Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

• Admin

A Premier League footballer accused of rape has had his bail lifted and instead been released under investigation (RUI) whilst further enquiries are carried out.

The player, who was arrested on suspicion of rape in July 2022, was initially bailed until a date in early October 2022.

It was pushed back until July of this year and then again until a date in August.

With bail, a specific date is set for a person to return to a police station. Under RUI, there isn’t a set date.

The player, who has not been suspended by his club and has been allowed to continue playing in the Premier League, cannot be named for legal reasons.

A Metropolitan Police statement released to The Athletic read: “On 4 July 2022, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police.

“It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022. On 4 July 2022, a man was arrested on suspicion of rape and taken into custody.

“While in custody, he was further arrested on suspicion of two incidents of rape that were alleged to have been committed in April and June of 2021 against a different woman in her 20s.

“In February 2023, the man was interviewed under caution for a sexual offence alleged to have taken place in February 2022. This relates to a third victim and was reported to police in July 2022.

“No further action will be taken in relation to the alleged offence in June 2021 because the relevant legislation had not yet come into effect at the time it is said to have occurred.

“This has been explained to the complainant who continues to be supported by officers.

“The man was bailed until August 2023. He was subsequently released under investigation whilst further enquiries are carried out.”

3 hours ago, Colly said:

I'd argue 2. Referees, suggesting some wacky branding with that first name. That's the best bit of VAR, when two referees manage to fail to give an away team a decision at Old Trafford.

Kinda ironic though, that in game week 1 of the 2023-24 season, Wolves don't get a penalty after their player is wiped out by the opposition keeper, when in game week 1 of the 2022-23 season, Wolves got away with their keeper wiping out an opposition player in a coming together that looked a lot similar to this one.

Guess these thing do even themselves out over the course of a season (and a bit). :shifty:

Referee, VAR referee and VAR assistant from the Man Utd vs. Wolves game have been stood down for this weekend's games.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Gazz said:

Referee, VAR referee and VAR assistant from the Man Utd vs. Wolves game have been stood down for this weekend's games.

From the Guardian: 

"...Last week Webb confirmed plans to make audio of VAR decisions available once a month to the public, via the Premier League’s overseas broadcasting arm.

He also intimated he was open to referees explaining decisions to supporters in stadiums if Fifa decides the current trial, which includes the Women’s World Cup, is deemed a success and worthwhile. “I’d be keen to make sure that the information is meaningful,” Webb said."

1 hour ago, FLiam said:

Jurrien Timber confirmed to have torn his ACL, likely to be out for season.

Absolutely gutted for him. 

Elsewhere, Manchester United are reportedly bringing Mason Greenwood back into the fold.

They've walked this back again but in their statement put a stress on prioritising the victim's opinions and feelings about his return. Which is absolutely right.

Pretty sure she's just had his child though so assuming she's fine him with returning to the fold. Not sure how the rest of the club might feel about it though, let alone the rest of the league and campaign groups.

Let's not forget that Adam Johnson's partner took him back too, it's amazing what football money can do. In Greenwood's case it was all played out so publicly I don't see how they could possibly think he should be representing Manchester United, even in todays morally bankrupt football landscape.

And again I say this as someone who believes in rehabilitation, but having him play means fans have to make a moral choice whether they continue to go or not, which like the Newcastle takeover means the crowd will get gradually cuntier and cuntier. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I wouldn't even put it down to football money. Having previously worked in a safeguarding team for 7 years the amount of abusive relationships that stay together is sadly high. 

Whole thing is shite really. I'm a firm believer in rehabilitation and he's not been found guilty of anything. 

Unfortunately the sticking point Greenwood has is evidence came out that so many people have seen (the videos/sounds etc) so it's very public knowledge. He honestly would be better playing abroad. 

I am surprised by the decision they're taking, I get United are in a difficult situation but I honestly thought the PR connotations would have swayed it for them. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, damhausen said:

It's certainly not surprising he's playing again but stunning that Man United appear to just be welcoming him back.

Not just that, but apparently briefing the press that the women's team will be asked their opinions on him coming back, thereby opening them up to pressure from twitter scumfucks to abuse them. Which has already happened.

• Like 2

As a United fan I can say with 100% clarity that I do not want that little tosser back in the fold. What he did was abhorrent and people like him shouldn't be able to do what they did and just get away with it. He's a wretched, evil little man and no amount of rehabilitation can take back what he did.

• Like 1