Mr Ryan said the incentive was to help the League One club get promoted.

He said: "There's method in my madness. If Kyle gets 20 goals, I think two things are likely to happen - he'll be worth about £2m to £3m in the transfer market and we're more than likely to be in the Championship, which is worth about £5m to £6m."

Mr Bennett has scored two goals so far this season - including one against Walsall. Last season he found the net six times.

But he said he "did not want to get carried away" by the offer.

He added: "Even if he didn't offer me the Bentley, I would still be looking to get that on the score sheet.

"It would be nice...There are 44 games to go in the season.

"He hasn't said it to any other lads, just me. I think he's said it as an incentive for me to score a few goals.

"My aim is to just help get the team promoted to be honest.

"I think he is probably looking to get a new car anyway."

Mr Ryan, who owns two Bentleys, said the player would be given a Continental sports model if he scored the goals before the end of the season.

But he added: "I've already told the manager - make sure he doesn't take penalties."

Brilliant.

I can see it now: Bates takes all the pens, sticks them in the stationery cupboard and cancels the next stationery order, thus saving a few hundred pounds. He declares this another instance of him 'saving the club' before pocketing the money himself as a bonus.

• Like 1

We've had the first managerial casualty of the season. Coventry have sacked Andy Thorn.

As a Sky Blue fan (I know, I know!), I do feel sorry for Andy Thorn- he was promoted from within the club as a cost-saving measure and then when he did get the team playing good football, the club simply allowed the best players at the club to leave and then compounded that error by failing to invest in decent to good players who might have kept us in the Championship. We had some okish young players, yes, but they didn't have the necessary experience needed for the situation we found ourselves in. I also can't believe that Coventry are the first club to sack their manager this season, only three league games into a 46 game league and the timing also means that the new manager (whoever it may be) won't be able to spend any (if we've got some, that is) money in the transfer window.