European Football Thread

IAceI

• Admin

Russia internationals Aleksandr Kokorin and Pavel Mamaev have been detained by police and face possible prison sentences after allegedly attacking a man outside a cafe in Moscow.

The attack was captured on CCTV cameras and shows a man, identified as ministry of industry and trade official Denis Pak, being kicked and punched in the street by a group of people said to include the two footballers. Kokorin is a forward at Zenit St Petersburg while midfielder Mamaev represents FC Krasnodar.

The pair were summoned by police for questioning having been told if they did not, nationwide search warrants would be issued. According to officials, Kokorin and Mamaev did that on Wednesday and are now in custody over charges of hooliganism, which carries a maximum jail sentence of seven years.

Kokorin and Mamaev have declined to comment on the matter. However, the Russian Premier League has wasted no time in describing them as “hooligans” while Zenit and Krasnodar have also not shied away from criticising their own players.

Zenit’s statement read: “What happened in Moscow involving Aleksandr Kokorin has caused great disgust and indignation at the club. We don’t think it’s necessary to speak of a club punishment for the player – it will come, but right now the management of Zenit and the fans feel nothing but dismay, that one of the country’s most talented footballers has behaved disgustingly.

“We await the legal assessment by the relevant bodies, but from the human and emotional viewpoint such an incident only arouses shame.”

Krasnodar, meanwhile, are already looking into terminating Mamaev’s contract. A club statement read: “Unfortunately, contracts are drawn up in such a way that they protect professional athletes to the greatest possible extent. But we will do everything to get it done.”

Kokorin, 27, has 48 caps for Russia but missed this year’s World Cup with a knee injury. Mamaev, 30, has represented the national team 15 times. Zenit beat Krasnodar 2-1 in the league on Sunday.

3pm blackout is ridiculous for many reasons but primarily because it really only goes to strengthen use of illegal streams. Premier League is one of the few successful businesses that tries to actively stop it's fans legally paying for their product.

The current TV format in the UK is a bubble waiting to burst. Extremely high costs for a limited product. It's a terrible combo

It's especially annoying here in Ireland because Sky had the rights here too. That one time, where I, in Ireland, couldn't watch the first half an hour of El Classico taking place in Spain because there were some rubbish lower league games on in England. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TCO said:

3pm blackout is ridiculous for many reasons but primarily because it really only goes to strengthen use of illegal streams. Premier League is one of the few successful businesses that tries to actively stop it's fans legally paying for their product.

The current TV format in the UK is a bubble waiting to burst. Extremely high costs for a limited product. It's a terrible combo

It's especially annoying here in Ireland because Sky had the rights here too. That one time, where I, in Ireland, couldn't watch the first half an hour of El Classico taking place in Spain because there were some rubbish lower league games on in England. 

The blackout is so that lower league clubs don't get lower attendances due to floating fans choosing to stay at home and watch a neutral game instead.

Call them "rubbish lower league games" all you want but it's okay for a team like Newcastle with the millions upon millions they receive just for being in the Premier League. Clubs at our level and below survive because of the revenue generated by ticket sales and the money fans spend once through the turnstiles.

So I feel you're missing the point somewhat. Eleven Sports flaunting the law purposely and being backed up in doing so by a foreign organisation is ridiculous and should not be allowed to go unchecked. La Liga have no right whatsoever to try and tell us how to treat our football pyramid especially considering it is more substantive and populated than the equivalent in Spain and pretty much every other country in football.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Colly said:

To jump immediately onto that example, if Newcastle are away I'll often pop along to my local non league side. I'd probably stay at home and watch us on telly if it was an option. 

Likewise, when I was a poor teenager I would go along to Tranmere games on a Saturday, but if the option had been there I'd have likely stayed at home and watched the TV game.

I don't think it's a coincidence that this news has come out in the same week that Radrizanni made the statement about PL2. The current television deal doesn't help us as a club at all and while i agree with the 3pm blackout that is also detrimental when we hardly ever play at 3pm on a Saturday.

And that's without generally talking about how the football league are determined to fuck us over (understandably, we're their cash cow, lose us and they probably won't get anywhere near the television deal)... 50 games and no penalties, no red cards for the opposition when there's been 1 goal or fewer in it for over a year and countless dodgy decisions given against us. That's before we even go into "let's arbitrarily make up some 15 point penalty and apply it to Leeds, and to make it stick let'sask if the other teams in the league wouldlike that... And when it's judged to be unreasonable, let's say that it's unfair on every other club to reinstate those points". I've kinda forgot what the original point of this was but fuck the football league. Corrupt set of cunts.

No conclusive proof of violent conduct apparently

16 hours ago, TCO said:

It's kinda nice that there's some protection out there still for lower leagues though. Attendances are fairly good from what I understand and I'm sure the blackout helps.