European Football Thread

IAceI

Plenty of season left to play, and I don't know if Leverkusen can withstand some of the late season attrition due to their depth not being what Bayern's always is. But a 5 pt advantage is massive given their form and the general dropoff in the Bundesliga that appears to be the case after the top two spots this year.

If Ole continues this track record of falling upwards, he'll be Emperor of the Universe by 2040.

• Haha 1

It all feels so corrupt. They agree to a deal, Davies is pressured to agree to his contract with Real (that won't be hard), and then Bayern is given enough windows to find their replacement.

Smaller clubs could never manage this. They make agreements for the following window all the time but never a vague "he'll join eventually, when the mood is right" agreement.

• Admin

The former Manchester United defender John O’Shea will take charge of the Republic of Ireland’s March friendlies after being named as the interim head coach.

O’Shea, who had a spell as assistant to the former manager Stephen Kenny, will be supported by the Crystal Palace coach Paddy McCarthy for the games at home to Belgium and Switzerland next month. The Football Association of Ireland said it planned to name a permanent successor to Kenny in early April.

O’Shea, who is third on the Republic’s list of men’s appearance-makers with 118 caps, said: “It will be an incredible honour to lead the side into the March international window. As everyone will know, I’ve always had immense pride representing my country, whether that be during my playing career or very recently, as part of the coaching staff for the men’s senior team and the under-21s.”

The Republic have been without a manager since November, when the FAI confirmed Kenny’s contract would not be renewed. O’Shea said: “I’ve got great belief in this group of players to win football matches and am looking forward to some positive results.”