Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

If I were picking three teams to go down based purely on recruitment this summer so far, Wolves would be one of them. Probably Sheffield United and, regrettably, Everton as well. There's time left in the window of course but these teams all look no better than last year, in some cases they look worse, and they aren't starting off from a very strong position to begin with.

Yeah Wolves are looking doomed, and they definitely will be if Lopetegui walks, which I am sure he will. This has been a potential issue since May with him. He did a very good job last year with Wolves. The only signings they've made have been two players they already had on loan + obligation and Doherty returning. Meanwhile, they've sold their best player in Neves, starting CB Nat Collins, and they've lost Raul Jimenez, Adama Traore, and Joao Moutinho on frees. Their roster looks incredibly thin, and also obviously short on quality.

Everton will likely stay up again because of other teams just being worse. Sheffield United sold Ndiaye and soon Berge, plus lost McAtee and Doyle from their loan spells. Luton look more to be making signings to prepare for a promotion run next season than survival this season.

Seen too many people putting Luton as favourites to go down, I think they will cause a few shocks. They might stay up by the skin of their teeth. Bottom three for me are Sheffield United, Bournemouth and Wolves. With wolves struggling with FFP I really can't see them surviving

10 minutes ago, Twist said:

Saw a few quotes on the BBC from the Newcastle documentary starting tomorrow and I suspect I won't be able to watch it. Dismissive of human rights issues, etc.

It was never going to be anything other than that, a doc like this is the absolute definition of sportswashing. I didn't watch the Man City one but presume that was the same.

I may squeeze it into my Xmas free trial month but I'm in no rush to watch.

Luton have spent the Summer preparing for promotion next season, I'm not prepared to totally write them off because I'm not convinced loads of those teams that were scrapping until the last few weeks to survive are really any better so think that there's a chance they survive but it could be a painful season for them. Like Forest last year they'll be going in for a party whatever happens and any progress is a pleasant bonus.

Don't rule out Forest in the relegation battle. They haven't had a good pre-season and have Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool as five of their first six away matches. There could be some catching up to do after that, and then they'll probably lose Niakhate, Kouyate, Awoniyi, Aurier, Boly, Dennis and Aina for the AFCON. If another club buys Brennan Johnson, that will be a particular blow as well.

27 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Oh geez I forgot they moved AFCON back to the winter. Wasn't it supposed to happen during the summer to prevent clubs from losing players?

Confusingly it'll be the 2023 tournament, they moved it from this Summer because of the heat in Ivory Coast.

Forest pretty much need to have Awoniyi fit as much as possible to survive this season. He pretty much was their attack last season, both in terms of goals and how much his play created space for others. I think they averaged something crazy like 2 points a match with him playing 60+ minutes, and .8 points when not. I think Forest having more chemistry this season will help a lot as well.

Bournemouth are interesting because they made some really smart signings in January with Zabarnyi, Ouattara, and Traore. I think Kerkez is going to be another good promising signing. There's some talent and promise in that side, and they're maybe a solid DM away (to replace Lerma) from being able to definitely avoid relegation.