The FA Cup Thread 2013/14

Colly

• Admin
An Oldham Athletic fan was stabbed after watching his team play Liverpool in the FA Cup on Sunday.
Merseyside Police said the 35-year-old man flagged down a passing ambulance in the Anfield area after a disturbance at about 17:00 GMT.
A spokesman said the fan, whose injuries were not life-threatening, is refusing to talk to detectives.
Police have appealed to other fans and passing motorists for information. Liverpool won the third round tie 2-0.

Did the commentator seriously just say, "Patrice Evra has been one of the more consistent performers for United this season"?!

I don't know who you got but the commentators on the ESPN coverage, noted how Evra has been putting in some rather poor performances this year.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd much rather win, than lose but a loss is better than a replay at this point.

• Admin

This is awesome!

Bournemouth supporters have raised almost £3,000 to help Burton fans travel to their re-arranged FA Cup tie.
On Saturday, the original game was called off just an hour before kick-off because of a water-logged pitch.
The late postponement meant around 200 Burton fans made a fruitless 300-mile round trip to the south coast.
Bournemouth supporter and initiative organiser David Whitehead told BBC Radio Solent: "It shows there is another side to football."
Whitehead set up the fundraising page after recalling the generosity shown by Burton supporters when Cherries fans celebrated promotion from League Two at Burton's Pirelli Stadium in 2010.
"They were so hospitable that day that there's been a special feeling between the clubs ever since," he said.
At the time of writing, pledges totalling £2,930 had been made, more than three times the original target of £800.
Whitehead continued: "We've been overwhelmed by the response, which has come from supporters of clubs all over the country, and even some from abroad.
"We've now capped the fund at the cost of paying for three coaches, and asked Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe to nominate a charity to receive the remaining funds," adding that Howe had nominated Cancer Research.
  • Like 3

No action will be taken against handsome young Englishman Theo Walcott for his Spurs fan riling.

Yeah, good. I mean...cheeky sod and all. But that's fair play. You get some from the crowd, and you give them the "scoreboard" response, totally fair.

I kind of agree with you in principle (i.e. players shouldn't really be accountable for the actions of some divs throwing coins), but on actually seeing the video of his smug little face still grinning away as his stretcher carriers get battered I can't see how the provocation rules that are in place weren't applied in this case. Possibly a bit of sympathy for him being out for six months perhaps.

I kind of agree with you in principle (i.e. players shouldn't really be accountable for the actions of some divs throwing coins), but on actually seeing the video of his smug little face still grinning away as his stretcher carriers get battered I can't see how the provocation rules that are in place weren't applied in this case. Possibly a bit of sympathy for him being out for six months perhaps.

1) The coin throwing was apparently after the signal, but I could be wrong.

2) That's harmless why would he possibly be penalised for that?

I've heard varying reports, apparently it was in response to coins being thrown, but I don't know for sure. I think it's really classless to mock a guy who will be out injured for half a year just because your team lost but I'm sure there are gooners who'd do the same if it was a spurs player.

My opinion is that it's a bit of banter especially with his cheeky face. Wilshere was rightfully punished for making hostile gestures, this is just banter so I'm glad he won't be penalised but I do think it might be a bit down to sympathy as Colly says.

I've heard varying reports, apparently it was in response to coins being thrown, but I don't know for sure. I think it's really classless to mock a guy who will be out injured for half a year just because your team lost but I'm sure there are gooners who'd do the same if it was a spurs player.

My opinion is that it's a bit of banter especially with his cheeky face. Wilshere was rightfully punished for making hostile gestures, this is just banter so I'm glad he won't be penalised but I do think it might be a bit down to sympathy as Colly says.

The only reason I would want him to have faced discipline is because Arsene spoke up and said it "should not" happen. I get that he's got to back his man but I didn't like that the manager said what "should" happen instead of wording it as what he'd like to see.