Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

Given United had got away with a couple of cynical challenges without yellow cards, it's interesting that they managed to now stack a few yellows from arguing with officials. This is shaping up to be the game where we really see if the officials are going to follow that new guideline so far. Lively and open game at least.

2 hours ago, Hobo said:

Alexis MacAlllister has been sent off. Felt a little harsh.

Then Jota puts Liverpool 3-1 up.

And now Endo is on!

A little harsh? If that's a red card, matches would be getting abandoned due to lack of players.

• Haha 3

Given that their best chances were a couple of headers from balls over the top, I'm not entirely sure if he'll fill that gap. To be honest I think most of the post game punditry piling on Uniteds performance is ignoring just how much Spurs had improved after half time. In the first half United were winning most of the 50/50s and forced a couple of good saves and Spurs aside from a little bit on the break were pretty well contained. After half time Spurs went up a couple of gears, competed a lot better and didn't really allow United to play until some late changes that seemed to invite more pressure than needed. If Manchester United had been knocking on the door all game and it'd finished 0-0 or they'd been mugged on the counter I could get it but I think it's essentially down to how good that second half performance was from Spurs.

This of course is what gets people worked up the most. Just how maddening inconsistent referees and VAR both are. You would think that Liverpool just send this in with their appeal of the red card, but eh, still expecting a 3 match ban.

15 hours ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

This of course is what gets people worked up the most. Just how maddening inconsistent referees and VAR both are. You would think that Liverpool just send this in with their appeal of the red card, but eh, still expecting a 3 match ban.

Much as I don't think it's a red, I hate this "show a still photo to argue against it" thing, I've no idea what that looks like in motion. It was pushed to its logical extreme last season when someone shared a joke "handball" photo by Sven Botman against Man City (I think), where the perspective made a cross that went 5 yards behind him look like it hit his hand. Needless to say it went viral with "Where is VAR?" all over the place.

• Like 2