EWB's Top 100 Artists of 2012

gunnar hendershow

Radiohead is pretty boring. They're not the worst band of all time though.

Also, how can someone have never heard of Miles Davis? I don't even care for most jazz (the jazziest jazz I jazz is the freejazz of Captain Beefheart) but I had heard of Miles Davis years before I heard any of his music.

• Like 1

The White Stripes were a great rock band, even with much of Get Behind Me, Satan in existence.

The Beastie Boys were a tremendous hip-hop group even if Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 is not the kind of swan song I'd have liked for them. Still, they're probably the only musical act I liked in 1998 that I still like in 2012.

Nine Inch Nails I will diplomatically say is not for me. Rage had a couple of decent songs but I would never go out of my way to listen to them.

NIN - A band that I have no contempt for, but have no personal affection for either.

The White Stripes - I like pretty much everything I've heard. I should dig in deeper sometime. I particularly like Icky Thump.

RATM - Perfect picture. I respect Tom Morello quite a lot. I like this band a bit during high school. That's about it.

Beastie Boys - I really should take more time with their deep cuts. I don't even spend much time with their hits, but I pretty much always enjoy them.

Re: getting into The White Stripes

Elephant is their most consistently great album. De Stijl is also pretty wonderful. Of the others, White Blood Cells has an amazing first half and then falls apart a bit, their self-titled debut is fine but doesn't really have a ton of highlights, Get Behind Me, Satan has "My Doorbell" and "The Denial Twist" and that's it, and Icky Thump is pretty good but it has a couple of dumb tracks.

I really wish I could love Nine Inch Nails but I find them mostly boring. That hey pig piggy pig pig song is amazing though. Can't remember what it is called.

I like most White Stripes singles but their albums are mostly samey or, when they try to be not samey, they are rubbish. White Blood Cells is good though. I like nearly all of it. But I can only put up with dreadful drumming for so long.

Rage Against The Machine are alright but a bit boring and formulaic. I used to think they were the same band as Rise Against when I was a when I was a youngateeeer. Killing In The Name is a brilliant party banger though.

Beastie Boys are good. It's a shame it took MCA's death for me to properly look into them but I guess it is better than never. They are cool. I even quite liked Hot Sauce Committee!

Blind Guardian is a braille newspaper.

Magnificent.

The groups are starting to get a little more obvious now, I feel. I hope we get a few more completely unexpected gems later on, but this one was pretty dull.

Nine Inch Nails are good, but aside from when they come on shuffle on my iPod, I haven't listened to them in years. "Piggy" and "Reptile" are still brilliant, though, and I've always wanted to do a stripped down, acoustic cover of both of them. One of the best live bands I've ever seen.

Similarly, I can't remember the last time I listened to the White Stripes. Great band, insane that they got as popular as they did, but they've done some brilliant stuff.

I never massively got into Rage. I have all of their albums, though, for one reason or another. It probably says a lot that I think the covers album is the best. They did some good stuff, but also a lot of first year politics student ranting and teenage angst.

I know precious little of the Beastie Boys, but I like some of what I know, just never enough to have gone out of my way to get more.