Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

Seems like a lot of mucking about for 5-8 minutes of extra actual on-field play and you just know it will see games lasting 2 hours plus when teams shithouse the clock to break the flow of the game.

Never mind if it gets implemented in grassroots, where a good 40 to 70 minutes of a 90 minute game is fetching the ball out the overgrown bushes behind the goals.

• Like 1

I’ve been to basketball and ice hockey games in the US and Canada where stopping the clock after a foul or when the ball goes out of play creates a lack of impetus to get the game started in a timely fashion and leads to tedious bullshit like kiss-cam and karaoke competitions and - inevitably - endless advertising. Last one I went to was in Toronto and it was much more like a SUV expo with an ice hockey game attached.

Seeing this sort of thing is up there with the dullest experiences of my life and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same ushered into football alongside a 30 minute clock with the way the Premier League is going (or has already gone).

4 hours ago, METALMAN said:

I’ve been to basketball and ice hockey games in the US and Canada where stopping the clock after a foul or when the ball goes out of play creates a lack of impetus to get the game started in a timely fashion and leads to tedious bullshit like kiss-cam and karaoke competitions and - inevitably - endless advertising. Last one I went to was in Toronto and it was much more like a SUV expo with an ice hockey game attached.

Seeing this sort of thing is up there with the dullest experiences of my life and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same ushered into football alongside a 30 minute clock with the way the Premier League is going (or has already gone).

That's all stuff that happens because of the game having built in ad breaks. As long as football doesn't go stupid and add ad breaks, that stuff doesn't happen. And I can't see that happening because players would be furious at having random several minute breaks and their muscles cooling. 

4 hours ago, Lineker said:

Sounds like Gabriel Jesus is going to miss the opening first few weeks at least of Arsenal's start to the season with another knee injury.

jesus christ