The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

He pulls the left leg up to do the typically exaggerated fall, but he still gets caught on the right, there's no doubt whatsoever for me that Guzan has impeded him which is a penalty whether he goes down or not. Sadly refs probably wouldn't give the pen if he just stumbles off the pitch off balance, which is part of the reason we have this problem in the first place.

Actually, looking at that .gif, the contact's on his right leg, but he goes down as if his left leg's been caught.

From all the replays they showed during the game, the contact is nothing. Suarez tries to make some by flicking his leg towards Guzan but he doesn't even touch him that I could see. He then goes down while flicking his other leg as if it was caught.

It doesn't matter, a penalty was given, but its a dive. And saying Guzan goes through him is mad, even if you see contact it's definitely not going through him.

He's entitled to go down because there's contract. Jesus, people. We've been through this before. There'd barely be any fouls ever if not for "diving."

:rolleyes:

-

I'm not even looking at it with bias eyes now, I'm trying to see contact, I see none. Honestly. I see his foot flick up some turf, then he flicks his other leg and goes down.

The other angles don't show anything other Guzan's body sliding then Gnasher going down. Guzan's body blocks the view.

I googled for a gif, that was what I found.

I saw all the same angles everyone else did, I saw no contact then either.

The wording isn't quite right (especially 'there'd barely be any more fouls') but the logic is about sound. Unfortunately refs are almost conditioned not to give fouls unless someone goes to ground. I'm not advocating players putting winning fouls ahead of playing a ball (it's one of my biggest criticisms of Suarez, why go down on the halfway line when you could keep driving into the opponents half?) but at the same time I can fully understand why he'd go to ground rather than try to control the ball having been caught.

If Guzan doesn't touch him he either does a silly dive and hopefully gets caught and booked, or he gets the ball and is in a good position to play a team mate in with the keeper on the floor. As it is Guzan clearly does hit him, sliding at speed for a few yards, and it's easily enough to give the penalty. I'm not sure what replays you've seem, but the reverse angle to that gif makes it look clear, and a 3 man MOTD panel all felt it was a penalty.

There was contact. No, no enough to physically trip him up, but that's playing the game. Yeah, he could've easily jumped over Guzan, but why would he do that?

He was already round him.. why would he jump? :\

The wording isn't quite right (especially 'there'd barely be any more fouls') but the logic is about sound. Unfortunately refs are almost conditioned not to give fouls unless someone goes to ground. I'm not advocating players putting winning fouls ahead of playing a ball (it's one of my biggest criticisms of Suarez, why go down on the halfway line when you could keep driving into the opponents half?) but at the same time I can fully understand why he'd go to ground rather than try to control the ball having been caught.

If Guzan doesn't touch him he either does a silly dive and hopefully gets caught and booked, or he gets the ball and is in a good position to play a team mate in with the keeper on the floor. As it is Guzan clearly does hit him, sliding at speed for a few yards, and it's easily enough to give the penalty. I'm not sure what replays you've seem, but the reverse angle to that gif makes it look clear, and a 3 man MOTD panel all felt it was a penalty.

I, genuinely, don't see the contact.

No point arguing it really, I honestly don't see it. Ah well.