Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

The whole interview is really eye opening and humanising. Everyone's seen the pictures in papers etc but until this no one would know what's really been going on for him. 

I'm glad he's managed to find the strength to speak openly about his life and struggles and he seems to be going on the right track again. Hopefully he can get his career back on track too, be a shame given his talent. 

• Like 3

It's not surprising really. I think anyone would struggle with those kind of traumatic event's. It is quite sobering is the interview. I'm glad he has been able to open up, express the issue's he has been having and the background of what it has led towards regarding his struggles, performance and addictions.

It's easy to see comment's from the media, fan's and other's on his recent performances with their critical way's, without thinking what could be behind them or actually going on. I'm hoping he will be on the right track to recover, overcome his issue's and get a second chance at playing. It's not his fault his career has struggled at the moment, or that he has been struggling with some problem's.

He's a fantastic talent and I loved his work for England in 2018. Good luck Dele. 

As mentioned that it was a humanising interview. Although do wonder how many other's have had similar issue's or struggles going on. How many of them keep quiet and yet people be critical without really knowing what is going on. While the media and fan's are picking them apart most week's. 

At least with him being honest it may drive home the message of not judging someone for having a tough time in the sport (in life too) and other's to be able to open up. 

I will probably now think more before I'm critical of a performance in anything. Not just in football.

• Like 1

Fucking love Dele. 

Find his strength inspiring and hope that he continues to get the love and support he needs to lead the life he wants.

That man has given me countless good memories and I am livid that our club failed him, the All or Nothing doc was a failure of care. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would not be surprised if, even with this injury of Fofana's, Chelsea still sell off Chalobah.

It's funny. If you look at the Chelsea squad that's just flown out to the USA for pre-season. I can't help but think it looks really fucking weak. Coloured names are my attempt at a 'strongest' First XI (blue) in a 4-2-3-1, and then seven on the bench (red).

GOALKEEPERS (5): Arrizabalaga, Slonina, Bergström, Beach, Cumming

DEFENDERS (9+1): Silva, Chalobah, Chilwell, Cucurella, Gusto, Humphreys, Colwill, Maatsen, Gilchrist, James (joining later)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Enzo, Gallagher, Chukwuemeka, Santos, Casadei, Hall

FORWARDS (9): Mudryk, Sterling, Madueke, Ângelo, Moreira, Jackson, Nkunku, Burstow, Richards (“training only”)

You'll note that there is currently fuck-all depth in forwards. Lukaku, Auba, Ziyech etc. haven't traveled because their departures are in progress. TBH even some of the players I picked for the bench, like Casadei, are likely to be off on loan by the start of the real season.

Badiashile and Broja are also absent from the list above to "continue their respective recoveries from injury"... so we'll see how that goes. 

Other incomings? I assume Caicedo will eventually happen, but not yet.

Beyond that, who the fuck knows. And the clock is ticking.

I'm still waiting for evidence that these guys know how to build a squad and not just trade investments.

1 hour ago, stokeriño said:

I would not be surprised if, even with this injury of Fofana's, Chelsea still sell off Chalobah.

It's funny. If you look at the Chelsea squad that's just flown out to the USA for pre-season. I can't help but think it looks really fucking weak. Coloured names are my attempt at a 'strongest' First XI (blue) in a 4-2-3-1, and then seven on the bench (red).

You'll note that there is currently fuck-all depth in forwards. Lukaku, Auba, Ziyech etc. haven't traveled because their departures are in progress. TBH even some of the players I picked for the bench, like Casadei, are likely to be off on loan by the start of the real season.

Badiashile and Broja are also absent from the list above to "continue their respective recoveries from injury"... so we'll see how that goes. 

Other incomings? I assume Caicedo will eventually happen, but not yet.

Beyond that, who the fuck knows. And the clock is ticking.

I'm still waiting for evidence that these guys know how to build a squad and not just trade investments.

It's an absolutely bizarre position given how bloated the squad was until last month; we absolutely need to get some more signings through the door, otherwise I just can't see the Poch era getting off to a strong start. 5 (?!) keepers going out on a pre-season tour is just plain odd, especially when there's only 6 midfielders (unless Jamie Cumming is also a capable deep lying playmaker).

• Admin

Chelsea have not made a final decision on their redevelopment plans for Stamford Bridge despite agreeing a deal in principle to buy a piece of land next to their stadium.

Winning the race to buy a 1.2-acre site belonging to Stoll, a provider of supported housing for veterans, will reduce the chances of Chelsea having to find a new home. Building one of the biggest and best stadiums in the country has been a key concern for the owners, Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital, and the path forward has become a little clearer after Stoll’s board of trustees approved the sale of the majority of its Sir Oswald Stoll Mansions site, subject to further consultation with residents.

However sources close to the process have stressed that Chelsea buying the land will not automatically mean they build a new state-of-the-art ground at Stamford Bridge. All options remain on the table and the club have not ruled out a move.

It is understood that Chelsea view moving to Earl’s Court as an attractive proposition if they are unable to find a way to stay put. Any move would depend on the club receiving backing from the Chelsea Pitch Owners, who own the freehold of Stamford Bridge stadium and the name Chelsea FC, and that would require significant negotiation.

The significance of buying the Stoll site is that it will give Chelsea flexibility as the hierarchy considers the best way forward. Stamford Bridge’s capacity of 40,341 is at the smaller end in the Premier League but a rebuild is not straightforward. The current site offers little room for manoeuvre and the stadium sitting next to a tube line is a major complication.

Buying the land owned by Stoll is essential for Chelsea if they are to knock down Stamford Bridge and go ahead with a major expansion. Doing so will give them more room for a rebuild, which is why they cannot afford for another developer to win the bidding process. Stoll received 13 bids and the consultation with residents will run for nine weeks, with a final decision due in the autumn. Under the proposed plans Stoll will retain 20 flats on the Fulham site.

Chelsea will be left with three options as they consider how to increase their attendance and bring in more matchday revenue: a complete rebuild of Stamford Bridge, a stand-by-stand redevelopment or a move to a new site. The project is being overseen by Jonathan Goldstein, a board member, and Janet Marie Smith, the executive vice president of planning and development for the LA Dodgers.

It is understood that a stand-by-stand rebuild is viewed as the least attractive option. It is felt the project would take too long and would be an unnecessary compromise. The sense is that Chelsea would gain little from going down that route and would not end up with a world-class stadium. They do not have the space to minimise disruption to supporters by building new stands behind existing ones.

The favoured option for supporters would be for Chelsea to demolish Stamford Bridge, rebuild and stay in SW6. It is estimated that would take at least five years, meaning Chelsea would need to play in a temporary home. Tottenham spent two years at Wembley while constructing their new ground, which has a capacity of 62,850.

If the sale of the Stoll mansions goes ahead, the charity will look to establish new properties for veterans with support needs who would benefit from improved facilities and broader services and enhance its community outreach programmes.

Stoll consulted residents over the site last year and have spent the past six months reviewing bids. “The board assessed many factors, and concluded that the Chelsea FC ownership group offered the strongest bid in terms of how it would support Stoll and our residents during the process, its financial offer which would secure the future sustainability of the organisation and its understanding of the charity and the importance of continuing to have a positive impact on veterans’ lives for generations to come,” Ray Lock, the chair of the trustees, said.